Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #71
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Looks like it might be a good movie, hopefully an entertaining one too, and they certainly spent some money, but it sure doesn't feel much like Star Trek to me in anything other than the core visual design. I'll see it, and I'll take it for what it is, and hopefully I'll have a good time, but right now it just doesn't feel very Trekish is all.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #72
zoid2323
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
but right now it just doesn't feel very Trekish is all.
Agreed looks pretty good but I still have reservations mostly because of the Lost in Space remake.
zoid2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #73
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Ok, where to start.

Alternate universe, hmmmmm........I was loosing sleep last night, literally, on getting my head round the fact that the young Kirk, Spock, McCoy e.t.c that I'll see on screen are not the Kirk, Spock, McCoy that I grew up with, respecting and admiring their adventures. I really want to like this film but I need to re-set my mind before I watch it.

Star Trek Countdown: Again, hmmmm......so this is the official cannon prequel comic to the 2009 film. So this will make the film set in an alternate universe, a cannon also. Reminds me a little of when Sisko transported to an alternate universe several times in DS9.

Visuals look great as I would have expected. Interior is still a little "iffy" for me but since its "alternate universe" it'll do. I do like the outside of the ship with the shots I've seen so far.

Warp speed effect, well, I hope its better than what we saw in the trailer.

Am I looking forward to seeing this film? - Yes.
Does the alternate universe stuff irritate me? - Yes.
Does any of this matter? - No
Why? - Because I'm just hoping this and subsequent films will be a stepping stone to a new Star Trek tv series.
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #74
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Saw the another trailer last night with the Watchmen. Looks pretty sweet, though I didnt know it was an alternate universe. WTF?!?
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #75
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I don't know about the alternate universe bit. Could someone point me to some information about this, please?

My main criteria for this passing the Star Trek OS test is the characters' personalities and the relationship between the characters. Yes, I love the original cast but it's time to move on from them unless, like me, you continue to watch the old episodes on DVD. We simply must accept different actors in these roles and simply wait to see how they do. And how they do, for me, is heavily dependent on the two criteria I mentioned earlier.

Sure, the story's important. Faithfulness to the cannon is important. But it's how these characters relate to each other in how they resolve the story's conflicts that's most important.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #76
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I don't know about the alternate universe bit. Could someone point me to some information about this, please?

My main criteria for this passing the Star Trek OS test is the characters' personalities and the relationship between the characters. Yes, I love the original cast but it's time to move on from them unless, like me, you continue to watch the old episodes on DVD. We simply must accept different actors in these roles and simply wait to see how they do. And how they do, for me, is heavily dependent on the two criteria I mentioned earlier.

Sure, the story's important. Faithfulness to the cannon is important. But it's how these characters relate to each other in how they resolve the story's conflicts that's most important.

some months back I think Abrams admitted that the timeline was effed with.

This is Abrams hijacking of Roddenberry's and others visionary works.

Make no mistake.

Can it be a great film?

Sure.

Can it be Star Trek to me?

Never.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #77
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

Hey Joe, their are quite a few posts on the IMDB discussion boards, best to check them out for more info on this, its what I'm gonna do.

I do agree with you 100% that the character interaction is most important aspect that I am looking for in this film.
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote