Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
I truly enjoy Bru & Hitch's work, but this scenario is truly cringe-worthy in my opinion.

It just seem like a dumb way to get Cap back, just cheesy. I'll probably be in the minority, but Bru has really just brought a great sense of realism to Cap's book/history...this just seems soooo "comic booky" and out of place.
Alas, poor Yorick (sorry, couldn't help it), this actually is a bit of a tribute to Vonnegut's Slaughter House 5 rather than a comic booky gimick. But, if it feels gimicky to you I don't mean to refute your take on it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #12
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I agree with Sam: Luke Cage Noir rocked the house. I LOVE this first issue!
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
protector2814
Phoenix

W/O a doubt, the best comic I read all week and maybe all month was Ghost Rider: Heaven’s on Fire, so nicely reviewed by wktf. Just a perfect set-up involving Marvel's Supernatural King (sorry, but Doc. Strange has just been on the bench too long). Finally, a self contained event comic sans the crossovers. This is a perfect book to come in on if you haven't been reading Ghost Rider but feel like giving it a try. My only complaint and its a pretty big one ... why the hideous revamp of Son of Satan's look. Daimon's gone from having a cool look to looking like a dirty, bald, kung-fu monk with face pubes. I hate his new look, just hate it. Other than that this book was fantastic. Ghost Rider's as cool and fresh as ever. Nice GR villain making an appearance on the last page. All is right with the world.

How did he go from this ... to a bald, creepy guy w/ chin whiskers?
AN update was needed but did they have to make him so "bla"?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
W/O a doubt, the best comic I read all week and maybe all month was Ghost Rider: Heaven’s on Fire, so nicely reviewed by wktf. Just a perfect set-up involving Marvel's Supernatural King (sorry, but Doc. Strange has just been on the bench too long). Finally, a self contained event comic sans the crossovers and self-contained. This is a perfect book to come in on if you haven't been reading Ghost Rider but feel like giving it a try. My only complain and its a pretty big one ... why the hideous revamp of Son of Satans look. Daimon's gone from having a cool look to looking like a dirty, bald kung-fu monk with face pubes. I hate his new look, just hate it. Other than that, this book was fantastic. Ghost Rider's as cool as ever.

How did he go from this ... to a bald, creepy guy w/ chin whiskers?
AN update was needed but did they have to make him so "bla"?
Totally agree and neglected to mention this in my review. Thanks for pointing this out, protector.

I actually like how he was portrayed in Marvel Zombies 4 and think Marvel should have continued with this look.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Totally agree and neglected to mention this in my review. Thanks for pointing this out, protector.

I actually like how he was portrayed in Marvel Zombies 4 and think Marvel should have continued with this look.
Me too. I don't understand this change in the character's look. If their going for an edgier, more current, hip look ... then they failed. Son of Satan looks horrible now. I get that these 70's characters need physical updates, Nova's new look is a great example of changes for the better ... so why does Daimon now look so bad? C'mon editors, do your job. This should have been nixed on the drawing board.
No new series for this guy...he's just too damned ugly now to carry a book.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
protector2814
Phoenix

What I'm genuinely enjoying in Cap. Reborn and what only became clear in this issue (another great review fellers) is that while Cap's consciousness is indeed hopping through time to various points in his life, he's only there for the ride. He's completely unable, at least I think, to change the course of his actions. He can only watch what he did from the inside. I found this concept pretty fresh. It would be like you traveling back to college inside your head, but being unable to stop yourself from playing that quarters game that made you sick for two days after. You'd just have to sit in your head and watch the quarters bounce all over again.
At least for the action sequences. His discussion of time travel with his creator shows that there's some room created for manipulation.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Anyone got any pics of Daimon, you've got me intrigued. Am I right in thinking he was the same in New Avengers as he was in Marvel Zombies?
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Anyone got any pics of Daimon, you've got me intrigued. Am I right in thinking he was the same in New Avengers as he was in Marvel Zombies?

lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Thanks - pretty quick for a non-Marvelite.

Not as bad as it sounded.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Pretty much consistent between New Avengers and Marvel Zombies 4.