Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-14-2022, 07:15 PM   #501
Aussiebot
The Spirit

Yes that looks good. He's quite a bit taller isn't he? Looks like he will have a very good shelf presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Aussiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #502
Biggunz
Loki

Man Vader and maul look great together. Not digging ventress next to Vader though. Pose seems too similar.
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #503
DevGuy
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggunz View Post
Man Vader and maul look great together. Not digging ventress next to Vader though. Pose seems too similar.
Put Ventress on the other side of Maul - solved.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:30 PM   #504
off
The X-Men

Seeing pictures here and all over Facebook made me pull the trigger.

Looks great! I'm excited.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #505
pdenham
Teen Titans

Got my "charging soon" notice today.

Been keeping a spot open for the P1 Lynda Carter, but there's no sign of that arriving anytime soon from Secret Compass, so I guess this will go up as soon as I get it.

I still have some reservations of how much I'll appreciate it over the long run (five-ten years from now) because this is another character that will forever be over produced and over exposed. The artistic flourishes now that make it distinctive have to eventually lose their novelty. I mean, it's inevitable...right?

For the moment though, nothing I've seen yet from any other owners has shifted my initial reactions to it.
It's looked fantastic in every configuration and everyone's particular set up.

In a way, THAT is kind of a rarity to me- ES be damned.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #506
Star-struck
The Spirit

Out of the box vid

https://youtu.be/hJe-jXd8CLo
Star-struck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #507
slynger
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I still have some reservations of how much I'll appreciate it over the long run (five-ten years from now) because this is another character that will forever be over produced and over exposed. The artistic flourishes now that make it distinctive have to eventually lose their novelty. I mean, it's inevitable...right?

In a way, THAT is kind of a rarity to me- ES be damned.
I understand the reservations as Vader will always be made time and time again.

For me it's the "differenct" aspect. The battle-damaged look and the damaged portrait take this to another level. Even though it's probably not "accurate" - I do like the lightsaber flame effect. Just adds to already cool piece.
slynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #508
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynger View Post
I understand the reservations as Vader will always be made time and time again.

For me it's the "differenct" aspect. The battle-damaged look and the damaged portrait take this to another level. Even though it's probably not "accurate" - I do like the lightsaber flame effect. Just adds to already cool piece.
Yeah, for sure.

I'm one who usually dislikes (quite a bit), when artsy-fartsy flourishes are employed over honest, studied, physics-correct, representations. I usually see it as some combination of laziness and ignorance as to not understanding how things work (like how different weights of fabric would realistically behave when being blown in the wind), and brushing it off as "that's just the artists' style, man".

This is a rare case where I happily accept that something (like the cape here) is represented as purely illustrative and meant to be more evocative than accurate.
Same goes, in a slightly different sense, with the sabre.
The whole thing- those flourishes, the pose, the implied setting/base- all of it comes together and works to set a vivid scene.

Mine was set to be delivered tomorrow- but I'm in the heart of the area that was hardest hit in the WNY blizzard. I'll still be digging out the driveway come Wednesday. Travel bans may just be getting lifted by then. There are people/bodies, I'm sure, still trapped in cars here. UPS deliveries- unless they are emergency medications- are far from a priority.
I'm sure the cross country trip it's been making was hobbled several other points along the way as well.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #509
slynger
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Yeah, for sure.

I'm one who usually dislikes (quite a bit), when artsy-fartsy flourishes are employed over honest, studied, physics-correct, representations. I usually see it as some combination of laziness and ignorance as to not understanding how things (like how different weights of fabric would realistically behave when being blown in the wind), and brushing it off as "that's just the artists' style, man".

This is a rare case where I happily accept that something (like the cape here) is represented as purely illustrative and meant to be more evocative than accurate.
Same goes, in a slightly different sense, with the sabre.
The whole thing- those flourishes, the pose, the implied setting/base- all of it comes together and works to set a vivid scene.

Mine was set to be delivered tomorrow- but I'm in the heart of the area that was hardest hit in the WNY blizzard. I'll still be digging out the driveway come Wednesday. Travel bans may just be getting lifted by then. There are people/bodies, I'm sure, still trapped in cars here. UPS deliveries- unless they are emergency medications- are far from a priority.
I'm sure the cross country trip it's been making was hobbled several other points along the way as well.
My sister-in-law is from Buffalo. Stay safe out there, that area got rocked.
slynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #510
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks, brother. It's been one for the ages.

"Big sky country" looked to be having some pretty brutal weather from this too. Mind blowing wind chill numbers.