Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 05-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #41
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

For me, GG is losing my interest not due to the edition sizes, but the lack of product. For SS, at $300 plus a pop, I don't think people want something once a month (or even once every 3 months). But for GG, something selling at $50 should be out AT LEAST once a month. This is why Bowen has the upper hand on everyone, they put out product.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #42
ump
U talkin' to me?

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianco Fett
Exactly!
Totally Agree
ump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #43
Tyrannosauron
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Why do these threads always have to degenerate into some sort of beauty pageant wherein Gentle Giant and whichever company has put out the most recent "hot" piece are forced into skimpy rhetoric to show off their assets? I've got my 12" SS Luke displayed next to my GG FS Vader and they've managed not to get into any catfights.
But let's at least get the facts straight, shall we? Back before their following was nearly as large as it is now, GG put out 7500 Boba Fett MBs. By the standards many people have here endorsed, that should have killed the entire industry. 7500! I'll be able to get that off eBay for mere pennies! And the seller will probably have to throw in a happy ending to seal the deal! Maybe we're not the Nostradamuses we think ourselves to be.
Here are the edition sizes for some of Sideshow's 12" figures: Anakin Skywalker (7000); Obi-Wan Kenobi (7500); Bespin Han Solo (8000); Mace Windu (7500); Qui-Gon Jinn (7500); Apprentice Darth Vader (6000). These counts don't include the exclusives, which add somewhere between 1500 and 2000 pieces to each (except Vader). Why are so few of you crying out that SS is about to go out of business? Where are the ad hominem attacks on SS's customer service reps and website administrators?
I'm of the opinion that any decision that puts more items in the hands of collectors who want them is a good one. If the market can absorb 7000 Boba Fett maquettes, then go ahead and fire up the kilns. If there are 7000 people out there who want a little half-a-Grievous on their desks, then let's do what we can to get those Grievouses there. Maybe it's my Hasbrofied upbringing exerting its influence, but I just can't abide this sort of reselling mentality. If you want to benefit from what market demand already exists, fine; but don't tell someone that they're going to suffer because you can't play keep-away until you deign to make your profit. The value of these pieces will remain precisely what their value should be: however much someone is willing to pay.
GG does plenty to annoy me. I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that I won't be able to get my longed-for Mara Jade bust. But this phenomenon isn't unique to them, nor would the collecting world suddenly change to a gumdrops-and-lollipops economy if GG disappeared tomorrow. I've said it before and I'll say it again: these companies are in business to increase their own profits, not somebody else's. That's not greed. It's Econ101, chapter one, page one.
Tyrannosauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #44
KevinFig
Frackin!

I dont care about having somthing super rare thats going to get me alot of cash, if fact I buy one of everything to keep forever i would never sell my collection, but i dont want to buy somthing that decreases its value over time. Collectables should always stay at their original price atleast. They may be wanting to make as much money as they can with less work but in this buisness its all about rep, and if you piss off enough people theyll look somewhere else and then GG hurt themselfs in the endrun just to make a few extra bucks. Yes all these companies want to make money, but this is collectables, you can flood the market with your product but then it wont be worth crap, and you have to have it in such a way that the collectable stays worth atleast what you payed for it, because who wants to by somthing for $70 and say have it 40 in a couple weeks. If theirs no demand for it then you payed $70 for a piece of resin thats not even worth a penny you paid for it. These things are kind of like currency but its value is juged by rarity and popularity, their not backed with gold afterall. I love this as a hobby, i love GG but lately i have to admit, lately, my trust in them has been shaken. I like to think that the piecies of junk ( my girlfriends words) are not really just worthless crap( my girlfriends words) Dont get me wrong i collect because i like what im buying, but it makes me feel better that their worth somthing unlike my rots vader, han, esb yoda, which i had paid full price for, and just recently a certain online store had them for below $20. 20000 for vader and 15000 for yoda, what the hell were they thinking, why even bother calling the ltd editions? Thank god their cool pieces
KevinFig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #45
Jedi Master Dave
Fantastic Four

7500 does seem high but for the it being fett it shouldnt hurt the value
he is one of the most wanted character in the trilogy. For busts I think 5000 or less would be great but that also should be based by character and it popularity. Han was great but dont know why its not as loved maybe cause of time it came out when everyone is more in the last movie and the clones troopers. With the maquettes I would like to have them stay at 4500 for them they did make way to many yoda and padme was just luck if you got one but the chances of that happening again is never.
The esb yoda and the rots vader were crazy as well although good pieces and loved there are way to many. 7000 for grevous seems high but when i look at the piece and think how many will be safe when shipped i now the final number will be less...so im not too worried. I think its a matter of sculpt and character which will make edition size a problem. I mean there are 7500 greedo , fett and biker scouts but those did well fett more but like I said before he is a very popular and loved character. Now if they made a bespin gaurd bust and did 7000 then its a problem. But then its always a chance that you take on a piece gaining great or little value.
Jedi Master Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #46
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

I can understand people wanting their collection to hold their value but in this hobby nobody can guarantee you anything. Roll the dice and buy what you like. That way you can't lose and you wont feel dumb if it's cheaper later. You bought it when it came out because when you saw it you thought it was so cool that you could not fathom missing out on it later.

If at a later point you have to sell your items for whatever reason then HOPE that you can make a bit of profit or break even. GG, or any other company for that matter, does not owe you anything. They are not Merryl Lynch.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #47
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R
Star Warsn
Animated Boba Fett Maquette - 7000 pieces
Grievous mini bust - 7000 pieces
I know of one popular statue site that has removed Boba from the available list, seems strange with an edition size of 7,000.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote