Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #291
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Torment View Post
Finished The Great Gatsby and am 2 chapters into The Brothers Karamazov now. Heard good things about this novel.
Ahh, the Brothers Karamazov.

Really enjoyd reading that in high school.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #292
bat_collector
Galactus

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #293
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm 120 pages into The Passage by Justin Cronin. Everybody was talkin' how this horror novel was a return to horrific, discusting, terrifying Vampires, a wash away of the pretty-boy Vampire Ann Rice kicked off some 3 decades ago.
Well, so far, this book is a snoozer. Cronin is spending way too much time on character development and no time on the horror. Blurbs on the inside jacket promised a quick grab and launch right into the vampire goodness but this is far from Salem's Lot. I'll give it another 100 pages than I'm done. Cronin's trying too hard and it shows, so far.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #294
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I'm 120 pages into The Passage by Justin Cronin. Everybody was talkin' how this horror novel was a return to horrific, discusting, terrifying Vampires, a wash away of the pretty-boy Vampire Ann Rice kicked off some 3 decades ago.
Well, so far, this book is a snoozer. Cronin is spending way too much time on character development and no time on the horror. Blurbs on the inside jacket promised a quick grab and launch right into the vampire goodness but this is far from Salem's Lot. I'll give it another 100 pages than I'm done. Cronin's trying too hard and it shows, so far.
About halfway through the book, the entire story moves into the future and there is practically an entire new cast of characters. I'm about 330 pages into it, but I haven't read a word in about three weeks. I'm going to try to get back into it, but I'm disappointed right now.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #295
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Clive Cussler "Night Probe". Also just finished "Polar Shift" from the same author.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #296
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
About halfway through the book, the entire story moves into the future and there is practically an entire new cast of characters. I'm about 330 pages into it, but I haven't read a word in about three weeks. I'm going to try to get back into it, but I'm disappointed right now.
"Oh, Yay!" :bored: The book really needed 20+ new characters w/ complete descriptions on motivations.
This book received strong write-ups when it was released late-spring. It was on many reviewer's "take to the beach" lists. I'm really surprised I'm finding such a snooze-fest of a novel.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #297
bog
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People
by T H Breen

Quite good. I am very close to finishing.
bog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #298
Babytoxie
Ghost

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

A collection of three thematically-related mystery novellas written in the mid-'80s: City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room. This is my first book by Auster, and it's encouraged me to try more of his work. It's experimental/postmodern/metafictional... whatever you want to call it, they're very unusual stories and definitely well-written.

City of Glass was adapted into a graphic novel by Paul Karasik and David Mazzucchelli in 1994. IMO, the original story is so much more rewarding.

Another neat little comic connection: the most recent softcover edition from Penguin Books features a wraparound cover by Art Spiegelman.

Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #299
joncorr
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Next Anthony Bourdain: Medium Raw

waiting patiently for Mockingjay.
joncorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #300
Luminous
Cyclops

Baltimore, or The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire.

About half way through.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote