Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #41
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

I actually liked this movie but my boyfriend hated it which is odd and should be the other way around and he even fell asleep a few times lol. I agree it really isn't for kids but let me just say I really enjoyed the first half of the show while he was waiting for Grendel to arrive
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #42
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I saw this movie last night at Imax 3-D and I must say it was amazing! It appeared that the WHOLE movie is in 3-D and the affects made you feel like you were standing right next to the action. The CGI effects were also impressive. I think we may be very close to replacing live actors. Now if they can only do a Thor or Avengers movie like this, it would be awesome!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #43
Exar Kun
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Saw the trailer, but I don't like it at all!

Just have the strange feeling about the "actors": the eyes are liveless. I would have rather prefered to see characters completely created than using actors we have seen in other movies.
Exar Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #44
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Finally saw this (in 3D), I thought it was entertaining but I admit the animation was totally distracting for me. Aside from the amazing surface textures and details, I think the animation was very underwhelming. Even my wife thought the characters looked very 'robotic' and video-gamey. I gotta say, I can't see one single reason why this flick had to be animated... I think it would have been SO much more engaging if it were shot live-action. The characters seemed so emotion-less, everyone seemed to have one bland expression through the whole film. I just don't understand the desire to create a poorly executed facsimile of Anthony Hopkins when you could have just shot the REAL Hopkins and achieved much better results (apply that example to all the characters). I wish they would have gone one of two directions here---

1. Shoot live action, or
2. Stylize the designs a bit more, to avoid the ultra-bland mannequin look. I think something similar to the Warcraft trailers (style wise) would have rocked-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTWDJ25zdc (if you have time to download the high-res version of this trailer from Blizzards website, do it! It's amazing)

As it is, my wife and I couldn't stop thinking about how much more expressive The Incredibles were than the characters in this movie. Those Pixar characters had so much more life and emotion in them in every scene, and they were HAND animated. I think Beowulf is a complete dud in the argument for motion capture as a new standard, but again I was definitely entertained by the movie. I have a feeling if it were shot on location with real actors it could have been one of the best films of the year.

One thing I will say is that I LOVED the music! It reminded me very heavily of CONAN at times.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #45
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Watched it in 3D today and for a guy with glasses like me that 3D glasses is killing me, just can't fit right on my face.

the whole 3D thing is pretty cool and VERY entertaining.

Alright here comes the whining part.

I totally HATE the script. It's NOTHING like the original story.

Who said Grendel is a skinny @ss zombie??
He's suppose to be like a huge monster ape creature.

And what about She-Wolf? Isn't that the name for Grendel's mom? Why didn't they mentioned it in the movie?

Beowulf didn't surrender to She-Wolf in the original story so don't even talk about having a gloden-skined boldy as a child that can transform into a dragon.

And I thought there's a magic sword Beowulf had when he's fighting She-wolf in the original story, where's the sword?

Where's the monsters' nest under the sea when Beowulf fought she-wolf?

And heck Beowulf died without killing the she-wolf?
Is that saying it's going to be a cycle and the next king will fall for the same thing?

Just too many annoying problems, sure entertaining but big blah to whoever wrote the movie, horrible.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #46
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I saw it in 3D over the holiday weekend. Big disappointment. Too much liberty taken with the original poem and this suffered from being 100% cgi. Too distracting and it's the integration of cgi with live actors that makes for convincing realism in movies like this and LOTR.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 AM   #47
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Saw it at a regular theatre, and lemme tell you that NO amount of 3D tricks can save this travesty. There were, admittedly, some really cool surface textures and some of the staging was cool, however there was so much garbage to overbalance these things that it was not even worth the ticket price.

Story: Not even close to the epic. If you're going to do a classic, get it right.

Animation: High end video game at the very best. No sense of gravity or secondary motion nearly throughout. Clothing seems stiff and lifeless on every character. None of it moves properly. Same with the facial and muscular characterizations. Beowulf, the freakin' MAIN character, was totally missing any kind of muscular definition in his triceps altogether!! He should have been cut all over, given he's a warrior, but someone just forgot that the arms have flexing muscles around back too. For every scene that was decently done in this respect, one has only to look at the stiff, last gen bull**** horses to wonder how they got it passed through editing. So many modern films have showcased so much more fluid and seamless cgi work that this movie looks like crap from the outset. The Final Fantasy movie from, what, a decade ago, was further advanced in how to pull this kind of thing off than even the best scenes in Beowulf.

The only thing this crapheap has going for it is a naked, gold smeared Lara Croft with an extremely long ponytail. I guess that's good enough for Hollywood, emphasis on 'wood'.

Here endeth the rant.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #48
Davidian
Omega Flight

I saw this movie the other day, and I actually liked it, I didn't think I would. Angelina was flippin' hot!
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote