Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-27-2024, 04:47 PM   #21
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I mean, I could stroll into a Terminator thread and complain that it's pointless because it's not Superman.....would that make any sense?
Please do that, I want to see what happens
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:52 PM   #22
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Ok, so regardless of the quality of the statue - you're not interested....is that your point?

If you straight up have zero interest in the statue - like - 100% nichts - seriously, why even bother commenting? It's clearly not Meg Ryan or Michelle Pfeiffer sooooo......

I mean, I could stroll into a Terminator thread and complain that it's pointless because it's not Superman.....would that make any sense?

Maybe I'm missing your point.....
The point is , for him there is just not enough connection with Marilyn, for him to even feel nostalgic enough to want to own a statue of her. Regardless of how great it is. She is not one of his generations' actress. Not that deep.

I love Marilyn. I can appreciate that someone is out there possibly hoping for a better Marilyn than the Blitzway, but I am never ever going to buy a statue of her.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:11 PM   #23
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
That's true but I would much prefer to see a statue of a contemporary actress like Michelle Pfeiffer or Meg Ryan, etc. from the 80s.

I might feel differently if I were a Baby-boomer who actually watched Monroe's movies when she was still alive and well.

Then I would have a legit reason to be nostalgic and have a desire to collect a statue of her. It's a generation thing, I guess.
*Sigh*

No, it's not a generation thing. Trust me, I was born long after Marilyn died.

Like I said, difficult as it might seem to grasp, some people like movies overall, beyond the usual statue-related genres. In fact, there being fewer statues for those other genres makes them all the more special.

In the thread I linked to above, you can read me and others making wish lists involving actresses as far back as the 1930's. I recall other threads with the likes of pdenham wishing away, too. Why? Because we like those actresses and we like those movies, no matter when we were born.

It's not the first time you've done this, Hobbyist - questioning the mere existence of this or that piece, wondering if they were "necessary" (to which I already replied once that nothing about this hobby was "necessary"), and I can't get my head around that.

Look, I see people with large collections of anime robots which all look pretty much the same to me, but you won't see me questioning those. People like what they like, it's as simple as that.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:16 PM   #24
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
The point is , for him there is just not enough connection with Marilyn, for him to even feel nostalgic enough to want to own a statue of her. Regardless of how great it is. She is not one of his generations' actress. Not that deep.

I love Marilyn. I can appreciate that someone is out there possibly hoping for a better Marilyn than the Blitzway, but I am never ever going to buy a statue of her.
....Does anyone really care?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:18 PM   #25
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Please do that, I want to see what happens
Moderator approved!

ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:26 PM   #26
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=173765

Go to the last comment - I'm going to get a really warm reception - no doubt.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:04 PM   #27
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Bit off topic. If some company did make a Meg Ryan statue with good likeness from You've Got Mail, I would buy it. But it's likely never gonna happen.

Kathleen Kelly statue could include accessories like her Apple laptop or copy of her book "Pride and Prejudice" with a rose.

"Cecilia Kelly.... she was enchanting".
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:35 PM   #28
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Star Ace might have to work on the likeness a bit, but the statue being fully sculpted is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
Don't know why some manufacturers would still bother to produce statues of old Hollywood movie stars over and over again.

How many collectors here would actually order this piece even if the likeness is 100% spot-on?
She was way before my time, but I view Marilyn as being iconic. Plus she died fairly young like Bruce Lee and James Dean. They have this forever young thing about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Exactly. I'm in my early 40's and I love Marilyn. I own the original (gold dress) Blitzway statue. It's the best likeness I've ever seen of her.
Agreed. I bought that one as well and their Elvis statue (bad regular portrait but bonus portrait is good). I hope they decide to make a pink dress Marilyn one day.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:39 PM   #29
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Pink dress Marilyn would be an instant buy for me. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is my favorite Marilyn movie.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:30 AM   #30
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
....Does anyone really care?
I know I don't
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote