Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #501
ALIEN
Sinister Six

I had no idea how BIG this thing was!!!

The head is 45 inches long!!

Mannequin, can you please tell me the following sizes :
1. Width of the head?
2. Height from top of head (at the front) to the lower jaw?
3. Width of the bust at the widest point?

I cannot get over the length of the head, its massive but great!
ALIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #502
polystoned
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap70 View Post
I have seen the MaGee piece and never liked it.
All valid criticisms cap70. I like the magee because it stays within the bounds of plausible alien design
while doing away with the entire awkwardly accurate man-in-a-suit look which was dictated by the
needs of film production and was highly dependent on lighting and camera angles. This is the kind
of freakishly efficient superorganism one might expect to have acid for blood. To me the magee
looks like a lean teenage beast while the fewture looks like alien senior citizens and this HCG falls
somewhere in between as a somewhat plump, balding, middle-ager with a pretty nice set of buns:

Quote:
I would take the HCG piece over it any day of the week. Stills WAAAAAAY more accurate than MaGee's version and looks WAAAAAAY better up close, too.
Are you sure about that?

polystoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #503
Vader
Ghost

while it looks good in that picture, the magee version has a ridiculously skinny and disproportionate body. Definitely no interest for me. You have to think of the HCG piece as more of a movie prop than a statue. it is cast from Giger's original maquette. It's not a statue, but a replica of an piece of movie history. the Mcgee version is just an awkward alien statue to me.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #504
ALIEN
Sinister Six

I like the Magee head but the body is very skinny, especially the forearms.

Polystoned, do you have additonal images of the HCG statue taken with the black background as you posted above please?

Cheers!
ALIEN
ALIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #505
FROBAY
Phoenix

I agree Cap70 - I have a Latex foam filled Jabba (from Illusive concepts). It was on display for about 2 years, then it dried up, started cracking and is real crap now.

I find some latex doesn't have an endurance for time.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #506
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polystoned View Post
All valid criticisms cap70.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, 10000% sure about that. I can't care less about Magee's "artistic interpretation" Alien 79 version. I never did. I just don't like that piece for many reasons which I already stated and won't repeat, but I'm glad that at least you understood. I'm a HUGE Alien 1979 fan and his version have been there FOREVER and it NEVER attracted me, so it won't be NOW that I will feel any different for it. If I liked it, I would have it in my collection already. I also refuses to pay 4k for a latex piece, even if it looked good.

Have you ever seen one? Or you are just "judging" by the pictures?
Or better yet, have you ever seen BOTH in person?

Good for you that you like the Magee version. Your taste, your money, your opinion. It does nothing fro me, never did and never will.
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #507
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
while it looks good in that picture, the magee version has a ridiculously skinny and disproportionate body. Definitely no interest for me. You have to think of the HCG piece as more of a movie prop than a statue. it is cast from Giger's original maquette. It's not a statue, but a replica of an piece of movie history. the Mcgee version is just an awkward alien statue to me.
Exactly, C. I was trying to keep it civil, lol, but "awkward" may be the right word I would choose to describe my feelings for the Magee's "8th Passenger" version.
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #508
polystoned
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Definitely skinny but certainly not ridiculous and disproportionate!

polystoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #509
Mannequin
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN View Post
I had no idea how BIG this thing was!!!

The head is 45 inches long!!

Mannequin, can you please tell me the following sizes :
1. Width of the head?
2. Height from top of head (at the front) to the lower jaw?
3. Width of the bust at the widest point?

I cannot get over the length of the head, its massive but great!

Its 45 inch alright... it not even all the way under the dome

The base of the shoulder would be around 20 inch wide.
Mannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #510
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I would take the HCG piece over it any day of the week. Still WAAAAAAY more accurate than MaGee's version and looks WAAAAAAY better up close, too.
I defer to your in-hand judgement of the Magee piece, Cap, and I can appreciate it's an approximated/stylized rendition. However, what I do like about the Magee rendition is the sleek and streamlined frontal area of the head, which I'm not seeing in the HCG piece.

To me, there's a closer family resemblance between this:

and this:

than I can see in this:

But I think the most frustrating thing of all is that -- as you suggest in an earlier post -- a lot of these companies are getting it nearly right but missing the mark. If you combined the best features of all of these busts you would probably see the ideal shape. Maybe one day somebody will do that and completely nail the look -- that's what I'm hoping for anyway.
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote