Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #131
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Not super blown away by the finish on this compared to the prototype.
Darn ... I really like the movie and I'm big fan of Kevin Tong, who did an outstanding poster for the Crow. Was really excited when SS announced this.

Their Iron Giant (another of my favs) paired up really nice with Kevin's unrivaled Iron Giant master piece of a poster. It's something even folks who know or care little about anything popculture often comment on visting.

The Iron Giant had a ... sorry to say, but it's true - ---- base, too. Probably the worst base of any of my statues, but the rest was absolutely spot on, and the EX put it over the top for sure.

This is another ---- base, a middling application apparently and the mixed media is in my book another mark against it. Also, it's almost the same price as the Iron Giant back then, which is kinda insane by it's own.

I want a companion piece for the poster and there is currently no better option available. Hence I'm pretty torn. I also don't forsee a ton of alternatives the next couple of years if ever. Might be as good as it gets. I mean, it's not terrible ... *sigh*

Patiently waitinting for a couple of reviews and pictures when it's out in the wild. At this ES, price and apparenty quality it's not going anywhere fast. That's about the only upside here.
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:41 PM   #132
DevGuy
The Spirit

Polyurethane "leather" should not be used on expensive statues. It simply does not last. They should use full grain or semi-grain analine. For such a small area I would not think it cost prohibitive, and as long as give it a bit if moisture/conditioning every 6 months or so to combat drying, will last longer than we do.

SS's awesome rogue statue, for example, is probably PU leather - so that statue will not last.

Even fabric lasts much longer than this crap.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #133
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralek View Post
I want a companion piece for the poster and there is currently no better option available. Hence I'm pretty torn. I also don't forsee a ton of alternatives the next couple of years if ever. Might be as good as it gets. I mean, it's not terrible ... *sigh*

Patiently waitinting for a couple of reviews and pictures when it's out in the wild. At this ES, price and apparenty quality it's not going anywhere fast. That's about the only upside here.
This is pretty much where I am on this piece. I was underwhelmed by it at SDCC. It wasn't bad by any means, but there were so many other pieces that grabbed and demanded my attention that I was surprised how easily this fell through the cracks. I'm hoping in-hand pics and video reviews can bring me back around on this piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
Unfortunately (for me anyways), both the coat AND pants are mixed media.
This is still a concern and gripe for me as well. Coat would have been fine... I don't understand why they had to do pants as well.
AlexLothos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #134
nearmint
Phoenix

Production pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-crow_the-crow_gallery_634595e5bbd95.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	154658   Click image for larger version

Name:	the-crow_the-crow_gallery_634595e83d4a0.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	154660   Click image for larger version

Name:	the-crow_the-crow_gallery_634595fb53317.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	154661  
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #135
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Yikes, they're making 2,500 of these? I foresee this being on a big discount with free shipping in the future.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #136
morty76
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Production pics...
Looks good to me. I plan on picking one up.
morty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #137
SONICobra
Batman

i think this just needs a little paint work to really bring it to life. his portrait looks like smooth porcelin and all his clothes like theyre freshly washed, its just lacking that grunge vibe
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #138
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Why is the crow not even coming close to being on his shoulder anymore? That's glaring to me. Base art is cool.

I think this may sell just due to lack of other options. It's pretty well done and there are plenty of people who haven't been burned by mixed-media.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #139
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Why is the crow not even coming close to being on his shoulder anymore? That's glaring to me. Base at is cool.
Maybe the crow is just about to land
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #140
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Production pics...
It is not terrible but it isn't a must buy either for me. With the mixed media, I will pass. I just don't have the room like I used to and I need to be picky.
Iko Iko is online now   Reply With Quote