Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #1471
quadcent
A day without sunshine is like... night.

here's a couple pics of the sides of the base where the two pieces of ocean join together

and what's your opinions on the paint apps along the black line, the red circled area has some paint flake issues also.

and of course the flaking wing pic

quadcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #1472
Jayden
Blue Falcon

I tried to take a pic of mine and use the bottom of the shelf as a guide to determine if she is leaning or not.

I really don't see a lean to her like some of the other pics have indicated.

My only noticable problem is that her rightside wing (left in pic) isn't in alignment with the other one, so that does seem a bit off.

Beyond that, I think she is extremely well done and do not regret my purchase. I just have to wait for replacement wings (due to spots cracking on the decals)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0189.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	61245  
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #1473
Jayden
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcent View Post
here's a couple pics of the sides of the base where the two pieces of ocean join together

and what's your opinions on the paint apps along the black line, the red circled area has some paint flake issues also.

and of course the flaking wing pic

As to answer your question, no the base should not have gaps in it like that. I just checked mine and it's seamless.
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #1474
quadcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden View Post
As to answer your question, no the base should not have gaps in it like that. I just checked mine and it's seamless.
yeah i didn't think so, but thought i'd check for sure on here. so it looks like the whole piece will be junk then
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #1475
PinkButterfly
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden View Post
I said I wasn't going to look at mine so hard anymore...but I did. One side of mine the seam is gapped a little, the other side is fine. If the white/seafoam was carried over, it would have hidden this. I probably would have never noticed it.

I'm surprised some of these statues passed inspection with the decal problems on the wings unless this happened during shipping (?), which I find hard to believe.

I hope this doesn't keep Apsen from continuing to produce some of the most beautiful stateus to date. IMO, the platinum Grace is by far the most elegant and beautiful.
PinkButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #1476
quadcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkButterfly View Post
I said I wasn't going to look at mine so hard anymore...but I did. One side of mine the seam is gapped a little, the other side is fine. If the white/seafoam was carried over, it would have hidden this. I probably would have never noticed it.

I'm surprised some of these statues passed inspection with the decal problems on the wings unless this happened during shipping (?), which I find hard to believe.

I hope this doesn't keep Apsen from continuing to produce some of the most beautiful stateus to date. IMO, the platinum Grace is by far the most elegant and beautiful.
i'm usually all for the never expect a 100% perfect piece but once you find one thing that's unacceptable (the wing) you of course continue on.

i actually never even noticed the seams until my 8yr son said "why is that there" and since i'd spent all my time looking at the statue itself and not the base i totally missed it. in the pics they both look bad, but in person one is almost covered by the white spray, but the other is really obvious, especially now that a person knows it's there.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #1477
PinkButterfly
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcent View Post
i'm usually all for the never expect a 100% perfect piece but once you find one thing that's unacceptable (the wing) you of course continue on.

i actually never even noticed the seams until my 8yr son said "why is that there" and since i'd spent all my time looking at the statue itself and not the base i totally missed it. in the pics they both look bad, but in person one is almost covered by the white spray, but the other is really obvious, especially now that a person knows it's there.
I understand. When someone asks me "what is that" and points to the paint/glue blob on her leg fin, I just sigh and feel a little less happy about it. I thought I was okay with it, then found the scratch in the decal on a wing and sloppy glue job on the back of the small translucent fin on the tail fin. I don't know...I'm wishy-washy on the whole thing. Well, for now, she's going on the bottom shelf of my curio cabinet where maybe the flaws will be less noticeable to others.
PinkButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #1478
Phillip
Producer
Producer

You both have real issues with your statues and they should be replaced. You should not accept this.

You paid good money for those statues and you should be happy with them.

We have to remember these are made by hand. They don't have the luxury of time or work environment. And there will never be a perfect statue because people are not perfect.

But if you have real noticeable flaws or things that are broken or cracked. Chipping, warped or leaning then it should be replaced.

You do have to be careful. This was a difficult design. A lot of parts. You have be slow when putting in certain parts. As Computerfly mention the hair can be a little tricky getting past.

Phillip
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #1479
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

let's not argue guys, to be honest the statue is up high at an odd angle which makes the "lean" look worse than it is. When I took a picture of her at eye level it was not nearly that bad. She really is a beautiful piece in person.

This pic that I posted after is nowhere near as bad as the first one I took. Also, I think we have to take into consideration that her wings throw it off a bit and her hip is out.

Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #1480
quadcent

yours look good BC