Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-16-2023, 06:33 PM   #1
Cheisa
Doh!

What are you looking for in a statue?

This is post coincides with my previous post on how do people start a 3d manufacturing company.

From my research it seems like there's a lot of issues, first and foremost the design. I heard the words "lean over time" in which people stated manufacturers do not account gravity when creating figurines or statues hence it tends to go south over the years. Second would be football, people state how most figurine boxes are damaged like football boxes upon arriving to their doorsteps. While some argue the packaging is too much protecting the figurine or it's too little, some say the box is too bulky especially for small spaced collectors while if I proposed a foldable box or if they would lessen the unboxing experience for less space they would say no. Not to mention others saying for this certain price point the base is too bad or the colors aren't great. So here I am again asking for help, if I missed any problems statue or figurine collectors deal with, anything you'd like companies to implement realistically speaking?

(From my understanding figurines are the mass manufactured ones and the "statues" are typically done in resin.) I can't seem to find complains about these resin statues, are they just that good due to a higher price point, any problems with resin high end statue collectors?
Cheisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
StefanCo
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheisa View Post
some argue the packaging is too much protecting the figurine or it's too little, some say the box is too bulky especially for small spaced collectors

I think without the Polystyrene protection there would be a lot more damaged arriving statues. Esp. if you look at how some boxes arrive.

I kept the boxes for a while, but they eat up so much space. I just got rid of them some months ago, because in 20 years they are still in the same place collecting dust.
StefanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:59 PM   #3
Cheisa
Doh!

So pretty much, it as long as the statue arrives safely it's all good? Extra storage or excess protection is fine? Any problems you typically have in shipping or in figurines in general?
Cheisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:33 AM   #4
StefanCo
The Spirit

Quote:
So pretty much, it as long as the statue arrives safely it's all good?
Ofcourse this wasn't an answer to the topic title, but rather to your topic content, which just touched the shipping aspect. So my reply was about the shipping too.

Quote:
Extra storage or excess protection is fine?
It's hard to say what is enough and what is too much protection. Better safe then sorry, esp. with the struggle getting a replacement part. And nobody forces you to keep the boxes, so the storage part is really something collectors bring upon themselves.

Quote:
Any problems you typically have in shipping or in figurines in general?
Only one issue so far with the WETA Lara Croft mising a bit of paint on the shirt, which might be related to the packaging touching that part. Other than that no shipping issues.
StefanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:58 AM   #5
Westhelle
Shadowhawk

T&A‘s
Westhelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Minimalist base
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:37 AM   #7
pppccclll
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westhelle View Post
T&A?s
pppccclll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
Mercy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

For me, no leaning issues, good engineering design, and materials. You can have best dynamic pose, but if it starts to lean in a few months, then it's wasted money.

I would have gotten the Morrigan Aensland by TriEagles Studio, but potential leaning issues meant a pass.
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:15 PM   #9
ukshaun
Hercules

Clean paint lines.
Non wonky eye's.
Base designs that add to the piece, rather than detract.
Less mixed media is preferable.
Less assembly is preferable over statues that require much assembly.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #10
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Light ups that don't involve USB charging or button batteries

If you use mixed media, don't have it flake or peel eventually

Engineer it right so it doesn't lean

More assembly doesn't bother me as it's less likely to break if it ships in multiple parts

Secure and safe packaging in as compact a box as possible - bit of a contradiction maybe

Ideally a final piece that looks like the proto, but that is hit and miss most of the time

I don't care about the materials used as long as it looks good, couldn't care how heavy or light it is (lighter is better for shipping)
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote