Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
protector2814
Phoenix

Great reviews fellers. Thank-you.
WKTF - I too very much enjoyed this week's Dead of Night Werewolf by Night book. Not crazy about Russel's Origin Rewrite but, if it means he's back in the MU fold, I'll live. I liked the whole Sister set up in the 70's as did I like that his curse was hereditary. We'll see if writer, Swierczynski, incorporates more of the original origin into later issues. Just great to have Jack back. Many more Marvel Monsters made appearances this week. Morbius and the Midnight Sons visit Marvel Zombies 3 #4, and Man-Thing and Spidey's one-shot this week is tons of fun.
Sam - I couldn't have been any more pleasantly surprised by this new Punisher Book. Frank vs. The Sentry....and it worked. I didn't think Frank still belonged in the regular MU after Ennis' amazing run on his Marvel Knight's book, but boy, was I wrong. Remender and Opena roll the Punisher into the MU perfectly. Great book!
Bat_Collector - I don't know, man. I love Walking Dead because I love well written Zombie anything. Kirkman apologizes for the odd ground he broke in this book in the letter's page but I just don't understand why he breaks this ground to begin with.
Does a comic making the reader nauseous w/ dread a good thing? I'm still digesting. But....great review.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Great reviews fellers. Thank-you.
WKTF - I too very much enjoyed this week's Dead of Night Werewolf by Night book. Not crazy about Russel's Origin Rewrite but, if it means he's back in the MU fold, I'll live. I liked the whole Sister set up in the 70's as did I like that his curse was hereditary. We'll see if writer, Swierczynski, incorporates more of the original origin into later issues. Just great to have Jack back. Many more Marvel Monsters made appearances this week. Morbius and the Midnight Sons visit Marvel Zombies 3 #4, and Man-Thing and Spidey's one-shot this week is tons of fun.
Sam - I couldn't have been any more pleasantly surprised by this new Punisher Book. Frank vs. The Sentry....and it worked. I didn't think Frank still belonged in the regular MU after Ennis' amazing run on his Marvel Knight's book, but boy, was I wrong. Remender and Opena roll the Punisher into the MU perfectly. Great book!
Bat_Collector - I don't know, man. I love Walking Dead because I love well written Zombie anything. Kirkman apologizes for the odd ground he broke in this book in the letter's page but I just don't understand why he breaks this ground to begin with.
Does a comic making the reader nauseous w/ dread a good thing? I'm still digesting. But....great review.
Protector, I was waiting for you to chime in on Dead of Night!

Yeah, I was a bit unsettled by the origin rewrite, especially about the father not passing on the curse (yet, that we know) and the family not coming from Transylvania) but, like you, just happy to have a series about Jack again.

Technically, Midnight Sons didn't visit Marvel Zombies 3 other than to visualize Morbius' strategy for Zombies 4 but, regardless, very cool to know they're coming back soon.

I'm still confused about Sentry's return post Secret Invasion (see my prior post) but it'll probably never be told and probably doesn't really matter.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'm still confused about Sentry's return post Secret Invasion (see my prior post) but it'll probably never be told and probably doesn't really matter.
or if it is told you won't know because it won't be interesting enough to buy
Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

This is definately as unsettling as Michone's brutal treatment at the hand of the Govenor, and the payback brutal as well.

My only justification is that Kirkman is telling a story of living in a brutal world to begin with, and he pulls no punches in telling it as he sees it. The actions, though horrifying, are not really surprising (surely there would be some sick guys out there doing this), but it still doesn't make it any easier to read.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
or if it is told you won't know because it won't be interesting enough to buy
Ah, good point, oh mighty Dawg. For sure, I wouldn't buy it.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #26
bat_collector
Galactus

I know I wouldn't buy it, lol
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Anyone else read the Wolverine Origins: Our War trade of storyline? Other thoughts on this one?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Ah, good point, oh mighty Dawg. For sure, I wouldn't buy it.
word brother. And word, I got Wolverine Origins, I'm just way behind on reading...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #29
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
What didn't you like about it? I'll say it was more set-up than anything, but maybe i loved it too much because I thought the cover was awesome!

And I wonder how much the artist, Scott Kollins, actually wrote, since he was credited as co-writer.

It being a simple set up is the whole reason why I didn't like it. Well, maybe the mini will be better?
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Anyone else read the Wolverine Origins: Our War trade of storyline? Other thoughts on this one?
I think that story line as well as the crossover with X-Men Legacy have been certainly the best Wolverine Origins tales to date Mighty Joe Young!!!