Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #621
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I do hope we get to a point where the whole female action/super/etc hero thing isn’t force celebrated each time like its some kind of first every time. I’ve been watching them since WW and Bionic Woman were on TV and Ripley was in the movies after all. That is a long time ago now.
You can go back farther with Modesty Bliase if you like. But yeah yeah, they are going to market it and frankly after WW got the whole feminism crowd going goo goo to see it I would market it as such too.. because money.
There is nothing new here, other than it's Marvel film first female lead. I'm more excited about seeing the first action cat. LOL
Well I guess not, there were other action cats.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #622
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Well, here we go again. The usual four or five agenda trolls infiltrate a thread that has, up to the point they got revved up, been a civil discourse about the movie or trailers themselves. They opine about this subversion or that and then stir the pot and play the victims of free speech denial, knowing full well that politics are taboo here. Folks who finally get fed up and have taken exception to their "because I feel this way and you don't, ergo, you are wrong" insults and dismissive rants finally retaliate and things spiral downward and the actual "movie" opinions get lost in the sauce. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Then the mods show up belatedly and either excise offensive posts or shut down the thread entirely and maybe mete out some supposed punishment or mild rebukes.
My question is.... where are those responsible for monitoring the threads when the initial violators start their shenanigans? Why aren't they being halted in their tracks for clear-cut violations? I'm not advocating undue censorship, but, c'mon this behavior is almost boilerplate at this juncture. I've kept this generic, but the repeat offenders are obvious. I'd be happy to name names if you'd like.

I think most here are being civil but I get what you're saying. Personally I'm just finding it fascinating how so many camps are on one side or the other and I'm trying to make sense of it all in a constructive way. The backlash seems in line with the Toxic Masculinity Ad in a lot of ways and I think it would be beneficial for SJW's to find a way to break their message through without the notion that, "white men bad" or "Conservative people bad" connotations that seemingly come across with their message. I just find it interesting how a strong female led movie in Wonder Woman didn't have any backlash that I've seen and did very well while having some female empowerment messages while this one's getting a ton of flack.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #623
risingstar
Jedi Order

The reality is that some comic fans feel their stamp of approval holds greater weight than from those who first learned about a comic character via a movie adaptation. I remember hearing (and being part of) similar debates over Tim Burton's Batman (1989) thirty years ago. NBR3 was only 50 then. In the end, this ultimately becomes about whether or not you had fun.

Is Captain Marvel a great film? Well, I liked it enough to give it an 8.5/10-- but I had problems with it too (i.e., there are drawbacks to making anyone that powerful from a compelling narrative standpoint, be it male or female). Do I like Brie Larson? I generally have to ask myself why that question is being asked as I am rarely asked if I like the leads of other films with such gauged interest.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #624
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Been there done that, Im all for following source material, but at some point you get tired of pointing those things out. I learned to accept an alteration of the storyline to a degree. Youre also referencing things years old, would you like me to talk about those things or the here and now?

You have to look at the intent behind the change, the things you mentioned aren't gender or race related, smh. My complaint is about intent, virtue signaling, shilling, hypocrisy etc. I said nothing about women or minorities, so dont go there.
Nick Fury, in the Ultimate Universe, was based on Sam Jackson. Carol Danvers IS a woman in the Marvel Universe (both of them). These movies have ALWAYS been a cross between the 616 and Ultimate Universes.

So, again, why the complaining and whining about these two things which ARE comic accurate?
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #625
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I think most here are being civil but I get what you're saying. Personally I'm just finding it fascinating how so many camps are on one side or the other and I'm trying to make sense of it all in a constructive way. The backlash seems in line with the Toxic Masculinity Ad in a lot of ways and I think it would be beneficial for SJW's to find a way to break their message through without the notion that, "white men bad" or "Conservative people bad" connotations that seemingly come across with their message. I just find it interesting how a strong female led movie in Wonder Woman didn't have any backlash that I've seen and did very well while having some female empowerment messages while this one's getting a ton of flack.
I remember the backlash to the women-only screenings for Wonder Woman.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #626
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Its ma'amkey, sir! Wait, am I allowed to call you sir?

I digress. It does not have the same formula, new directors & protaginist with a clear feminist agenda. Theyve said it themselves. After you weed thru both sides as you put it, and see just how deep the sjw virus seeps, its clear.

I for one dont want politics or propaganda in my entertainment, I just want to enjoy my escape from reality. This is just one reason to be turned off by this film. WW sent the same message of empowerment but in tasteful subtle way and I enjoyed it.
They are comin dude, they comin for u all woke folk. Hide yr nuts.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #627
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I''ll see it in a few days. If it's beating me over the head some radical feminist agenda I'll know. If it's just the usual incidental stuff.. meh. I'll report back.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #628
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I''ll see it in a few days. If it's beating me over the head some radical feminist agenda I'll know. If it's just the usual incidental stuff.. meh. I'll report back.
Incidental stuff, and appropriate to the story.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #629
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Nick Fury, in the Ultimate Universe, was based on Sam Jackson. Carol Danvers IS a woman in the Marvel Universe (both of them). These movies have ALWAYS been a cross between the 616 and Ultimate Universes.

So, again, why the complaining and whining about these two things which ARE comic accurate?
"In the Ultimate Universe" not an origin, which is what I was referencing. But your only proving my point, Marvel massaged their comics with the bending before the films, sooooo...
Never said Carol Danvers was anything other, however, Mar-Vell was a man... in the comic.

Whining and complaining, lmao, ok. The only comment I made about a stray from the comics was about gender bending Mar-Vell to prove a point. The other change I know of is how Fury lost his eye, but I didn't mention that.
My disinterest for the movie comes from its marketing and attitude behind the scenes. How about you go do the research regarding the backlash of this film starting with Larson's virtue signaling and borderline (if not actually) racist/sexists remarks, the gofundme, RT, access media, Marvel/Disney execs, etc and then message me. Either youll see where Im coming from, stay neutral or youll agree with the waman...

Either way, makes no difference to me.

Be it as it may, the talk of "politics" in a deliberately politicized movie has triggered some here, and I dont want to upset them further, so with that I say farewell.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #630
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
How about you go do the research regarding the backlash of this film starting with Larson's virtue signaling and borderline (if not actually) racist/sexists remarks, the gofundme, RT, access media, Marvel/Disney execs, etc and then message me. Either youll see where Im coming from, stay neutral or youll agree with the waman...
Or just ignore all that noise and enjoy the movie.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote