Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #141
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

I enjoyed the series. I like Sam because he's a good man. I like Steve for the same reason.

I'm glad Bucky is getting his mind and his life back. Hydra stole his life, his mind, his whole identity from him and I hope he's allowed to get back to being a good guy instead of a mind wiped assassin waiting to happen. This series seemed to show the healing happening for Bucky and I hope it's allowed to continue.

I thought Sam's costume looked awesome.

We'll have to talk about the Power Broker after everyone's watched the final episode...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #142
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
People who use the phrase "woke" are using it in conservative talking points, correct?
Glad you asked. By “woke” I mean going way over and above in taking firm stances on racial and gender politics to virtue signal to an audience.

I believe the show had some great messages and the ending was good. However, the show took very politically motivated stances on border policies and population control measures. It also painted a very dire image of race in America. America is not the ideal state, but it is fathoms ahead of the rest in the world regarding equality and this message needs to go to children to foster a generation of people who see the flaws yet love their country. The undertone of the show was one of resentment and oppression. Still enjoyable, but I don’t need my comic shows saying things like “people like you” and giving me diversity lessons.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:58 AM   #143
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Wooo Captain America 4 has been announced. There's one item off my wishlist.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #144
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Glad you asked. By “woke” I mean going way over and above in taking firm stances on racial and gender politics to virtue signal to an audience.

I believe the show had some great messages and the ending was good. However, the show took very politically motivated stances on border policies and population control measures. It also painted a very dire image of race in America. America is not the ideal state, but it is fathoms ahead of the rest in the world regarding equality and this message needs to go to children to foster a generation of people who see the flaws yet love their country. The undertone of the show was one of resentment and oppression. Still enjoyable, but I don’t need my comic shows saying things like “people like you” and giving me diversity lessons.
Maybe America is better because entertainment companies are pushing the feelings and realities that African Americans have had and are going through. America maybe better on race relations then some other countries, but its certainly not because all American citizens are trying to do that. Quite opposite we have a large part of the country making it more difficult on people of color, transgender or gay. They are doing this by saying that these people are taking away something from them. The agitator is claiming their the victim.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #145
adee
Green Arrow

I enjoyed the series. I felt the final episode was pretty predictable and I liked WandaVision more but so far so good with Disney+ for me. Really looking forward to Loki.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #146
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:

For me, this is actually one of the strongest points of the series. I´m tired of blockbusters and superheroes properties showing a one minute scene of their female superheroes fighting together and calling that feminist or putting 2 nobodies of the same sex kissing each other and thinking they are representing LGBT people.

This time they did not stay only in the tangent, but they went head on on a difficult theme. If you are going to talk about racism, talk about racism. And that´s what they did here.

Also, anybody that knows about Marvel comics history can see that the company frequently put progressist themes throught their history, it´s nothing new. Some exemples: Ms. Marvel being a muslim, Miles Morales as Spider Man, portraying Nixon and Reagen as villains in Captain America comics, government surveillance in Civil War, Black Panther being created in 1966 as an african american hero, racism being a very explicit theme in X-Men comics all the way back to the 60s (and with characters inspired by civil rights leaders)...

I honestly thought for a while that one of the things that the MCU was actually missing was Marvel proximity with themes that are proeminent in the society. It´s great to see they approaching them more and more.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #147
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Finally got a chance to watch the finale. It was good, not great IMO but Same did look great in the costume. I wish there had been a more dramatic introduction of him in it instead of jumping straight to the action.

My husband watches the show with me, he is not a comic geek but bless him he does suspend disbelief long enough to get through. He actually had an explain out loud moment when Sam threw the shield and it hit the chair because it was so ridiculous that a chair would ---- up the situation. I thought it was so funny he actually had an immediate reaction to a scene

Bucky is one of my favorite characters in the MCU because he's just so tortured. Stan has done a fabulous job in the role and I look forward to seeing him more. Also, the more they show members of the Thunderbolts - the more excited I become. US Agent is no exception. Bring it on.

Now what did we want to talk about with Power Broker?

Quote:

Race in America is a big deal. It has been for years. And it is especially a big deal in comic culture when you see readers and buyers ranting and raving when a "classic" character undergoes a race change. It can be so crazily toxic and evil it's disgusting. I thought the show hit on things that matter - and that to me - is what Captain America has always been about. He is the most "normal" and "real" one of all the supes and his message is that of trying to build and have a better America, which we are doing.

Also, I think the show did a great job reminding people that the civil rights movement wasn't that long ago. Some like to make it seem like it was centuries ago acting like we have come so far. No. No it was not. America had segregated schools, buses, water fountains, military, etc less than 100 years ago. We have come far, but not that far - and certainly not that far if you're a woman. But that's another topic for another day. I think they did show that America is healing and the future is one of acceptance and understanding.

One thing I'm a little taken aback by is the comments where people are salty that Wakanda made Sam's suit. I thought the suit was great and I thought it was cool that Wakanda helped whip him up some amazing new gear. I didn't think anything racial about it, but clearly to some it's a race relations issue. I don't get it, but maybe somebody could help me out with that??

To end, it's interesting to me when people have no problem with enjoying the X-Men stories and finding their talks of acceptance and racism more palatable when the characters aren't just black and white. I've never heard anybody complain about how they are giving "diversity lessons". Maybe it's less uncomfortable for people to watch when the have a genetic-based given power set or look like Nightcrawler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I enjoyed the series. I felt the final episode was pretty predictable and I liked WandaVision more but so far so good with Disney+ for me. Really looking forward to Loki.
Loki should be so much fun!!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #148
protector2814
Phoenix

Didn't we clearly see, in the middle of Captain America, The First Avenger, that after Dr. Erskine was killed & the final vial of serum crushed, that that was it, there was no more Super Soldier Serum?. How come there was so much of it rattling around in Falcon & The Winter Soldier? & what war was Isaiah Bradley injected with his serum? Was it WWII? Cause if so, where did it come from. Is Marvel implying, with this show, that the serum was quickly recreated after making such a big deal of the last vial being destroyed in 1st Avenger? I also realize that Ted Sallis, The Man-Thing was working on a version of the Super Soldier formula but he had no notes from Erskine may have left behind.

Even the Serum that Emil Blonski used in The Incredible Hulk, which does exist within the MCU, was a botched attempt at recreating the serum, causing him to turn in to The Abomination.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #149
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Didn't we clearly see, in the middle of Captain America, The First Avenger, that after Dr. Erskine was killed & the final vial of serum crushed, that that was it, there was no more Super Soldier Serum?. How come there was so much of it rattling around in Falcon & The Winter Soldier? & what war was Isaiah Bradley injected with his serum? Was it WWII? Cause if so, where did it come from. Is Marvel implying, with this show, that the serum was quickly recreated after making such a big deal of the last vial being destroyed in 1st Avenger? I also realize that Ted Sallis, The Man-Thing was working on a version of the Super Soldier formula but he had no notes from Erskine may have left behind.
Bradley was one of many guinea pigs used by the government to test replicating the Super Soldier Serum. So, starting from or near scratch. Korean War, btw.

As I recall from episode 3, he's the only successful subject, and the mad scientist putz in the shipping-container-lab said the government had samples of his blood with "semi-stable traces" of the serum. Yadda, yadda, yadda - he was able to isolate the compounds. Voila - new super soldiers for the show. The serum once again apparently gone... until Marvel need it again.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #150
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Why am I remembering the show differently. Isn’t Bradley is from WW2 too - he clearly says he remembers the “Red Tails” which is the first African American aerial unit used in WW2. I think he and Cap were created during the same war. What I don’t recall (or maybe we weren’t told) is if he was injected before or Steve.

From there is was explained that it took years to redevelop the serum for what they had in the show.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote