Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #41
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Is it that much of a difference? I just buy regular DVDs and I'm cool with the quality and sound. I go over a buddy's house and he has HD-TV and I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only benefit I see is that it would be harder to copy some of these newer forms of DVD so piracy goes down. That is until some kid cracks their codes too.....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #42
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

My Collection:

U.S.
16 Blocks
Aeon Flux
Bourne Supremacy
Constantine
Chronicles of Rid****
Doom
Enter the Dragon
Four Brothers
Firewall
Fugitive
Italian Job
The Last Samurai
Lethal Weapon
The Manchurian Candidate
Million Dollar Baby
Muriel Anderson: Guitarscape Planet
The Phantom of the Opera
Pitch Black
Ray
Sahara
Serenity
Sky Captain
Sleepy Hollow
Swordfish
Tomb Raider
Training Day
U-571
We Were Soldiers

Japan
Equilbrium
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #43
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68

HD and Blue Ray will fail!
Not a chance.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #44
P1X4R
Producer

wow Dave! you're practically a completist!
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #45
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R
wow Dave! you're practically a completist!
My collection is relatively small compared to the completists.

I did snag almost all the Paramount titles except for U2.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #46
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
My collection is relatively small compared to the completists.

I did snag almost all the Paramount titles except for U2.
Relatively small? I didn't think there have been that many titles released yet.

What's the story with that Japanese version of Equilibrium. Are HD-DVDs region coded. Is this player region free?
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #47
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

I've so far successfully refused to be an early adopter, I'm waiting until another generation or 2 of players is available (both for cost and technological improvements). Although I admit, if there were a better list of titles available I'd be tempted to break down and buy the Toshiba. But as it stands there is not a single HD title available that I would actually want to own. Both camps have really been pushing their "B" list of films (sometimes worse), it's made it easy for me to stay away..... for now.

Besides, I'm kind of hoping to upgrade to a projector system first anyway.... I currently have a 60" Sony LCD, but there are a few drawbacks to the LCD display that have been bugging me lately.... I'm thinking of taking the plunge with a DLP projector or something similar (but then there's the whole issue of waiting for more 1080p options to hit the market, etc).

Technology is too hard (and expensive)to keep up with!
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #48
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkfan
I've so far successfully refused to be an early adopter, I'm waiting until another generation or 2 of players is available (both for cost and technological improvements).

Technology is too hard (and expensive)to keep up with!
Andy, I've been checking the HD forums and a lot of the techie guys on those boards have been rushing to buy the Toshibas. They are saving that the next generation of machines won't be built nearly as well as the current HD-A1. Toshiba went all out and according to a lot of what I have been reading they are taking a loss on the players, something that is unheard of outside the gaming and PC arenas. The machine isn't perfect (the remote sucks and the load times are a bit long) but damn it is one sweet piece of hardware. Toshiba has also been extremely good supporting the machine and issuing firmware upgrades to address any issues as they come up.

Supposedly there will be somewhere along 200 titles released by years end, including some of the bigger films. LOTR is coming. Superman Returns is scheduled for release in both HD and Blu-Ray on November 28th.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #49
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971
Is it that much of a difference? I just buy regular DVDs and I'm cool with the quality and sound. I go over a buddy's house and he has HD-TV and I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only benefit I see is that it would be harder to copy some of these newer forms of DVD so piracy goes down. That is until some kid cracks their codes too.....
There is definitely that much of a difference.

Does your friend subscribe to any HD cable (or dish) stations? If so, go visit someday and have him show you a movie being broadcast in true HD, then switch immediately to an SD station. You won't believe the difference you're seeing. The difference between HD-DVD and SD DVD isn't quite as dramatic, but it's definitely worthy of the upgrade. It's about the same difference as DVD compared with VHS actually, which should give you some idea.

It's pretty common for the casual consumer to be confused by it all though. I just read an article that said something like 90% of HDTV owners don't even watch (or subscribe to) actual HD TV. I think it boils down to consumers simply not being educated about what HDTV really is, although I'm sure it's partly a result of a simple lack of HD content on the market.

Anyway, my point is, regular 'SD' television broadcasts actually look like CRAP on an HD TV set.... So most consumers see that and their first reaction is "what's the big deal? This doesn't look so good".... When in reality they just aren't watching the right content. It's like buying a Ferrari only to drive it around the block. You need to take that sucker out on the Autobahn to notice it's full potential.

Last edited by Andy Bergholtz; 08-26-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #50
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Andy, I've been checking the HD forums and a lot of the techie guys on those boards have been rushing to buy the Toshibas. They are saving that the next generation of machines won't be built nearly as well as the current HD-A1. Toshiba went all out and according to a lot of what I have been reading they are taking a loss on the players, something that is unheard of outside the gaming and PC arenas. The machine isn't perfect (the remote sucks and the load times are a bit long) but damn it is one sweet piece of hardware. Toshiba has also been extremely good supporting the machine and issuing firmware upgrades to address any issues as they come up.

Supposedly there will be somewhere along 200 titles released by years end, including some of the bigger films. LOTR is coming. Superman Returns is scheduled for release in both HD and Blu-Ray on November 28th.

That seems very strange to me, but I guess I could beleive it. I've just read about so many bugs with the HD-A1, I assumed it was logical to think that they will eventually work them out and begin to produce more well-oiled machines in the future, as most products do. Either way, the player is so affordable that I really am tempted... The quality of content available has really been the only thing holding me back. Once some biggies like LOTR, Pirates/Caribbean, etc, come on the scene I'm sure I'll probably give in. Or, if you just want to send me an HD-A1 in trade for a PF Logan, I'm sure I could live with that.