Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 02-03-2021, 03:12 AM   #31
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Why? It's a material.....and like any material, it can be good or bad depending on a lot of factors.
Are we sure about that.

I know there are outliers, but aren’t most of the more recent headsculpts with a more than decent likeness to an actor, made out of materials other than straight polystone.

The couple of good ones from Sideshow have been PVC, Iron Studios appears to use either a translucent resin or what appears to be PVC, and Prime 1 again uses translucent resins on nearly all their movie based pieces.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:36 AM   #32
ukshaun
Hercules

Update..
There no is answer to the silicone, resin, polystone question.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #33
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Are we sure about that.

I know there are outliers, but aren’t most of the more recent headsculpts with a more than decent likeness to an actor, made out of materials other than straight polystone.

The couple of good ones from Sideshow have been PVC, Iron Studios appears to use either a translucent resin or what appears to be PVC, and Prime 1 again uses translucent resins on nearly all their movie based pieces.
The thing (ultimately) elevating one sculpt over another (IMHO) isn't the base material.....it's often the paint application. A fully latex / pvc head will look terrible if the paints apps don't complement the base sculpt.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #34
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
The thing (ultimately) elevating one sculpt over another (IMHO) isn't the base material.....it's often the paint application. A fully latex / pvc head will look terrible if the paints apps don't complement the base sculpt.
Maybe.

And yet nearly every single Hot Toys PVC production head sculpt has been far superior to the polystone ones produced by Sideshow.

And then you have Iron Studios and Prime 1. Though Prime 1 have been struggling to capture likeness, they at least look lifelike without looking like some sort of cartoon caricature like so many of Sideshows pieces.

And yes I’ve seen how a repaint can elevate even a Sideshow sculpt, but even in those cases likeness isn’t great. So while I do agree paint app is a significant factor it isn’t the only one, unless their use of a different material to achieve a relatively different result is only a coincidence.

The use of PVC/resins doesn’t automatically make a great face sculpt, but imo it gives it an advantage on those using straight Polystone.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:08 PM   #35
qz33
Baron Zemo

Polystone is the worst at capturing details. It sinks in the mold under it's own weight. It's literally like pouring a concoction of plastic and sand in a soft silicone mold and expecting it not to distort like sandbag. Of course everything matters, especially paint. As far as faces, a warped muscle might go unnoticed but an eye or lid out of place or misshapen eye can't even be fixed with paint.

Polystone is also brittle AF. Collectors are stuck on bias and perception. Heavy and feels like hard ≠appearance quality.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #36
BigMo
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

If they can't do life size then next best would be half or 1/3 scale. I own nothing in those scales, its normally life size or 1/4 scale for me, so this might just push me over the edge.
BigMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:42 AM   #37
alshadow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
https://youtu.be/x7KBUdnoTpc

16:35- They are currently restricted to using silicone for the heads sculpts in the US.
Maybe in a couple years, he says, referring to the use of polystone.
Wow I had no idea that even the materials used is covered in the scope of a license.
alshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:07 AM   #38
BigMo
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshadow View Post
Wow I had no idea that even the materials used is covered in the scope of a license.
Yes weird hey? But that's also why Star Wars Pops are actually bobble heads, because then they are not classified as a statue and can release them.
BigMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:43 AM   #39
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Yes weird hey? But that's also why Star Wars Pops are actually bobble heads, because then they are not classified as a statue and can release them.
Not just Star Wars, but Marvel pieces as well. At least it’s that way with Hot Toys Cosbaby’s etc.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:45 AM   #40
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshadow View Post
Every contract is different and is subject to prior agreed upon terms from negotiations with existing licensees.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote