Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #41
Mammal
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
"My Hush Superman won't be worth $3k anymore" is not a compelling point.
As I said, “before the sour grapes turds chime in”: they can barely contain the glee that this will effect the people who own the 1/3 statue.

Quote:
You're conflating the secondary market and the retail market. The high demand in the secondary tells the retail that they missed an opportunity with this specific piece. They're correcting that, for the benefit of most.
I’m not conflating them as one thing, but I’m correctly pointing out that they’re linked. Again I ask: what do you think the edition sizes are for, if not for an assurance of scarcity in the aftermarket?

We've seen them do same scale variants (e.g., black 1/3 Hush Superman). Now they're also doing different scale identical copies. If the only relevant consideration is whether Prime1 can turn a profit, why shouldn’t they just re-release the same statue? You scoff at the notion of an “investment” without acknowledging that part of this hobby is about the value of the statues. If that’s so wholly irrelevant, why not abandon the entire pretense of limited editions altogether?
Mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:24 PM   #42
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
As I said, ?before the sour grapes turds chime in?: they can barely contain the glee that this will effect the people who own the 1/3 statue.

I?m not conflating them as one thing, but I?m correctly pointing out that they?re linked. Again I ask: what do you think the edition sizes are for, if not for an assurance of scarcity in the aftermarket?

We've seen them do same scale variants (e.g., black 1/3 Hush Superman). Now they're also doing different scale identical copies. If the only relevant consideration is whether Prime1 can turn a profit, why shouldn?t they just re-release the same statue? You scoff at the notion of an ?investment? without acknowledging that part of this hobby is about the value of the statues. If that?s so wholly irrelevant, why not abandon the entire pretense of limited editions altogether?
Yes, and now we know, NEVER pre-order anything from Prime 1 because it will always be worth less than what you paid for it. Wait for the over-flooded secondary market where you can pay pennies on the dollar. And you can rest assured the same premise when you want to sell it.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #43
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

There's lots of sour grapes going on in this thread this isn't a ming vase guys. P1, just like other companies, will release what sells. They're not the only company to release a piece in multiple scales or re-release something years later. Enjoy your statues while you have them but don't ever expect them to hold their value. These are not good investments and I for one am happy 1/4 scale collectors are getting the option to own great pieces
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #44
jcasalone
A day without sunshine is like... night.

As a guy who has the 1/3 Hush Batman, I could care less that they are re-releasing the statue in 1/4. Congratulations to everyone getting this and I will probably be getting the 1/4 superman myself.
jcasalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #45
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Sure, this opens the door to the question of which 1/3 will be rereleased in a smaller scale. But I think it's safe to say this is going to be only for the top tier in sales/aftermarket price pieces. I would've liked the crouching Hush Batman in 1/4 but that's less likely to happen as this newer Bat cave one is the flagship Hush Bats.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #46
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
As I said, ?before the sour grapes turds chime in?: they can barely contain the glee that this will effect the people who own the 1/3 statue.
Are you for real? It's not personal, it's about owning a piece in a preferred scale. Imagine if it were the other way round and the original was 1/4, then years later they announce a 1/3. Nobody would bat an eyelid. Why should it be different going from 1/3 to 1/4? Only because some 1/3 collectors want to protect their investment. Which is idiodic
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:48 PM   #47
Mammal
Blue Falcon

This is my last post on this topic probably. It’s Christmas, and I’ve learned my lesson about Prime 1. But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
P1, just like other companies, will release what sells.
This is just false.

Early on in statue collecting (very early), I can remember Bowen re-releasing their Grendel Hunter Rose statue. They did two editions, and I’m not sure there was any difference other than the box. But that’s a rarity; for the majority of the 25+ years I’ve been in the hobby, any re-releases at least had substantive differences (like the paint, or base, or a tweaked sculpt). So this, being a different scale, wouldn’t run afoul of that. I don’t really care as much about the Hush Batman 1/4 for that reason. it’s still readily available at retail (or below), so they aren’t cannibalizing their value.

But what I don’t recall is a company coming back and re-releasing a “grail.” Sideshow didn’t pump out more OG Hulks, even though they could make bank on it. XM hasn’t pumped out more Hulkbusters or Magneto on Thrones, even though they certainly could have sold them out. Bowen didn’t pump out more retro Cables, even back when Bowen was doing other shady stuff (like releasing endless APs). As much as I can remember, when a company released a grail, they mostly left it alone, even if it meant leaving money on the table.

And while P1 would push out endless variations (making them all worthless), P1 Hush Superman was as close to a grail as P1 had (Doomsday would be another, which I fully expect them to re-release as well).

It’s a very bad sign for the industry that they’re doing this. Anybody supporting it, I feel, is short sighted. And if other companies see P1 get away with it and follow suit, things are going to get real bad, real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo
Only because some 1/3 collectors want to protect their investment. Which is idiodic
Again… why is it “idiodic,” or even idiotic? Again I’ll ask: why do you think they print edition sizes on the statues?
Mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 04:15 PM   #48
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Thank you for proving my point about you having no idea what you are talking about. You don't even understand the argument and the reply went so far over your head you didn't think I was even talking to you. How sad...
Lol calm down, Don Quixote. Enjoy the tantrum and winning arguments against fictional people.

Quote:
Histrionic hyperbole.
"Worthless" this, "grail" that, empty catastrophic predictions. It's the company that has been dropping Batman variants for a while. But a new scale is the final straw? C'mon lol

And yes it's dumb to have a fragile porcelain statue as an investment. Plus enormous shipping costs and box storage headaches. You can bring up the ES all you want, but you know it's another marketing tactic to make people feel special. Really not that complicated.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #49
EStark
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Now give us those overscaled 1/3 Predators in overscaled 1/4, so we can collect them and efficiently display them together.
EStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:42 PM   #50
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Are you for real? It's not personal, it's about owning a piece in a preferred scale. Imagine if it were the other way round and the original was 1/4, then years later they announce a 1/3. Nobody would bat an eyelid. Why should it be different going from 1/3 to 1/4? Only because some 1/3 collectors want to protect their investment. Which is idiodic
Oh yes they would, and probably even moreso.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote