Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #51
Bob Aboey
I am da law!

WEEK 14 - Round 1 of my playoffs!!!

Many questions... help a brutha out!

Quarterback
Philip Rivers vs. Raiders
Yes, Oakland sucks (sorry Hawkeye) but they're rated 8th against the pass, and Rivers has a history of poor performances against them.
Chad Pennington vs. Bills
Inconsistent.
Trent Edwards vs. Dolphins
Listed as Questionable.

Running Back
Adrian Peterson vs. the Lions and their 32nd ranked run D seems like a lock, so I need help with the #2 back:
Peyton Hillis vs. Chiefs - Chiefs are awful against the run (31st) and Hillis has been going bananas lately in a run-heavy offense.
Steve Slaton vs. Packers - Slaton is the Offensive Rookie of the Year IMO, and has been a monster since taking over as the starter. Packers are ranked 27th against the run, and just gave up 4 TDs last week to...
DeAngelo Williams vs. Buccaneers - Bucs are ranked 9th against the run, but DeAngelo has been running like a man possessed lately.
LenDale White vs. Browns - 26th against the run, and all LenDale does is score TDs.

Wide Receiver
Larry Fitgerald is going against the lowly Rams and their 21st ranked pass defense, so I think he's a lock. I need 1 more:
T.J. Houshmandzadeh vs. Colts - TJ has an iffy offense around him and the colts are 5th against the pass.
Steve Breaston vs. Rams - splitting catches with Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, but the Rams are kinda awful.
Devry Henderson vs. Falcons - 22nd against the pass, but who knows where he falls on the depth chart week to week?
Joey Galloway vs. Panthers - 9th against the pass and I'm thin at wideout.

Defense/Special Teams - Pick one
Cardinals vs. Rams
Chargers vs. Raiders
Bob Aboey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #52
touche22
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Aboey View Post
Many questions... help a brutha out!

Quarterback
Philip Rivers vs. Raiders
Yes, Oakland sucks (sorry Hawkeye) but they're rated 8th against the pass, and Rivers has a history of poor performances against them.
Chad Pennington vs. Bills
Inconsistent.
Trent Edwards vs. Dolphins
Listed as Questionable.

Pennington: Oakland has been shutting down top receivers and hurting QBs #s and Edwards is not healthy and not a stud against a good Miami team.

Running Back
Adrian Peterson vs. the Lions and their 32nd ranked run D seems like a lock, so I need help with the #2 back:
Peyton Hillis vs. Chiefs - Chiefs are awful against the run (31st) and Hillis has been going bananas lately in a run-heavy offense.
Steve Slaton vs. Packers - Slaton is the Offensive Rookie of the Year IMO, and has been a monster since taking over as the starter. Packers are ranked 27th against the run, and just gave up 4 TDs last week to...
DeAngelo Williams vs. Buccaneers - Bucs are ranked 9th against the run, but DeAngelo has been running like a man possessed lately.
LenDale White vs. Browns - 26th against the run, and all LenDale does is score TDs.

Any of em!! If I were to pick just one, I'd go Hillis (but Slaton a close one). Bucs are tough, Chris Johnson is a better play than White in Ten. I like Slaton, just who knows what kind of weather in GB could do to an offense. Hillis by a SLIGHT margin for me.
Wide Receiver
Larry Fitgerald is going against the lowly Rams and their 21st ranked pass defense, so I think he's a lock. I need 1 more:
T.J. Houshmandzadeh vs. Colts - TJ has an iffy offense around him and the colts are 5th against the pass.
Steve Breaston vs. Rams - splitting catches with Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, but the Rams are kinda awful.
Devry Henderson vs. Falcons - 22nd against the pass, but who knows where he falls on the depth chart week to week?
Joey Galloway vs. Panthers - 9th against the pass and I'm thin at wideout.

I don't really have any confidence in any of these WR, the only one I can see getting enough looks would be Galloway. Breaston after that.
Defense/Special Teams - Pick one
Cardinals vs. Rams
Chargers vs. Raiders
Chargers DST
touche22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #53
adee
Green Arrow

I still really like your team.
Who did you end up playing this past week?
My bad on Rivers, but all your RBs had great games so I'm sure you did OK

This week the QB is tough. After seeing what the Chargers did vs the Falcons I'd be concerned about Rivers. I still think he's the best of the three, but Nnamdi Asomugha is so damn good.
Personally I'd stick with him, but it's not an easy call.

RB's
AP of course
Hillis has the best machup but I would stick with Slaton. Williams matchup is pretty tough and all four of his TD's last week came from 1 yrd out.

WR
Fitz and TJ sound really good to me.

Defense
The Raiders and Rams both suck so I think you're in a win/win on this one no matter which one you choose.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #54
Bob Aboey
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche22 View Post
Chargers DST
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I still really like your team.
Who did you end up playing this past week?
My bad on Rivers, but all your RBs had great games so I'm sure you did OK

This week the QB is tough. After seeing what the Chargers did vs the Falcons I'd be concerned about Rivers. I still think he's the best of the three, but Nnamdi Asomugha is so damn good.
Personally I'd stick with him, but it's not an easy call.

RB's
AP of course
Hillis has the best machup but I would stick with Slaton. Williams matchup is pretty tough and all four of his TD's last week came from 1 yrd out.

WR
Fitz and TJ sound really good to me.

Defense
The Raiders and Rams both suck so I think you're in a win/win on this one no matter which one you choose.
Thanks!
I ended up starting AP and Lendale, and they got me off to an early lead my opponent couldn't come back from. Fitzy added 2 scores, as well, but the rest of my team was kinda quiet. And I'm carrying 5 QBs (6 if you count Carson Palmer) and they all posted a grand total of ZERO points! (Rivers, Edwards, Pennington, Anderson, Young)
Bob Aboey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #55
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I made my Playoffs! Both Leagues!
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #56
touche22
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'm in the playoffs in 3 of 4 leagues, and in the 4th league this is the make or break week for the playoffs (and the team I inquired about).
touche22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #57
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

touche - I like Hillis in your matchup. GB could still be a close game. Playing KC could result in an early lead and a tendency to use the run to control the clock. I don't see how you go wrong with either guy, though.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #58
blue_rogue
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I made the playoffs in both of my leagues. #1 seed and a first round bye in my 12 team league.

In my 10 team league I was in 1st place going into last week, but I lost and ended up finishing the regular season in 3rd. Now I'm trying to decide between Addai and Hillis for this week's playoff game. I really like both matchups, but Addai let me down big-time last week, so I'm leaning towards Hillis.
blue_rogue is offline   Reply With Quote