Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prototypez

Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #131
BurningRage
Inhumans

Waiting for the painted one. Hope SF2 Ken gets made.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #132
JorgeLoyo
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm501 View Post
I can see you having to charge a quite a bit if the kits are made in America, but $600? Come on dude!

Yeah some people do pay $600 and more for unlicensed statues (fully painted) but no one is paying that kind of cash for unlicensed kits.
Also people tend to pay more for unlicensed stuff as it's rare and done in very limited quantities, 5-10 pieces..

I know prototypeZ has to make a profit, but damn man $600!!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, I love prototypeZ and what you guys are doing for the kit building community.
It takes balls to step into this market as it's pretty niche.
I'm just devo the 1/4 kits are so expensive..
Have you guys thought about getting them cast in China to lower the price?
Yo, the last 3 unlicensed kits I've bought were over $600, maybe the kits you're talking about are of a lesser quality i really don't know. But if you're using one of the top printing companies and a good sculpture a $600 price tag for an unlicensed kit is quite common. And an ES of 5-10!? damn, The last 3 kits I've bought were ES 100, ES 75 and ES 50.

Bro I'm doing a 1/4 scale private commission atm and we're getting quoted 7k (give or take) by one of the top printing companies, that's just for printing THE prototype.... Maybe you're talking about different kind of kits, but high end kits come with a high end price tag.
JorgeLoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #133
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm buying a kit that costs 475$.
It's 1:4 scale, about 22-23 inches tall, comes with 3 heads and 3 switch out hands, it's being made in the US. And, in my opinion, the sculpt is absolutely awesome. It's big, detailed, very detailed, comes with a lot of extras, imho has a huge value for money.
Erick knows what I'm talking about 'cause, well, he worked on that one too and I really appreciated his contribution, his work on it was top notch.
As I said, I can see licensing costs eating a part of the profit, but for the kit to come without any switch out or extra is just too much for the asking price.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #134
JorgeLoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
So these kits are being made in the United States? Just wondering if you can be specific because Canada and Mexico are part of North America? Prepainted are higher/premium quality? I thought these would be prototype quality even as kits. Wasn't that the point? Why even have kits? Just sell prepaints then? Also if you don't mind when you say "We" who is that exactly? I ask because with all due respect i dont see anyone else posting. Well... looks like there's no alternative to PCS. You can get a piece with cloth for around $400.
I believe the kits are being produced 100% in the US. Erick has shared his thoughts on doing kits a few times now, he likes to give back something to the painters. SO by doing kits painters get to do some work and make money in the process. And trust there's quite a few (you might call them crazy) collectors that like paying a top painter $500-$800 for a 1/4 statue paint app, have you seen James TCE work? It's unbelievable.

I'm waiting for the pre-painted statue but I don't find $800 overpriced for what its being offered. From what Erick has told me he's paying the printing company more money, which results in better quality control and a shorter waiting time from proto to shipping actual date, you won't have to wait 2 years or 2 1/2 years for this statues. Factory paint app will be on par with Iron studios latest statues i.e. captain america, of course you can get better (and more expensive) paint apps and that's why the kit is a plus for some collectors who don't mind dropping big bucks with the best painters. Switch out parts and a box that should be a work of art on it's own. This line isn't an alternative for PCS (I like what PCS does a lot btw), PrototypeZ wants to reach a smaller market. A high end one and that comes with a higher price tag. You don't have to like it, but it's nice to have a company doing things a different way. Is it overpriced? Well the market will decide in the months to come.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #135
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLoyo View Post
I believe the kits are being produced 100% in the US. Erick has shared his thoughts on doing kits a few times now, he likes to give back something to the painters. SO by doing kits painters get to do some work and make money in the process. And trust there's quite a few (you might call them crazy) collectors that like paying a top painter $500-$800 for a 1/4 statue paint app, have you seen James TCE work? It's unbelievable.
They're all but crazy my friend, I'm one of those guys. And yup, I know James' work, he's outstanding. I'm lucky I have a very skilled painter in my area that can take care of my needs

Quote:
I'm waiting for the pre-painted statue but I don't find $800 overpriced for what its being offered. From what Erick has told me he's paying the printing company more money, which results in better quality control and a shorter waiting time from proto to shipping actual date, you won't have to wait 2 years or 2 1/2 years for this statues. Factory paint app will be on par with Iron studios latest statues i.e. captain america, of course you can get better (and more expensive) paint apps and that's why the kit is a plus for some collectors who don't mind dropping big bucks with the best painters. Switch out parts and a box that should be a work of art on it's own. This line isn't an alternative for PCS (I like what PCS does a lot btw), PrototypeZ wants to reach a smaller market. A high end one that comes with a higher price tag. You don't have to like it, but it's nice to have a company doing this a different way.
Oh but don't get me wrong - I'm not disagreeng with these points. 800$ for the painted version is a good price for the number of features you just listed, it just feels VERY disproportionate compared to the kit, that's what I'm saying.
I know there's a market for this and I think it's going to be successful, all I'm saying is... the kit could come with a few switch outs too, price would be easier to justify.
Let's say I'm one of those guys willing to drop 600$ on the kit and 600$ on a super-professional paint up... why can't I have, say, the switch out hands to paint the brown gloves? My 1200$ version with professional paint up would still feel somehow less than the prepainted 800$ version.
Molding/casting costs on such small pieces are very low, even if done by the best, I just think it's a mistake to leave them out of the kit version.

EDIT:
By the way, I know which kit you're talking about when you mention the $600 price tag. Not to disrespect Erick, because he did a great job on this Ryu... but that one is an entirely different beast in my books, under all aspects.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #136
JorgeLoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I'm buying a kit that costs 475$.
It's 1:4 scale, about 22-23 inches tall, comes with 3 heads and 3 switch out hands, it's being made in the US. And, in my opinion, the sculpt is absolutely awesome. It's big, detailed, very detailed, comes with a lot of extras, imho has a huge value for money.
Erick knows what I'm talking about 'cause, well, he worked on that one too and I really appreciated his contribution, his work on it was top notch.
As I said, I can see licensing costs eating a part of the profit, but for the kit to come without any switch out or extra is just too much for the asking price.
Don't know which commission you're talking about but yeah, it really sounds like a great value for you're money. But it isn't that far off from $600. Add the extra money he's paying to people in the industry who usually don't get a decent pay by big companies (casters, painters, sculptures etc), add the extra quality, we'll have to wait for in hand reviews to be sure about that one but Erick says it's going to be amazing. Add the license fees...adding switch outs for the kit it's a good input for Erick IMO, maybe he'll take that into consideration for next releases.

Quote:
They're all but crazy my friend, I'm one of those guys. And yup, I know James' work, he's outstanding. I'm lucky I have a very skilled painter in my area that can take care of my needs

Oh but don't get me wrong - I'm not disagreeng with these points. 800$ for the painted version is a good price for the number of features you just listed, it just feels VERY disproportionate compared to the kit, that's what I'm saying.
I know there's a market for this and I think it's going to be successful, all I'm saying is... the kit could come with a few switch outs too, price would be easier to justify.
Let's say I'm one of those guys willing to drop 600$ on the kit and 600$ on a super-professional paint up... why can't I have, say, the switch out hands to paint the brown gloves? My 1200$ version with professional paint up would still feel somehow less than the prepainted 800$ version.
Molding/casting costs on such small pieces are very low, even if done by the best, I just think it's a mistake to leave them out of the kit version.

EDIT:
By the way, I know which kit you're talking about when you mention the $600 price tag. Not to disrespect Erick, because he did a great job on this Ryu... but that one is an entirely different beast in my books, under all aspects.
Yeah, I totally get what you're saying and asking switch out parts for the kit sounds very reasonable, that's good and constructive criticism imo. But I don't share the same opinion with the guys that just say the price tag is ridiculous and unjustifiable that's all
Old 10-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #137
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Well he said North America which is very broad. wow this is insane. why would i pay 600 when at 800 you get a painted one? And it's supposed to be high quality paint work too. In addition it'd be idiotic to buy this just to hire someone and shell out more money when the quality is supposed to be high-end. Of course if you can afford that more power to you. That's like buying an XM and paying to repaint it. Honestly he should phase out the kit entirely. It's clear he wants to go the prepaint route. Also why doesn't he utilize his own 3d printer machine? PCS uses their own now. Lastly why all the gimmicks? They changes all the time. If you believe in your product you don't need them. The products sells itself. Anyway this is too rich for my blood. I wish you luck.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #138
Balthazar
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLoyo View Post

I'm waiting for the pre-painted statue but I don't find $800 overpriced for what its being offered. From what Erick has told me he's paying the printing company more money, which results in better quality control and a shorter waiting time from proto to shipping actual date, you won't have to wait 2 years or 2 1/2 years for this statues. Factory paint app will be on par with Iron studios latest statues i.e. captain america, of course you can get better (and more expensive) paint apps and that's why the kit is a plus for some collectors who don't mind dropping big bucks with the best painters. Switch out parts and a box that should be a work of art on it's own. This line isn't an alternative for PCS (I like what PCS does a lot btw), PrototypeZ wants to reach a smaller market. A high end one and that comes with a higher price tag. You don't have to like it, but it's nice to have a company doing things a different way. Is it overpriced? Well the market will decide in the months to come.

I think You are right, the thing is that the majority here, and I inclued myself, Was planning to follow it and Won`t have enough for it.

Anyways, I am more into the 1/6, let`s pray.
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #139
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Hi Erick,
honest question here: why putting the unpainted kit on sale without at least some infos about the painted version? People need elements to compare and judge.
You're saying that the unpainted kit comes at 600$ with no accessories, anything, while the painted version, with top notch paint and extra pieces, will come at around 800$... this would make the painted version an absolute no brainer, so why should people even consider the unpainted version? As the sculpt is now, there's not much room for variation. It's Ryu. White for his Gi, skin tones for his skin, red or brown for his gloves... not much that a custom paint can differ from your standard prepainted version.
Makes no business sense. Also, most unlicensed custom kits come at around 500$ and usually have a fair amount of switch outs. I understand that licensing cost take a chunk of profit away, but I'm not seeing any sense in the way this is being handled.
Trust me it makes a lot of sense, only limited to 100 units world wide for the kit, people have already purchased almost half of the 100 run, and many can customize and create a player 1 or player 2.
Plus we promised painters that if we ever went the pre-paint route we'd never forget about them.
ZKULPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #140
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm501 View Post
I can see you having to charge a quite a bit if the kits are made in America, but $600? Come on dude!

Yeah some people do pay $600 and more for unlicensed statues (fully painted) but no one is paying that kind of cash for unlicensed kits.
Also people tend to pay more for unlicensed stuff as it's rare and done in very limited quantities, 5-10 pieces..

I know prototypeZ has to make a profit, but damn man $600!!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, I love prototypeZ and what you guys are doing for the kit building community.
It takes balls to step into this market as it's pretty niche.
I'm just devo the 1/4 kits are so expensive..
Have you guys thought about getting them cast in China to lower the price?
Actually that would be incorrect, I asked around and yes people were willing to pay that much.
Casts in China are more expensive, because of shipping and using high end polyurethane resin and not just polyresin. Trust me I did my homework for the past 4 years.

Last edited by ZKULPTOR; 10-07-2015 at 02:48 PM.
ZKULPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote