Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 AM   #431
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx217 View Post
Take that recently released Optimus Prime maquette for example. I quote "taken directly from the 3D digital files used in the making of the film." Right. Now that should totally and undoubtedly produce a super accurate and handsome looking "Optimus Prime". Right? Well, lol, look how it turned out. That sure is not the Optimus Prime I(and countless other) saw in the film. Even a piece that comes from an original mold can look laughably bad(think HCG Alien). Look what Yoshihiko Sano did on his Alien bust with picture references(screw the original mold). If the recent tech(software, scanner, printer etc.) can't achieve how the thing should look like on screen, how a piece that came out 6-7 years ago will do better? Make sense?

Speaking of "sculpting from the ground up just using picture reference." Man...don't let some of the best sculptors in the industry hear that. You've seen that Tarkin bust Jordu Schell did, right? How's the "accuracy/likeness" look to you? And that sure ain't scanned and printed. For sure they know and understand the mighty of digital sculpting/scanning/printing, yet, words like that can get one a spit in the face(maybe not that much but you get the idea). In fact, it's because of that factor I decided to keep the work Mr.Steve Wang did. It's accurate enough for me and I'm pretty sure I'm a accuracy hog. I'll still pick it over the SWS maqueete even they are in the same scale.

As for the LSF Predator. If they are really planning one, I'm definitely looking forward to it! And if SS can nail it(not if they don't work with Legacy or get the sculptor who did that Neca's 18" on board). My CM will be out of the door, just like that. Personally, it's the best part of collecting, looking and waiting for the best to come. Minimum inaccuracy is all I'm looking for. A definitive piece is yet to come.
I didn't say anything disrespectful about sculpting from the ground up, yet you make it sound like I did. I don't know why you brought up the other pieces cause we're talking Predator collectibles (CM vs. SS). You can even take the Neca Preds, great sculpts and way more accurate then the CM, but still not more accurate then the SS version and there is no debate that the Neca Preds are the most accurate Preds ever sculpted from scratch, though Scott Marshall did a damn good job himself.

The Transformer statue may be a scan, but it's not scanned from a physical prop, huge difference because OP is a CGI character. I had the real deal full size Pred from the original SWS molds, I think I can see for myself what is more accurate. HCG is known for their blunders, so comparing that piece to other situations isn't a very good example considering how many SS pieces that came from original molds have never been beaten by a brand new sculpt from scratch. I'm sure your very satisfied with your CM Pred, but let's not forget you had to do a bunch of re-modifications to it to please you. You've said the SS maquette isn't as accurate as I feel, but you really haven't presented any evidence to support your claim.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #432
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

I have both the CM and SS maquette and love them both (as well as Sideshows 1:1 bust). Those three for me are the holy trinity of Predator pieces. And if SS does come up with an LSF, then great, but I wont be selling the CM, the maquette or the bust to get it.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #433
thx217
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
You've said the SS maquette isn't as accurate as I feel, but you really haven't presented any evidence to support your claim.
Like I said, we are long pass that. You missed my point and I don't think you were disrespectful. Just to point out this("I realize a laser scan isn't 100% perfect,but it is more accurate then sculpting from the ground up just using picture reference.") is just not true.

And yes, Scott did a fantastic job on his closed and opened mouth Predator. I have the closed-mouth version.

P.S. Messing with the CM piece is fun but the fact is nothing has really changed.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #434
thx217
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
I have both the CM and SS maquette and love them both (as well as Sideshows 1:1 bust). Those three for me are the holy trinity of Predator pieces. And if SS does come up with an LSF, then great, but I wont be selling the CM, the maquette or the bust to get it.
I'm definitely keep the bust.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #435
azurepred
Zot

The only thing I don't like about the bust is the paint, some look ok, some look good, and others look not so hot. I had the opportunity to pick up the 1:2 Endo, P1 bust and Warrior bust, but decided to go with a BobbyC Joker and the Warrior bust, we'll see if I regret that decision
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #436
thx217
Ultimates

Indeed. Some of the P1 pieces need some major overhaul. Quality wise, mass produced pieces will never beat Bobby's artist proof works. Maybe Scott's new open-mouth version will get your attention.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #437
azurepred
Zot

Scott does owe me a P1 head, but he hasn't even finished my Elder bust/torso yet and it's been a year . It will prolly take another year just to get the head.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #438
solidsnake 36
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I have the life size bust and got my CM Predator last year, I love them both.
solidsnake 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #439
thx217
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
Scott does owe me a P1 head, but he hasn't even finished my Elder bust/torso yet and it's been a year . It will prolly take another year just to get the head.
Same here. My head and bust(body)(raw casts) arrived not too long ago but the dread, eyes and other stuff are still no not here yet and it's been about 9 months. I have to say, the Canada post is not the best to ship stuff,lol. Still very much in contact with Scott and was told a new box will be shipped to replace that "lost" one.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #440
Python
Omega Red

Necro alert! But this one is worth it I think to remind ourselves how awesome this guy is. Finally got myself an EX one of these recently, it is amazing frankly! It deserves every bit of praise it gets and it really does look like the Predator has jumped out of the screen, it even has proper lenses, something even the 1:1s have been lacking for years now, it's beautiful...

Might be a long shot given how old the item is and how long ago any faulty items may have been smashed up. But does anybody have a spare regular head for one of these? I bought mine knowing the regular head had damage. I can fix it but after looking at it in detail, it is going to be an awful lot of work (as in some snapped off dreads need re-scultping, every single quill needs drilling out and replacing and it will probably need near enough a full repaint after it is all done. Will be much easier to try and buy another short term.

Python is offline   Reply With Quote