Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #21
Doctor Pym
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I didn't see anything in that trailer that said it was part of Roddenberry's vision at all. This whole thing is turning out exactly like I suspected.... (Stolen legacy remarketed to the youth movie going demographic)
Great news for the shareholders, I do not blame them at all for doing it, but I do not forgive them either.

I left a small door open though,... (If they preached the Trek message of optimism and space exploration in a way that inspires) and not even TOS accomplished that in all the episodes, if they did that I might give it a chance.

Without that, it ain't Trek.

You want to see a good Star Trek movie?....

Master and Commander.

That was more "Star Trek" than many Star Trek films and show episodes.
Well said!!

The trailer has characters raving about how space is disease, and suffering... Well, exploring space is also wondrous.

Even more wondrous than discovering that Uhura wears a bra from Macy's...
Doctor Pym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #22
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I liked it. Yeah its not Roddenberry's Trek but after almost 500 hours on TV and film I think that vision has been told.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #23
Doctor Pym
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Wake View Post
I liked it. Yeah its not Roddenberry's Trek but after almost 500 hours on TV and film I think that vision has been told.
Fair enough, but if they want to sell us "The Fast and the Furious" with Star Trek props, at least they could use new characters.

Kirk was a lot of things, but he wasn't a bad boy thrills-junkie. Spock wasn't given to violence on the bridge, and Scotty didn't sign up so he could get some nookie. Paramount knows that it can pull in all the Boomer Trekkers—at least, once or twice—by using the original characters' names, and also sell tickets to large numbers of teens and twentysomethings by having those characters do things they'd never do.

Gee... I can't wait to see what Fox does to a retread of Luke and Leia once George Lucas fades into the blankets...
Old 11-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
patrickwm68
The Flash

I say do what they gotta do to revive this almost dead franchise. If this is the way to do it then more power to them.

Hopefully we'll get another TV show soon.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #25
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Don't make assumptions based on a 2 minute trailer that was leaked. Everything you see may make sense in the context of the movie. Kirk has never been a person to follow the rules, why would it not be the same when he was a kid THe trailer gets me excited to see the movie. I'll wait to pass judgement when I see the movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #26
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Don't make assumptions based on a 2 minute trailer that was leaked. Everything you see may make sense in the context of the movie. Kirk has never been a person to follow the rules, why would it not be the same when he was a kid THe trailer gets me excited to see the movie. I'll wait to pass judgement when I see the movie.
The movies goofed around with the Kirk character.

Based on the TV series....

Young Kirk was described as "Grim. I was positively grim." by Kirk himself.

Young Kirk taught classes at the academy.......

Lt. Mitchell: "Hey, man, I remember you back at the Academy; a stack of books with legs! The only thing I ever heard from an upperclassman was, "Watch out for Lt. Kirk! In his class, you either think, or sink!"
Capt. Kirk: "I wasn't THAT bad, was I?"
Lt. Mitchell: "If I hadn't aimed that little blond technician at you..."
Capt. Kirk: "You what?! You... you PLANNED that?"
Lt. Mitchell: "Well, you wanted me to think, didn't you? I outlined her whole campaign for her!"
Capt. Kirk: "I almost MARRIED her!"
Lt. Mitchell: "Better be good to me. I'm even getting some new ideas here."

Stack of book with legs.
Didn't chase women like later.
Hard ass instructor.
Nearly married young.

And of course was the victim of Finnegans tauntings if your familiar with that character.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #27
Great Destroyer
Son of wktf

uh oh!
This video is no longer avalible
Great Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #28
AsOneDead
You got red on you

The official release should be on monday.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #29
Doctor Pym
The X-Men

Quote:
Don't make assumptions based on a 2 minute trailer that was leaked.
Not exactly leaked... it was shown on thousands of theater screens, just before "Quantum of Solace."

Anyway, you're right in pointing out that trailers can be misleading. In this case, I hope so. But trailers are a very good indication of how the producers are trying to *market* the movie... which often tells us something about how the project was pitched and written in the first place.

If people want another loud action movie full of antisocial heroes, horizontal mambo scenes and explosions, they should be very happy with the indications so far.

I'm not. There's plenty of that already... Star Trek had something different, and special.

I'm with Abrams when he says he wants an epic Star Trek film... that's never really been done. I'm just hoping he didn't leave out the part that makes it Star Trek.

Quote:
Kirk has never been a person to follow the rules, why would it not be the same when he was a kid
But he wasn't a juvenile delinquent goofball, either. When Kirk broke the rules, he had good reasons.

Cessna Driver is right about Kirk's character. That trailer isn't.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #30
Trilogy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I like the refreshing take on the characters and ship.
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote