Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 9/16/10

Wktf’s Reviews

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #3
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Dale Eaglesham
Cover by: Carlos Pacheco

If there’s one writer out there who knows how to write Steve Rogers, in every possible situation and scenario, there’s no doubt that writer is Ed Brubaker. We’ve heard over and over throughout the years that it’s not the super soldier serum that makes Captain America but, rather, it’s the man himself, Steve Rogers. When Cap has been at his fighting peak (and, let’s face it, when has he not ever been at his peak) he has faced seemingly hopelessly outnumbering odds, with his enemy screaming, “Stop him! After all, he’s just one man!” And, of course, we the reader would simply smile waiting for all the Captain America classic and frenetic whirlwind of fighting action that we knew would be coming. No odds ever were too great for Captain America. And this third issue of Super Soldier pays that concept off in spades, not only in the action we witness but also by getting inside Steve’s head and hearing his supremely confident thoughts as he deals with and conquers the task at hand.

And what a task! Commander Rogers has journeyed to Madripoor in search of Dr. Erskine’s grandson who, Steve fears, has manufactured the super soldier serum with the intention of creating an army of super soldiers or selling it off to the highest bidder. Knowing that this formula has killed or driven mad everyone who’s been subjected to it, with Steve’s being the lone exception, Rogers is out to investigate and possibly put a stop to this activity. But, in comics, situations are rarely what they seem and Steve actually falls prisoner to one of his oldest foes and, having been exposed to an Anti-Vita Ray (remember, the super soldier serum is not effective by itself, without the additional Vita Ray bombardment), has been reduced to his original pre-Cap scrawny former self. Captured by a small army of super soldiers, reliving memories of growing up scrawny in Brooklyn and tortured by other kids, a depowered skin-and-bones Steve must fight and find his way back with nothing but his wits and, of course, the training of the greatest combat soldier the world has known. And, as Steve finds himself down and facing overwhelming odds, it is here that the reader is given the rare privilege of looking into what actually makes Steve Rogers tick, makes him the hero and fighter he is today, and makes him THE leader among Marvel’s heroes.

Brubaker has never been better than when he’s writing Steve Rogers. He was great on Batman and Gotham Central. I loved his run on Daredevil. I love what he’s doing with Bucky now in Cap’s book. But Steve Rogers is the character for whom Bru really seems to have the best feeling and shows the most love, as shown in his earlier Cap work, on Secret Avengers and with this title. And Dale Eagelsham’s art is inspired. A cross somewhere between Jack Kirby and John Romita, Sr., really delivering the power, the emotion and the action this story demands. Most definitely, this book is my pick of the week.

Thor: For Asgard #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Robert Rodi
Drawn by: Simone Bianchi
Cover by: Simone Bianchi

Life could only be worse in Asgard if Ragnarok was upon the Eternal Realm. Loki has orchestrated Baldar’s murder, a killer winter is into its third year, Asgard’s vassals have taken this opportunity to launch attacks against the realm, Odin has gone wandering to parts unknown and has left Asgard in Thor’s care and under his rule, for some unexplained reason the Thunder God is no longer able to lift Mjolnir, and the killing frost has made it impossible for Idunn to grow the golden apples whose consumption is necessary for the Asgardians to maintain their immortality. Hopelessness and despair both have fallen on Asgard as hard as this punishing winter, and Thor seems unable to maintain his comrades’ spirits and camaraderie much less save the Realm in his father’s absence.

One reason Thor is such as great character is that he’s so incredibly versatile from a storytelling perspective. He’s equally suitable for a down-to-Earth superhero story, a cosmic science-fiction oriented adventure, or one centered in the world of mythology and magic. This story falls into that last camp of all-Asgard, all-the-time. Rodi is spinning a particularly dark and savage tale, the savagery ramped up a notch by having Thor wield an ax in place of his hammer, and pairing him up with Bianchi (whose art is always impressive but almost never to my taste) was an inspired move. Bianchi’s dark, richly textured imagery is an integral part of this series’ desperate storytelling feel. While I don’t much care for his alterations to Thor’s garb (a skull on his helmet and his belt…really? Sure, while no stranger to killing his enemies, is Thor really that dark a character?), Bianchi really delivers the goods here to create a story where emotions run fast and high, confusion and desperation are the feelings of the day, and hope seems a far distant thing.

There’s little doubt that Baldar’s death and Asgard’s brutal winter are somehow linked. By why can’t Thor lift his hammer? Has he become unworthy, somehow? And with attacks coming to Asgard from without last issue and from within this issue, just what needs to be done to restore Asgard’s spirit? And how does Odin’s absence relate, if at all, to Thor’s problems with Mjolnir? Certainly, as the Thor movie draws nearer Marvel will be pumping out more and more Thor product. Some will hit, and some will miss. This creative team has produced one that’s definitely hit, at least after the first two issues, by providing a key moment in Asgard’s storied history, supported by some actually mythological lore (Baldar’s death), and showing us possibly one of Thor’s earliest moments of leadership when the chips couldn’t be more down (his father’s gone, he can’t lift Mjolnir, his enemies seem to be everywhere, his peoples’ spirits and morale are falling, and their doom is imminent if Idunn can’t grow her apples). So far this is proving to be a terrific addition to Marvel’s Thor legacy.

Thor: First Thunder #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Bryan J. L. Glass
Drawn by: Tan Eng Huat
Cover by: Jay Anacleto

Okay, well, as noted in the review above, as the Thor movie draws nearer Marvel will be pumping out more and more Thor product. Some will hit, and some will miss. This retelling of Thor’s Marvel beginnings feels more like a miss. Supposedly, this title will cover the exploration of Donald Blake, his relationship to Thor, Thor’s first encounter with Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic, and of course his first modern confrontation with Loki. But first, we need to provide the origin of how Thor escapes the imprisonment and abandonment from his father, Odin, as Blake must once again scamper away from the Stone Men of Saturn. In Thor’s own series, JMS has done something different with the Blake/Thor relationship by making both Blake an Thor exist at the same time, though in different planes of reality. Kind of like Rick Jones and Captain Mar-Vel did in Mar-Vel’s early days. Stan showed us that Blake and Thor really were the same person, with the same brain and psyche, just in different forms. And Dan Jurgens accentuated that point when Thor went mad after Odin separated Jake Olson from him, removing a critical element of Thor’s true nature and being. Glass seems to be pushing that fact JMS was establishing that the two actually are separate entities. A change that doesn’t really help the character, in my opinion.

Anyway, in this issue we see Blake’s discovery of the ancient walking stick after fleeing from the Stone Men and being trapped in a cave. We see his defeat of the Stone Men. We hear both Blake and Thor rail out against their fathers. And, of course, we get a sense that Loki’s mischief is right around the corner. But do we get anything new, or even interesting, from this tale as we did when Marvel put out its MAX series’ for Werewolf by Night and Man-Thing? Sadly, no. There’s nothing really compelling about this storyline that, thus far, makes this “legend reborn with a modern touch,” as Marvel touts on their site, really worth picking up. Huat’s art is stiff and jerky. Thor doesn’t look nearly as powerful or as regal as he should. And Glass’ story just doesn’t deliver anything that feels compelling or new. Save your money on this series and put it towards picking up the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus when it comes out in a few months.

Thunderbolts #148
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jeff Parker
Drawn by: Declan Shalvey
Cover by: Frank Martin

With this issue The Thunderbolts come to Shadowland. Cage already has been a pretty integral part of Shadowland, being one of the street level heroes trying to deal with Daredevil’s mess and talk some sense into his friend, Matt Murdock. But with this issue we learn the situation’s become a little personal to Cage. One of the cops who’ve disappeared into the bowels of Shadowland actually is the son of one of Cage’s street contacts, someone Cage actually thought was long dead, and someone who calls Cage “Carl Lucas.” You know he must be a long time friend and contact. Cage’s efforts with Iron Fist, Shang-Chi and Spider-Man haven’t delivered any results against Daredevil and his Hand ninjas, so now it looks like it might be time to take his ragged criminal strike force into Shadowland to get the job done right. Though, possibly against his better judgment, Cage is sending them in alone. Looking down and sad at the thought of needing to go topside to help turn Daredevil around, Cage is separating from the team of killers now in his charge.

This book has been one of the best post-Siege books Marvel’s been putting out. From the writing, to the art, to the absolutely inspired team roster, Thunderbolts has been delivering slammin’ action, some tense dynamics, an always unpredictable direction and killer dialogue. On that last point, when Cage took out the Ninja posing as Iron Fist and uttered, “Ninja, please” I nearly rolled out of my chair laughing. Now we’ve got a group of psychotic killers without their handler going up against another group of psychotic killers. I’m just not sure it gets much better than this. Overall, Shadowland has been a bit of a letdown but, that said, I’m really looking forward to the fireworks that are bound to hit next issue in this title, a title that simply hasn’t missed once since it’s new direction started.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Steve Rogers ROCKS!

I mean both character and book.

I got neither Thor FA nor Thor FT because of that Simonson Omnibus plus I didn't like the art of Bianchi in Astonishing X-Men.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote