Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #381
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I’m confused was your base damaged ? I don’t see any
The pic of the base is from Merovingian. His is fine.

I haven't been able to fish mine out of the box yet to check. It was delivered, and likely shipped, turned over on it's side, possibly putting tremendous weight on very fragile elements like the serpent's fins and fangs, etc.

So the likelihood of it escaping unscathed is not that great- even though XMs packaging design is generally among the most secure and protective.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #382
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I get what you're saying but at the same time I don't really think the things you're pointing out on that base are tangibly more likely to break on transit then things like fins on Batman's gauntlets, hair detail on head sculpts, etc. Any time delicate things like this are being shipped (and especially in huge boxes that people aren't exactly overjoyed to be hauling around,) the odds of something like that happening increase.

I mean I've received plenty of statues that I could say I was "surprised" nothing broke on them on transit. Lady Death would definitely be one for example.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #383
Thor Odinson
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Can anybody confirm the diameter of the base once they have it unpacked?
Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #384
Hannibal10
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
I've seen multiple people say 18"
Hannibal10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #385
pdenham
Teen Titans

The person in the video review posted several months back measured it at 18". Don't know if that was just the top surface or if he was measuring widest points of the figures along the side.

I'm sure Merovingian will chime in with the exact measurement sometime today. If not, I should have it tomorrow.

7.5" tall
Old 08-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #386
The Merovingian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
Base diameter from front to back is 18 inches.
Base diameter from left to right is 19 inches due to the dragon and wolf sculptures that extend outward from the sides of the base.
Hope that helps.
The Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #387
Thor Odinson
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merovingian View Post
Base diameter from front to back is 18 inches.
Base diameter from left to right is 19 inches due to the dragon and wolf sculptures that extend outward from the sides of the base.
Hope that helps.
Yes, thank you!
Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #388
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

From Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210808-143057_Facebook.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	141947  
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #389
pdenham
Teen Titans

That Cap was just about the 100% perfect size, and weight, for my situation. Even the box was nicely compact compared the IS Hawkman I'd wanted so badly, for so long, and which CA basically replaced. The living space I was able to reclaim with it vs HM was another reason my initial impressions of Cap (and LBS) were so positive.

As nice as Thor looks, the logistics of it (for me) aren't anywhere near as appealing as Cap.

Was finally able to clear space to move the box into the office/studio. It'd been baking in the attic the last six days.

To answer my earlier concerns about the delicate extensions on the base-

• Loki
• The globe he has his hand on
• The serpent head
• Sutur's horned head

are all separate keyed-in pieces, stored on the first layer of styrofoam along with the main body and heads. Fenrir is mounted on the statue and his fangs are very tiny, but they seem to have made the trip OK.
When I pack it back up, and have to turn it on it's side to navigate corners, I'll know enough now to make sure to keep it so the weight is resting on the serpent's side, just in case.

The base to this alone feels like it wieghs as much as the entire Cap statue. Probably not exactly, but not much of an exaggeration.
Just the base and basic figure are considerably heavier than Cap's statue.
That's before you add the cape, which is heavy AF.
I wish that part had been PVC.

I'm losing the light now, and this corner of the room is slightly in shadow, so I'm going to have to wait until morning to seat the cape. It's going to be easy to break something blindly wrestling those particular pegs into place.

I'm getting queasy flashbacks to the disaster with Hawkman's wings. Thor feels a lot more solidly cast, and the pegs and keys are orientated to let gravity secure them (unlike how IS foolishly designed HM's wings)- but this damn cape feels double the weight of those massive wings.

I honestly worry about the integrity of this second floor corner of the room under all this weight. The file cabinet it's on is heavy on it's own, and full of papers and books as well. This is well over 50 lbs, with just a few odd siwtch-outs left in the box.

(as usual- apologies for the novel-length post)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #390
The Merovingian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
That Cap was just about the 100% perfect size, and weight, for my situation. Even the box was nicely compact compared the IS Hawkman I'd wanted so badly, for so long, and which CA basically replaced. The living space I was able to reclaim with it vs HM was another reason my initial impressions of Cap (and LBS) were so positive.

As nice as Thor looks, the logistics of it (for me) aren't anywhere near as appealing as Cap.

Was finally able to clear space to move the box into the office/studio. It'd been baking in the attic the last six days.

To answer my earlier concerns about the delicate extensions on the base-

• Loki
• The globe he has his hand on
• The serpent head
• Sutur's horned head

are all separate keyed-in pieces, stored on the first layer of styrofoam along with the main body and heads. Fenris is mounted on the statue and his fangs are very tiny, but they seem to have made the trip OK.
When I pack it back up, and have to turn it on it's side to navigate corners, I'll know enough now to make sure to keep it so the weight is resting on the serpent's side, just in case.

The base to this alone feels like it wieghs as much as the entire Cap statue. Probably not exactly, but not much of an exaggeration.
Just the base and basic figure are considerably heavier than Cap's statue.
That's before you add the cape, which is heavy AF.
I wish that part had been PVC.

I'm losing the light now, and this corner of the room is slightly in shadow, so I'm going to have to wait until morning to seat the cape. It's going to be easy to break something blindly wrestling those particular pegs into place.

I'm getting queasy flashbacks to the disaster with Hawkman's wings. Thor feels a lot more solidly cast, and the pegs and keys are orientated to let gravity secure them (unlike how IS foolishly designed HM's wings)- but this damn cape feels double the weight of those massive wings.

I honestly worry about the integrity of this second floor corner of the room under all this weight. The file cabinet it's on is heavy on it's own, and full of papers and books as well. This is well over 50 lbs, with just a few odd siwtch-outs left in the box.

(as usual- apologies for the novel-length post)
Reading your post it sounds like your pieces arrived undamaged from the shipping journey; that's good to hear! I know you were concerned from the shipping label being attached to the side of the box, which caused the box to be shipped sideways. Good luck with your assembly and looking forward to pics in the near future.
The Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote