Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #1851
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayhor View Post
I agree, the full sculpted statue are the most appealing to me. As being proved by Gambit's coat which looks just amazing, no way a fabric one could have reach that level.
Same in the opposite side, with the costume like the OG catwoman, OG Black Widow and of course OG Harley Quinn, I wish they were all sculpted.
But for the capes, I tend to go for the fabric, because Sideshow now achieve a very good level of quality and above all : for the space. If Magneto'd had a sculpted cape, it is obvious that I wouldn't have been able to place it in my Besta, and god knows this is THE Magneto I was waiting for. Same for the new Scarlet Witch and Storm, for those two, I think It could have make it but to the price of ditching other statues I own.
Plus, I can choose the position and change it as often as I want.
So, I'm pretty happy with the choices SS makes with this fabric/sculpted choices for their statues.
Glad your happy but for me, Sculpted is the only way to go.Yes you save space and the look but at what cost? Fabric gets dirty and breaks down over time also cheapens it to me..Here are some clear examples that fully sculpted beats fabric..

Could add a ton more pics but whats the point?
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #1852
Peedi
The Secret Six

To each their own. I have Magneto and I like that I can pose the cape the way I want to. If his cape was sculpted he probably wouldn’t have fit into that tight space to even have the cape be bunched up like that.

I’m glad I have no preference between fabric vs sculpted capes and coats. I have both SS Gambits and I’m fine with the PF’s fabric coat and the Maquette’s sculpted coat. Once I get this Storm, 3 out of 4 of my 1/4 scale Storms will have fabric capes, I’m just glad to get more of my favorite characters either way.

No to fully fabric outfits though. I want bodysuits/shirts/pants to be sculpted. In most cases. Unless they want to do Kraven in mixed media. That I would completely go for.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #1853
Frayhor
Sinister Six

At the cost of not ditching other statues I love and adding statues I really want in my collection, it seems pretty important to me.

Oh and about your pictures, the Magneto is my SS Magneto with a fabric cape btw.
Frayhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #1854
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
To each their own. I have Magneto and I like that I can pose the cape the way I want to. If his cape was sculpted he probably wouldn’t have fit into that tight space to even have the cape be bunched up like that.

I’m glad I have no preference between fabric vs sculpted capes and coats. I have both SS Gambits and I’m fine with the PF’s fabric coat and the Maquette’s sculpted coat. Once I get this Storm, 3 out of 4 of my 1/4 scale Storms will have fabric capes, I’m just glad to get more of my favorite characters either way.

No to fully fabric outfits though. I want bodysuits/shirts/pants to be sculpted. In most cases. Unless they want to do Kraven in mixed media. That I would completely go for.
I agree, I think that most collectors like sculpted capes over fabric because...

You can get away with being a lazy with the cleaning of you collection with sculpted capes. Makeup brush, some compressed can air and you're back in business. Albeit you might start to lose a little of the colors luster doing it this way, but works nonetheless.

Having that fabric makes you as the collector have to be more diligent (i.e lots of cleaning or complete closed case displaying which adds more cost to the hobby) when it comes to cleaning or how you display your statues. If you truly want to preserve the fabric for that particular statue.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #1855
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Wonder if there will be a variant repaint suit like psylocke on Halloween time with a limited ed of the same as the x-force psylocke?
This has been asked many times in the FB groups, but I haven't seen an official response yet.

Possibly maybe... we'll have to wait and see.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:33 PM   #1856
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Some of those sculpted capes look like melted crayon to me. To each their own.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #1857
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
This has been asked many times in the FB groups, but I haven't seen an official response yet.

Possibly maybe... we'll have to wait and see.
I wouldn’t expect it before the reg is released.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #1858
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post

Each their own on Fabric capes,but statues were never intended for mix Media in my opinion..This was invented due mostly for cost and breakage only.The reason my Magneto cape is that way so he could fit in a dedolf and if the cape was not fabric he would be display fine on a open-self.Again i have mix media on some my statues but i rather have them all sculpted and i think if you did a poll most collectors would probably agree..We buy statues with mix media because of the cost factor and then it might be the only choice we have, like storm as a example. Not trying to start a war here, but i think for what we are paying now we should have 2 choices on a new statue being made? Then everybody could be happy...Some statue company's actually care and listen,some don't care about the 3%
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #1859
Y3E
Gen 13

Why is there a conception mix media cost less? Have you ever created a shirt, pants from scratch? The process for fabric takes more time: cutting, sewing, removing excess thread, then fitting.

Also, fabric breaking down. I have OG Thor, Cap, Hulk, Mystique and all are in great condition. I hear more of paint cracking and bubbling than fabric deteriorating. In cases of bad paint, fabric, I bet it is due to environmental factors.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #1860
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Why is there a conception mix media cost less? Creating shirt, pants from scratch is not a simple. The process for fabric takes more time: cutting, sewing, removing excess thread, then fitting.

Also, fabric breaking down. I have OG Thor, Cap, Hulk, Mystique and all are in great condition. I hear more of paint cracking and bubbling than fabric deteriorating. In cases of bad paint, fabric, I bet it is due to environmental factors.

Well said but we know those that love the sculpted capes etc... Will always have their fascination with the concept of a fully sculpted cape. They both look good and I don't discriminate against either one of them.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote