Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-02-2022, 08:28 PM   #521
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1NG J0RDAN View Post
Ended up letting my order go. Feel like I have enough on order already.
That was fast!
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:25 PM   #522
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1NG J0RDAN View Post
Ended up letting my order go. Feel like I have enough on order already.
Did you surrender a deposit, or was it within some kind of grace period?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:51 PM   #523
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
There you go buddy
Thanks and congrats on guessing it. I have to admit I am pretty bummed about this. I'm sure I'll love the movie but I'd rather have JND tackle Cavill Superman since there are so few good ones out there. Oh well. Now I guess I can choose from JND, Queen, and Prime 1 as they all seem to be making The Batman statues. Geez.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:10 PM   #524
K1NG J0RDAN
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Did you surrender a deposit, or was it within some kind of grace period?
5 day grace period. Today is day 5. Harley remains my only JND so far!
K1NG J0RDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #525
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Did you order through that place that must not be mentioned?
Wasn't aware they did a 5 day grace period to cancel orders.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #526
K1NG J0RDAN
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69 View Post
Did you order through that place that must not be mentioned?
Wasn't aware they did a 5 day grace period to cancel orders.
Yeah. Thankful for that policy.
K1NG J0RDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:58 PM   #527
pdenham
Teen Titans

I didn't realize there was a grace period- though when I pay through Amazon I've noticed it takes a while for the payment to be fully processed. I guess that explains why.

Had I known sooner, I may have been tempted to cancel myself.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:32 AM   #528
skizzoid
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Firstly, in my opinion, no one "needs" a statue....depending on your worldview, it's even debatable if you need air, food and water.

Having a strong affinity for a character can be a great grounding point to decide if you want a statue or not, unfortunately for me, its ALL about the character design, build quality, & rarity, that drive my purchases. I am immune to things like comic book twists, poor movie representation (WW84) or any of those factors that might drive away more "discerning" collectors.

Given the price you're paying here (by the way, according to another forum member, I am poor, so your mileage may vary) I would respectfully caution you against your FOMO, and you should stick to your buying parameters.

There will always be something better down the line - and if you buy this, just because of FOMO, you may regret it and end up hating the piece......
I do collect 1/6 scale (and smaller) figures, and larger scale statues is one area I've avoided going too far into, mostly for money/space considerations. But whatever the scale, characters/designs do drive my purchases as well (very rarely have I ended up keeping something that I don't have a strong connection to).

Anyways, thanks for the nudge back to my priorities, I definitely got caught up in the hype for this and am sitting it out. Mera looks nice but not nice enough for me to justify all the costs of adding it to the collection. On to the next, next reveal...
skizzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #529
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Mera sold out in minutes over at JND, but if you look at most retailers - she is still very much, widely, available. My hunch is that the "sell out" with JND represents, more or less, the hard-core interested collectors - the lack of interest with the retailer allotments represents the wider (real) interest levels for this piece.

I've even seen European retailers DOWNGRADE their original asking price for Mera, and I've NEVER seen that happen before. It's almost like they saw the performance at JND, and thought they could scalp the collectors.....but then realised that their pre orders weren't shifting, so now they're dialling back the price to try to move these pre orders LOL..... greed.

Right now, I imagine this might be a peg warmer (as another member said) - incidentally, just like the JND Batman single.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:32 AM   #530
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Mera sold out in minutes over at JND, but if you look at most retailers - she is still very much, widely, available. My hunch is that the "sell out" with JND represents, more or less, the hard-core interested collectors - the lack of interest with the retailer allotments represents the wider (real) interest levels for this piece.

I've even seen European retailers DOWNGRADE their original asking price for Mera, and I've NEVER seen that happen before. It's almost like they saw the performance at JND, and thought they could scalp the collectors.....but then realised that their pre orders weren't shifting, so now they're dialling back the price to try to move these pre orders LOL..... greed.

Right now, I imagine this might be a peg warmer (as another member said) - incidentally, just like the JND Batman single.
JND has 50 distributors/retailers for their product.

They no doubt kept only a small % of that 1200 for themselves. The quick sellout is part of the overall hype with their product.
They will always sell out quick, and interested customers scramble to secure one through their main retailer because of the perception of demand

Up till now, the ES's have been modest too.

I realize the 1200 ES for this character and property seems wildly overestimated, but I believe part of the calculus for the number here was the fact that there are no other DCU Mera statues out there in a decent scale. None. Not even a HT figure.
There's a 1:1 bust and 1/10 JL version from IS.
That's it.
If you want a Mera (and I absolutely did), this is the ONLY game in town at the moment.

By contrast there are two Knightmare Batman's already up for PO, with Queen teasing yet another one. Has that character had that significant a presence to warrant so many editions already?
It's Batman. I get it ...still, there are plenty of collector's who aren't so monomaniacal for just that one character.

One of the things that is most appealing about it to me, is that it's the anti-Batman. It's bright, it's colorful (and colors we don't usually get), and it's a female from a much more whimsical property.

It makes a great palate cleanser to all the grim, angry, determined, jacked up male figures out there.

But it still absolutely could be a "peg warmer". LBS had the same trajectory with their 1/3 Thor. Response was positive with the full reveal. They doubled the ES of their previous piece and then claimed a sellout the first day. A year+ later it's still available at retail, despite being a phenomenal representation of the character. It's my favorite statue, by a good margin, despite the fact that Thor doesn't even quite make my top 10 favorite characters.

It's always nice when a lot of other people share your enthusiasm for something. But all that ultimately matters is how much the person paying for it likes it.