Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
BillC
Hellboy

I can see that being a prelim.

I'm usually pretty greedy so I always ask for the prelim to be sent with the finished piece
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

If that's the prelim it should have been offered to you first
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryT View Post
If that's the prelim it should have been offered to you first
I agree, although Court may have not even known there was a prelim. From my understanding he has a lot of foreign artists who send him big ol packages of art to sell...
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Victra
Justice League

Wow that's terrible hope something gets worked out. good luck man.
Victra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

a resolution came out of this. after some back and forth with court, the decision was made to take down the ebay listing, which was the right thing to do and would have been the proper initial response.

court has asked me to post the below. i will refrain from making initial comments since at the end of the day i was able to get what i asked for...

"Hi Carlos,

I am sorry that you are so unhappy about this. However, I think your definition of "original art" might be flawed. You asked if your piece was original, or "if you were tricked". Of course the art is original, it is all drawn by hand. You received a two-page 20-character piece of original artwork for $86. You received exactly what you paid for, and exactly what was listed in the auction. Nowhere in the auction does it explicitly state that the artist is no longer free to recreate the image, or to draw a similar image. And the piece on eBay is NOT identical to the one you purchased. The image is based on the same layout, but the art on eBay is half the size of the piece you purchased months ago. So, if you want to be technical about it, you have purchased Ed Nardo's "Princess Peach (17 x 22)", and the one on eBay is "Princess Peach (11 x 17)".

Artists often take another pass at an image that they are proud of, or often do different versions of classic images that they are famous for. Artists are sometimes even commissioned to recreate an image in their gallery that has already been sold. This is nothing new. There are multiple versions of the Mona Lisa, and yet no one accuses the Mona Lisa of not being "original art" simply because the artist chose to create this image more than once. Robert Rauschenberg intentionally created the same image twice concurrently, as an exercise to see how closely he could recreate the same work. Now both of those pieces hang side-by-side in MoMA.

I do not dictate what my artists choose to draw, and while I have suggested to them that it would be preferable to create new images rather than to revisit an older image, I am not about to tell them that they cannot take a second pass at an image that they are proud of. So, while this is certainly the exception rather than the rule, it is fair to say that there is always a possibility that an artist might choose to draw something more than once if they think that they might improve upon it, or if another customer specifically commissions such a recreation.

That being said, customer satisfaction is very important to me. So...I have ended the offending listing, and will encourage Ed Nardo not to recreate his own work in the future.

On another note, a little constructive criticism: You attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Your initial email on this matter was the following:

“hi, i was under the impression that i had purchased an original piece of art when i bought this exact same piece from you a few months ago. was i tricked??”

To which I responded with the following:

“Looks like Ed Nardo recreated the piece you bought months ago (this new one is only 11 x 17, while yours is 17 x 22). Both of them are original (100% drawn by hand).”

You wrote back again, but you did not like my initial response, so rather than waiting even 36 hours to hear back from me over a holiday weekend, you took your grievances to a public message board with a post entitled, “A Comiconart! Farce”. I would have been happy to continue discussing this matter privately, but you chose instead to make this matter public. You have been combative and abrasive since your very first post, and I think you have a rather inflated sense of entitlement regarding exactly what rights you receive when purchasing a 20-character 17x22 piece of original artwork on eBay for less than $90. You might want to take a less confrontational approach in the future.

Since you have felt the need to post the rest of our conversation online, I would appreciate it if you could do me the courtesy of posting this response in its entirety on the “A Comiconart! Farce” thread.

Sincerely,

Court Gebeau
www.comiconart.com"
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

"I think you have a rather inflated sense of entitlement regarding exactly what rights you receive when purchasing a 20-character 17x22 piece of original artwork on eBay for less than $90."

i hope wanting an original and one of a kind work isnt a "rather inflated sense of entitlement", or else were all in trouble !

what does the monetary value have to do with it ? if you buy original art, you hope its just that, original !
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I can see both sides of this one as far at the art goes. The piece wasn't commissioned and was purchased off of Ebay. It was hand drawn and not a high end piece. I'm not saying I would recommend reproducing it, but I can't say the artist did anything wrong since Ebay has become a dumping ground for so so art and the artist is a no name.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I can see both sides of this one as far at the art goes. The piece wasn't commissioned and was purchased off of Ebay. It was hand drawn and not a high end piece. I'm not saying I would recommend reproducing it, but I can't say the artist did anything wrong since Ebay has become a dumping ground for so so art and the artist is a no name.

I agree. I totally missed the part where this artwork was bought off Ebay and not a private commission. That does change things a bit IMO, never the less as a collector I still totally get where you're coming from Carlito. None of us want to see someone with a darn near identically piece as our own, regardless how we obtained it. But honestly, I do kinda get where Court is coming from in that going immediately to a forum to air a grievance might not have been the most tactful choice after only a day and half of silence on a long weekend... I can think of a few dealers who would immediately just cease all contact and Art Nazi you from further purchases had the same thing happen to them. "No art for you!" -- All in all, I think Court handled the issue professionally.
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
BillC
Hellboy

Court seemed to handle that very well, and honestly after reading his side, I don't really see much that he or his artist did wrong. But that's just my opinion. I don't think I've ever done business with him but after reading his response, I think I'd feel pretty secure in doing a transaction

His constructive criticism of "attracting more bees with honey" is actually very good advice in general. The hobby is small and word travels fast. Having connections is very important to find many pieces (or have them offered to you first) IMO. If you come off pleasant I find that lots of people are willing to assist in your search, but if you come off bad word on that can travel also and possibly hamper your efforts
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

glad the ebay piece went down. one of the issues that i had with the situation was that taking down the piece wasn't the initial solution taken and was one that had to be haggled for (the initial version of the above message had a different outcome).

think alot of it could have been avoided by a simple "let me look into it" response rather than what i felt to be a 'it is what it is' response.

in some ways goes back to the whole concept of the customer experience and how that sometimes doesn't seem to apply in the comic art collecting world.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote