Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Comicboy
Deadman

One more reason to revel in being a cheesehead..

Milwaukee listed as "America's Drunkest City"

(Published Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:01:02 AM CDT)

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee has been ranked by Forbes.com as "America's Drunkest City" on a list of 35 major metropolitan areas ranked for their drinking habits.

Forbes said Tuesday it used numbers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to rank cities in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism.

Minneapolis-St. Paul was ranked second overall; followed by Columbus, Ohio; Boston; Austin, Texas; Chicago; Cleveland; Pittsburgh and then Philadelphia and Providence, R.I., in a tie for ninth.

Rick DeMeyer, 28, said Wednesday as he was celebrating his birthday at G-Daddy's BBC he could understand Milwaukee's ranking.

"I have had people stay with me from London and Chicago, and they can't get over how much we drink," he said. "I guess we do."

But officials at Visit Milwaukee, the area's convention and visitors bureau, contend that the city has come a long way in ridding itself of its beer-guzzling image.

Milwaukeeans have plenty of other ways to entertain themselves without drinking alcohol, said Dave Fantle, a spokesman for the group. He noted a new convention center and baseball park had been built and the Milwaukee Art Museum expanded in recent years.

"We've gone from Brew City to new city," he said.

The new convention center, baseball park and art museum may be another way to entertain ourselves, but guess what.......they do serve BEEEEEEER.
Comicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

One more reason to revel in being a cheesehead..

I was going to slap your dumb ass if you said "the sausage races."
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I think Columbus was third
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Achiever
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Awesome. Just...awesome.
Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Comicboy
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
I was going to slap your dumb ass if you said "the sausage races."
Thats too funny! I take it you got to see one when you where here? Yeah those are about as great as the piglet races we get at county fairs. No lie. They dress up piglets like race horses and have them chase Oreo cookies around. But these things are all probably (hopefully) side effects of the alcohol consumption. We are just making the list of stupid **** people do when drunk that much longer and a little more entertaining. What scares me is the people reading the list saying A) Why didn't I think of that? or B) Now thats a damn good idea!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

CB, not only did I get to see one but I was close enough where I could reach out and touch them or better still grab a bat and smack one of them down. I guess I should feel honored because we were at the game where the newest sausage "Chorizo" ran his inaugural race. Came in a disappointing 3rd. I'll never forget it. No offense, but we had a better time in Chicago the night before.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

AND Chicago's on that list too... Oh yeaaaaaaah! But at least we got more then enough things to do while we're drunk
I remember visiting the Miller Brewery when I was younger up there
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Comicboy
Deadman

None taken. I completely understand. It's been aloooooooooong time since I went to a Brewer game. It's just one of those long standing traditions you wish would go away. Klements (I think is the name) has been around for as long as the team if not longer. We take our brats very seriously here. Hell, if I want to go to a game I go to Wrigley. You can't get much better. It's like being a kid again going there. The place just oozes baseball and nostalgia.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

We couldn't get tickets for the Cubs that weekend. They might not have even been in town. I will say that new stadium is very nice.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Comicboy
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
CB, not only did I get to see one but I was close enough where I could reach out and touch them or better still grab a bat and smack one of them down.
Now that just too funny. I had that very same thought the last time I went too.

Ghost, Miller Brewing can't hold a candle to Heilemans Old Style factory in La Crosse. The worlds largest 6-pack is something to behold.