Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 01-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Advice needed-Wrinkle on a print (Catwoman -John Keaveney)

I won an auction on Ebay for the John Keaveney Jim Balint costumed Catwoman print. John did other Catwoman prints but this was the one I always wanted. I got it at a great price and it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, when I opened it (it was shipped rolled in a cardboard tube via UPS) it had wrinkled creases on it.
(The 1st pic posted). Needles to say, I was very upset, contacted the seller and he agreed to a return (The pics on the Ebay post showed the print in perfect condition). Now I am going to return it (I have until Feb 5th to do so) but I thought let me see what happens when I try to flatten it. I put the print in my "Behold Galactus" book from Marvel and put some Absolute Books on top. I looked at it today and it has flattened out somewhat (The 2nd pic posted).

Now my question is can anyone give any advice on how to get rid of these wrinkled creases? I have the feeling that there is not alot that can be done but if anyone would know any trick that would work I would appreciate the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3696.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	136390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3709.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	136391  
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
mmk123

If there is no way to get rid of these I am definitely returning this. I really love this print but if it is going to look sloppy when hung up then I will return it. There were only 50 made and this one is 48 of 50 and this one does not come up on Ebay that often.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
qz33
Rescue

You could try a restoration pro but probably not worth it and even then it may not disappear.

Anything you could try yourself would involve risk so it would depend what you have in it and how comfortable you are losing value.

Creases are like wrinkles in clothes. Warmth and humidity can help a lot but for where those are and how sharp they started not sure you would wind up with something you would be satisfied with.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
qz33
Rescue

It's a sharp looking print for sure but I wouldn't bother getting attached to it in that condition. Most of these types of prints are not single runs anyways or will be offered in some other formats as the artists' financial situations dictate. Seller probably knew and was hoping to pass the buck on someone desperate enough getting attached and keeping it.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
mmk123

Since I do not have to have it sent back until Feb 5th, I am going to continue to try to flatten it out. I was thinking about warmth as well but the only thing I could think of would be to lay it on a flat service and put a towel over it with an iron but I would not want the print itself to get damaged in doing that.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
qz33
Rescue

Yeah that would likely be too much heat and not for long enough.
It being across such a focal point and over the ink makes it harder and more likely to ruin it.

If you have small bathroom you could run a bath and sit a heater in there to raise the humidity of the room. Could also roll it opposite to the creases to add some pressure.

If you have access to a steamer you could work with that some but you would need to learn how close to get with some sacrificial papers.

Whatever you do slow and low will be the name of the game.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
mmk123

I do have a steamer and I will test it on some paper of a similar consistency. I am going to also ask at my LCBS because I do know that they have gotten comics that they had wrinkled covers and they were able to improve the look of them. Also, there is a person there who went to art school and I am going to ask him if he ever encountered this and what he did.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
qz33
Rescue

Well hope it woks out well enough that you are happy to keep it!
Old 01-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Paper has memory. Very difficult to flatten that, especially not cheaply. If you can return it for a new one, I would suggest that.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote