Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #21
dechirico7
The Flash

To bring out the detail in the bodice, they should make the edge transparent, similar to the artwork.
It isnt a deal breaker, i just think it would add some detail to that area.
If you look close at the concept art, it looks broken up. I can see it around the hair. I think this is still an early concept. I think the actual piece will be refined.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #22
GaryTonge
Kingpin

These are really creepy. Are there grown men who buy these?
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #23
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, I'm a nerd who buys statues, but not Cinderella or a new sexy version of a Barbie doll
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
I won't be purchasing it either but there's no need to insult those who will. Obviously there's a market for it since this is the 4th(?) statue in this line.

I would have to assume it's mostly adult males collecting a majority of the statues SS sells.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #25
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The texturing on the dress' bodice is beautiful! I just wish we had the more playful expression of midnight shock -- as in the dress is desolving, not being formed. Yes, yes, the video hinted at this all along, but I had hoped SS would have changed direction.

The statue looks very pretty. Cinderella has never been even in my top 5 Disney princesses, so I won't be getting this. However, I am very happy the line is continuing. Bring on Aurora and Belle!

And feel free to make more closed eyes, SS. Put them right on beautiful Princess Aurora laying in her bed
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #26
dafadcariad
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Not just men, my partner collects them and she absolutely loves em. Pin-up style is nothing new, it's been popularised since Bettie Page and it's not like comics haven't been sexualising females for decades. Still, it does baffle me that some men are so creeped out by this when it's merely a different style to the same sexploitation they've been seeing for decades in comic art. Ahh welp... to each their own.
dafadcariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #27
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafadcariad View Post
Not just men, my partner collects them and she absolutely loves em. Pin-up style is nothing new, it's been popularised since Bettie Page and it's not like comics haven't been sexualising females for decades. Still, it does baffle me that some men are so creeped out by this when it's merely a different style to the same sexploitation they've been seeing for decades in comic art. Ahh welp... to each their own.
Just to clarify my position, I dont think there's anything wrong with anyone who buys these, I just find it odd that 30-60 year old men like "Cinderella" as a character at all, buy yeah to each there own
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #28
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafadcariad View Post
There's a HUGE difference between a pin up model and the statue of a 16 year old girl in lingerie. Yeah, I have an issue with that.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #29
SONICobra
Batman

tough crowd... i think it looks good but i dont collect this line or really follow his work so maybe i dont know what im talking about
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #30
MgMorden
Frackin!

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between a pin up model and the statue of a 16 year old girl in lingerie. Yeah, I have an issue with that.
Cinderella is a classic figure that is completely public domain and so her "age" can and does vary by whatever rendition of the story is being told. Heck in most modern tellings though they may not specifically state her age I'd wager that the intent is that she be an adult since the whole focus of the story is that she gets married at the end and 16 year olds getting married isn't exactly kosher in today's society. As such it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination that J Scott Campbell's version is an adult.

That's beside the fact that I highly doubt anyone buying these is buying them because of some supposed age of the subject - it's more likely due to the fairy tale nature.

If you don't like it - fine. Don't buy it. There's a lot of statues I don't like and I don't buy them - nor do I comment on them if I wouldn't like the subject matter.
MgMorden is offline   Reply With Quote