Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #51
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Bump.

This is a good thread.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #52
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

given enough time, Bat fans will come up with counter arguments that will make you change your mind Teague!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #53
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Batman has no limits! ( to all the columbo fans )
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #54
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPH4T34M View Post
Batman has no limits! ( to all the columbo fans )

Preach it!!!
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #55
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
given enough time, Bat fans will come up with counter arguments that will make you change your mind Teague!
So even Bat-fans have an over-reliance on planning?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #56
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
True!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #57
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

this thread again...

what's next ? a Why the world doesn't need Superman article may be ?

stop acting like a one night stand victim lois.

hearing complains all the time about Batman beat the crap out of my little character's really tiresom. Get over it. Think it as scientific law , your beloved character fights against Batman ( if you want it so much), he gets his butt kicked and goes back to whatever he does. that's it. and its formula is "Batman > your character x 10". Is it scientific enough ? The sooner you accept this the sooner you will find peace.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #58
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Leon got me thinking about this thread with his answer in the Iron Man vs. Batman thread (so thanks, Leon!). And considering that we not only include Bats in so many of these things, but we at one point considered a moratorium on Batman related questions, just because they were so contentious, I figured I'd explain why I tend to vote against Bats more often than some.

First, let me say that there are many times I've voted for the Bat. Mainly, these are fights pitting Bruce against another street-level fighter-type. Iron Fist. Nightwing. Daredevil. Taskmaster. Even with Captain America, the quintessential Marvel match-up to DC's Batman, I give Bats credit for making it a near-draw. (I still give Cap the edge here, but I have to admit, I can cop to a Marvel bias in this perhaps making that difference...) But my point here is that I can concur with Batman being one of the best H2H fighters in the DC (or even any) universe. I have given him my vote in some matchups.

But the thing with Bats is that DC has built up this mythos around him (very effectively, based on a lot of opinions I see here) that Batman is the most dangerous man in the DCU. Superman's said almost that exact thing before (in JLA, I believe), and so have others. And it's very cool to think that this brilliant and well-trained guy can stand up with the likes of veritable gods. It's a great storyline. And it's a neat character thing, except in contests like these. Planning is everything to Batman. He relies heavily on it. This is why he's a detective, why he has the Bat-computer (I hope he still calls it the bat-computer...), all that stuff.

But most of the Batman comics I remember reading as a kid (Neal Adams era) went this way: Batman investigates. Batman gets his ass handed to him by some bad guy. Batman studies up. Batman figures out what's up. Batman takes the fight back to the bad guys and wins. The End.

Again, great stories. Powerful guy. Just not so great in an immediate one-on-one matchup like the ones these vs. threads set up. My feeling is this: if you have to add "with some planning" to your response, that means the answer is really no. Can Batman beat Superman? Yes, with some planning. Meaning no, not usually. Can Batman beat Thor? Sure, with some planning. Or, no, not straight up.

In other words, the vs. fights (to me) have always been these "two heroes meet in the street...who wins?" things. Not "in a long and developed comic arc, which of these two characters would win?" Because the answer to the second question is always "anyone". Dazzler beat Galactus. Doctor Octopus beat Dr. Doom. Comic books are always about beating the odds.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I tried to write this so as to avoid pissing anyone off, and I hope I managed to do that. I like these vs. threads for the most part, and I don't want to see them die off. I just almost type this whole thing out every time there's a Bat-thread, and I figured I'd just say it once so I wouldn't have to be tempted every time.
Could not agree more!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #59
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
this thread again...

what's next ? a Why the world doesn't need Superman article may be ?

stop acting like a one night stand victim lois.

hearing complains all the time about Batman beat the crap out of my little character's really tiresom. Get over it. Think it as scientific law , your beloved character fights against Batman ( if you want it so much), he gets his butt kicked and goes back to whatever he does. that's it. and its formula is "Batman > your character x 10". Is it scientific enough ? The sooner you accept this the sooner you will find peace.
Oddly, this very weekend my wife and I were with friends who have developing interest in comic characters, and I was telling them how the law is that Batman wins.

DC Top Trumps must be rubbish.

Player One: "Superman, Strength 10!"

Player Two: "Batman, Strength 2, but..."

Player One: "Sigh."
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 AM   #60
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
This is where I first remember hearing the "Batman could beat anyone," BS. I get really tired of it personally.
again, agree 100%
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote