Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 03-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #211
ftrez
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.O.M. View Post
wktf, totally agree 100% with you, where BD's and every other version, are excellent, DST 's is The King/Avengers #4 come to life. The crowning bit for me, is the detail, the chain mail design, exactly the way King Kirby drew it, want any more proof, check out the Kirby Collector magazine poster, need I say more?
This is a great statue and I own it but the chain mail design is the one thing in the statue I don't like. I'd go a step further and say this isn't how Kirby drew it. I'm not familiar with the Kirby Collector poster so if you could direct me to it I'd be most appreciative. I'll direct you to the cover of Avengers #4 to support that this isn't how Kirby drew it.

Kirby hinted that there was mail under the costume, not that it was made of mail. He drew the mail here & there, not every link.

http://www.marvelcomics.pl/stuff/cov...avengers_4.jpg

ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #212
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That looks like chain mail to me. It's just not drawn highly detailed. Kirby was drawing a ton of comics in the 60s.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #213
ftrez
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
That looks like chain mail to me. It's just not drawn highly detailed. Kirby was drawing a ton of comics in the 60s.
Okay, I'll concede that Cap's costume MIGHT BE made out of blue chain mail and not worn underneath his costume (though I doubt it). But as far as the statue goes, the mail isn't exactly how Kirby drew it. Hard Hero's statue is done the way Kirby drew it, with mail showing sporadically on the tunic.

Also, take a look at the mask. Are we saying that his mask is made of mail too?
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #214
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

ftrez, I look at it as a realistic interpretation of a simple drawing.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #215
F.O.O.M.
Birdman

ftrez, gotta admit you're right about the Avengers cover and the way Kirby drew it (not every link). I guess it was down to time and if Jack HAD the time to put in as much detail as he would have liked. I will ask my daughter to photo the poster, (she's the photo/computer whizz in our house) that might help to show what I mean.
F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #216
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I've seen this at my LCS and was impressed.
It has a classic comic style with a touch of realism.
If I was a bigger Cap. fan and didn't already have SSCs VS piece, I would have bought it.
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #217
F.O.O.M.
Birdman

ftrez, here's a couple of photos of the poster advertising the kirby collector magazine, hope this helps how Jack seemed to vary the chain mail effect (as you have showed by posting the Avengers #4 cover). This adds another plus point, to me anyway, for this statue.

F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #218
Gwin Sculpture Works
Frackin!

I have really enjoyed catching up on this thread!

When this project came across my table back in 07' I was thrilled, because it's a classic Kirby cover and I knew it would be a challenge.

I tried my very best to blend the cover art's details, style and what had to conveyed anatomy-wise.
It was really tough getting the left arm in a good place. The arm placement works in 2-D but as sculpture... not so much.
I think what I came up with was a reasonable compromise.

I had to make two changes to this piece once Marvel saw it. The original shield was slightly smaller and had the correct
number of rings to match the cover art. The pose actually worked a little better with the original shield. The second was the cowl.
I sculpted scale like the cover art suggests is all over his upper torso and his cowl. I like the revised cowl better myself.

I really put my heart into this piece because I khow how loved Cap & Kirby are. It's not a perfect piece,
but the experience working on it was. Thanks for your comments on the sculpt everybody!
It's guys like you that make it rewarding to do what I do. Thanks!

~Gabriel
Gwin Sculpture Works
http://myweb.cebridge.net/gsworks/
Gwin Sculpture Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #219
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwin Sculpture Works View Post

I really put my heart into this piece because I khow how loved Cap & Kirby are. It's not a perfect piece,
but the experience working on it was. Thanks for your comments on the sculpt everybody!
It's guys like you that make it rewarding to do what I do. Thanks!

~Gabriel
Gwin Sculpture Works
http://myweb.cebridge.net/gsworks/
Gabriel, your love of this image and for sculpting it comes through loud and clear with the finished product. I think the changes you made, though different from the cover from which it's based, are indeed improvements (the shield and cowl are as Cap was portrayed by Kirby through most of the Silver Age).

I remember being absolutely stunned when I saw this piece originally posted here and then even more so when I saw it in my lcs. This statue is just stunning and in the top 3 of my personal statue collection.

Thank you so much.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #220
STAT
Frackin!

Your work was perfect,I mean this one is the best Cap statue on the market!!!
The face,the pose,the details are so emphatic,Cap's whole story is in his eyes!The statue is a leader,as Cap himself,so be proud of him,PERFECT job!
My friend got one,since I saw it I hunt one,but sadly it's really rare...
STAT is offline   Reply With Quote