Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-01-2022, 03:58 AM   #511
Destroyous
Justice League

Yeah wasn’t this $605 when it first went up? It’s $615 now. When it’s ready to ship it’ll likely be another $10
Destroyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #512
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I don't know, man. Have a feeling this will sell better than the Bel Captain America.
Own the Bel, & dig it. But I agree that this Cap will sell extremely well, & faster than expected. Beautiful sculpt, classic/iconic pose=no brainer. Thank you Sideshow/Martin Canale.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #513
Mister H
Youngblood

Yeah you don’t want to wait very long on this one if you really want it. I’ll be getting the Bale Batman as well and that’s the one to sit back and watch for a while.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:06 PM   #514
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

If Bel’s Cap didn’t have the stripes on the pants, I would pick that up. With this Cap, I wish it came with a clean shield. Don’t like the bullet sparks on it.

Last edited by VS1976; 01-02-2022 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Damn auto-fill
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:01 AM   #515
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
If Bel?s Cap didn?t have the stripes on the paints, it would pick that up. With this Cap, I wish it came with a clean shield. Don?t like the bullet sparks on it.
Same^

Is it a sure thing? That bullet effect is terrible imo.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:24 AM   #516
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyous View Post
Yeah wasn?t this $605 when it first went up? It?s $615 now. When it?s ready to ship it?ll likely be another $10
Posts here and blogs elsewhere on the internet confirm it?s always been $615 for this.

Which is why it?s a good idea to always have someone post the price when statues go up. We can always very price hikes.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #517
DANIEL RAND
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Daniel, you opened up a can of worms. No, it's not that the Sideshow geniuses can't get it right on a more consistent basis, but rather the self proclaimed collector "geniuses" that trash Sideshow's work practically with every release, regardless of how good. This in turn, gives Sideshow mixed messages, forcing them to juggle/attempt different stylistic/art direction approaches in hopes of sales.

I've used the "masterpiece" term regarding this Captain America myself, but a a more even opinion would be to label it as a masterful sculpt. As such, do you really believe Sideshow has only released this Cap as being a worthy consideration, with far and few other offerings not making the cut?

Consider the following SS offerings from the past few years, of which some I own, some I don't, & some I won't.
Wolverine, Sabretooth, Punisher, Flash, Juggs, Thor breaker, Rogue, Gambit, Thanos throne, Colossus,Cable, Domino, Storm, Bane, Supes call to action, Bats who laughs, Symbiote Spidey, The Crow,......etc, and now this Captain America. Now, I don't know if my listings could be considered masterpieces, but without a doubt, they are all masterful sculpts, and considered to be among the best,(if not the best!), depictions of all this characters, capturing their essence beautifully. So where is the Sideshow dry spell? Why all the Sideshow bashing? Especially when many are championing, rather stiff, bloated, crude, overly stylized, grossly priced offerings from other companies? I mean if this Cap was ever compared side by side with Prime's Supes(?), the gross difference in quality of sculpt would be stark, to the point where I would say Cap's boots are better than any element sculpted on prime's Supes. And no, I'm not kidding, cause it's not even close.

P.S. Since you've used the game(soccer?)in your posts, consider that even a team full of superstars can be screwed and be miss used by management, due to poor strategy, vision, chemistry, whatever. But the question is why is the strategy skewed in the first place? In Sideshow's case, there is no doubt that we the collectors play a role, & if we keep spewing mixed messages, or outright insults, our road to achieve some type of finality regarding our collections will be a long one.

Many SS characters I listed were sought after by collectors for many years, & yet many are still in stock, regardless if some have relatively small edition sizes. All are excellent sculpts, all less expensive than their counterparts, and yet after all the noise & demands by fans/collectors, many were a no show. So, how does Sideshow strategize for the next "game"?

P.P.S. For the love of the game, a question. Daniel, both Renaldo & Messi have dominated the game for over a decade, and at a glance, when compared, both seem to be well matched, & comparable. The debates on which player is better have raged for just as long. But, if one looks a little closer, a little longer, the clear conclusion is that there is no debate, and one emerges as a masterful genius, & yes amigo, even overtaking the great Pele. Can you objectively see/assess who this player is?

Ignore the wishful lies, and hold the line.
Do you remember when I wrote that a masterpiece is an unusual and difficult event to happen? And you said no, it was enough for creators, sculptors and art direction to discover what the collectors desire and that the new Cap would be the starting point for the new comics pieces?

Here it is.

Did they try to create a spectacular Thor?
Yea
They did it?
No.

DANIEL RAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #518
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL RAND View Post
Do you remember when I wrote that a masterpiece is an unusual and difficult event to happen? And you said no, it was enough for creators, sculptors and art direction to discover what the collectors desire and that the new Cap would be the starting point for the new comics pieces?

Here it is.

Did they try to create a spectacular Thor?
Yea
They did it?
No.

Daniel, at first glance (which was literally 20 minutes ago!), I also didn't "feel" the sculpt lived-up to expectations. But I am honestly starting to quickly change my opinion, as this sculpt is starting to look more epic than initially perceived.

And that's one of the things that have always surprised me regarding SS sculpts. Seemingly simple sculpts at first glance, in time, you start to appreciate the subtle details, movements, & gestures that capture the character. With time, the Sideshow sculpts "grow" on you. And I'm starting to feel that this Thor sculpt will be the same.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #519
Divo

Hard to tell from one pic, but though the portrait is well done, would seem better suited for say Conan? I like Thor a little more stoic, but gotta see more.

And I'm starting to get that bad feeling that the hair sculpt seems to be too stylized? Hoping I'm wrong, cause the God of Thunder's hair has got to flow!
Old 01-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #520
DANIEL RAND
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Daniel, at first glance (which was literally 20 minutes ago!), I also didn't "feel" the sculpt lived-up to expectations. But I am honestly starting to quickly change my opinion, as this sculpt is starting to look more epic than initially perceived.

And that's one of the things that have always surprised me regarding SS sculpts. Seemingly simple sculpts at first glance, in time, you start to appreciate the subtle details, movements, & gestures that capture the character. With time, the Sideshow sculpts "grow" on you. And I'm starting to feel that this Thor sculpt will be the same.
Can't say I agree. The piece seems very simple to me, pose, attitude, sculpture and few details. In other words, far short of the imposing art presented in the already iconic Captain America.

A piece that could match the new captain would be something like Bowen's, for despite not having a stoic expression, this legendary piece brings us the fury of the thunder god in all its fullness, waving his hammer and awakening the fury of the sky, with gusts of wind and noise of thunder.

Too bad she's not on the 1/4 scale. However, a reinterpretation of this art, with a similar pose, and enhancing a more current anatomy with textures in the right places, would certainly place it at the top of the best pieces by the son of Odin.

DANIEL RAND is offline   Reply With Quote