Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 07-28-2022, 12:03 AM   #591
Mechanizor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I think the consensus is adding texture (scales, cheap leather, paneling), buckles, or undo armor can go. Also changing the look of a very popular costume design just to maybe be ?modern? usually fails - especially if the colors are wrong. Seams and stitching is find by me, it just doesn?t need to be over done.
Thanks for the elaboration... Now I have a better picture of what you guys are talking about.
That said, at the end of the day I think it all comes to the style of the line of statues the artists/companies are after from the get go.

I have no idea if a certain line of maquettes have had mixed styling and details with no uniformity between the pieces, was there any?!

Just curious, because I'm still relatively new to this medium in comparison to most of you around here.
Mechanizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:26 AM   #592
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanizor View Post
Are you guys referring to the unwanted "details" like added stitching, rivets, new modern styling, raised emblems and such?!

Becuase sometimes these 2D comic costumes will look very plain in 3D sculptures!
That's my point exactly, there has to be some added detail for me, to make it more realistic. As I mostly collect 1/4, if it looks too plain then that's not good. I love comic costumes but there has to be something added to a 3d statue
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #593
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Are you guys referring to the unwanted "details" like added stitching, rivets, new modern styling, raised emblems and such?!

Becuase sometimes these 2D comic costumes will look very plain in 3D sculptures!
Excessive buckles, straps, armor, or pouches kill a statue for me. I can't stand any of those things. Getting the colors on a costume wrong really bugs me as well. Creating new costumes that don't even exist in comics is what really burns my britches. Then you have that rare animal like sideshow's Deathstroker PF that combines all of the above.

A lot of these things took place under Igo's watch while he was at sideshow. Now that he's at Tweeter, I hope he doesn't start that trend over there. The only hope I have of a 1/4 classic Perez Deathstroke lies with Tweeterhead. I pray that Tweeter releases one and it isn't ruined by "details".
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #594
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I can't compliment SSC enough for doing this. So glad they're swinging back.
You and me both. Recently picked up their new Cap and Nightcrawler PFs. They're doing some amazing work right now. It's their list of characters and era's they need to expand on now. Give us some more characters that haven't been released and stop rehashing the Jim Lee era X-MEN costumes. I need 2 more X-MEN in classic Byrne costumes (Cyclops and Storm) and I'm done with that lineup.

It's Tweeter that I'm heavily relying on to finish off my 1/4 DC collection. Need a 1/4 classic Perez Deathstroke, classic Martian Manhunter, Two Face, and (a real pipe dream) Ra's al Ghul. I know that XM is now in the 1/4 DC game but they're a company that takes costume "details" to another level (and it's not one that I like).
Old 07-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #595
Mechanizor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Excessive buckles, straps, armor, or pouches kill a statue for me. I can't stand any of those things. Getting the colors on a costume wrong really bugs me as well. Creating new costumes that doesn't even exist in comics is what really burns my britches. Then you have that rare animal like sideshow's Deathstroker PF that combines all of the above.

A lot of these things took place under Igo's watch while he was at sideshow. Now that he's at Tweeter, I hope he doesn't start that trend over there. The only hope I have of a 1/4 classic Perez Deathstroke lies with Tweeterhead. I pray that Tweeter releases one and it isn't ruined by "details".
Thanks for your input.

I didn't't realize that Igo was actually involved in this "controversial" redesign/detailing trend!
Old 07-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #596
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

I didn't't realize that Igo was actually involved in this "controversial" redesign/detailing trend!
I won't put all the blame on Igo because I don't know the inner workings of sideshow. However, as an art director, he was HEAVILY involved in the process and I'm sure he was quite influential in the details/modernizing trend at sideshow. I'm hoping Chad sticks to his guns and keeps the classic trend going at Tweeter. I'm not even against using current or more modern costumes in characters that have already been released. However, I'm a firm believer that every 1st release of a character should ALWAYS be in their classic costumes.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #597
Mechanizor

Quote:
I won't put all the blame on Igo because I don't know the inner workings of sideshow. However, as an art director, he was HEAVILY involved in the process and I'm sure he was quite influential in the details/modernizing trend at sideshow. I'm hoping Chad sticks to his guns and keeps the classic trend going at Tweeter. I'm not even against using current or more modern costumes in characters that have already been released. However, I'm a firm believer that every 1st release of a character should ALWAYS be in their classic costumes.
IMHO I think there is always room for both, classics and modern.
I personally like both routes/directions so long as they don't look either too plain or too exaggerated for certain well known characters... But most of all, I like uniformity between the pieces in any particular line.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:34 PM   #598
PeachFuzz

Quote:
You and me both. Recently picked up their new Cap and Nightcrawler PFs. They're doing some amazing work right now.
But that SS Cap has belt pouches and a silver shield. I guess I'm pickier than you.
PeachFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:40 AM   #599
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachFuzz View Post
But that SS Cap has belt pouches and a silver shield. I guess I'm pickier than you.
The belt pouches are comic accurate. It's from the Brubaker era of Cap. Not a fan of them, but it is comic accurate. The silver on the shield is an easy fix. I've already lined up a local painter for that. You also forgot to mention the red and white stripes on his abs are in the wrong sequence. The red stripe is supposed to run down the center of his stomach. Again, an easy fix. Even though, most fans/collectors wouldn't notice that minor error with the stripes unless it was mentioned to them. I even contemplated removing the pouches on it but I also POd the custom Myriad Alex Ross Cap. It's a true 70s/80s inspired classic Cap that is absolutely spot on in the costume department. Because of that, I think I'll leave the pouches on the PF just to make it different.

Originally I was going to sell the PF and keep the Myriad Cap. However, after receiving the PF and displaying it, I can't bring myself to sell it. IMO, it just looks magnificent and incredibly dynamic. So, since Cap is my 2nd favorite Marvel character, I'll be keeping both statues. As for you being too picky, that is always a personal choice. We spend a lot of money in this hobby of ours. There's nothing wrong with passing on a piece if it's not to your liking. I didn't settle for the Deathstroker PF even though I desperately need a 1/4 Deathstroke for my collection. My wait continues.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #600
JohngPR
Fantastic Four

I feel like there is a balance there that may differ for everyone, but it also depends on the character.

XM Nightcrawler is the example I give of those details being overdone because the character is agile and like a gymnast and wouldn't wear armor plating.

Here it is for folks that haven't seen it:

For someone like Batman, it makes a little more sense so pieces like XM's Batman Hush look good with the extra texture IMO:

It's definitely one of those things that you know where you stand with it on each piece once you see it.
JohngPR is offline   Reply With Quote