Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 07-14-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

wktf and Sam Wilson's Comic Reviews 7/13/05

Wktf’s Reviews

It’s good to be back to these reviews after a week away with the family. My haul was pretty large, as it included last week’s books. The list is too long to run through but I will say, after swearing off Superman titles following the mess Azzarello and Lee put us through, I did pick up Superman and Action Comics due to their tie in to the O.M.A.C. Project. Also, added volume 3 of the Superman/Batman HC series to my collection (if you followed my reviews you know how much I loved this arc) as well as The Thing: Freakshow tpb because, well, I just can’t get enough of blushin’ bashful Benjy. Onto it!

All-Star Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder #1
DC Comics
Written by: Frank Miller
Drawn by: Jim Lee & Scott Williams

The Dark Knight Returns!

No, not the Frank Miller epic that almost single handedly jump-started the comics industry back in 1986. I’m talking about the next big Batman effort from DC Comics. The premise behind the “All-Star” line of comics is to give readers a purely iconic version of their favorite heroes unburdened by the tangle of decades worth of continuity. For Batman that means Robin is the youthful Richard Grayson, Commissioner Gordon is still on the force and Vicki Vale is one hot commodity. And who better to give us a primal force Batman story but the two biggest Batman creators of the last twenty years: Frank Miller and Jim Lee.

Our tale begins with some stunning aerial acrobatics by young Richard as part of the famous Flying Graysons. Vicki Vale, prancing around her huge apartment in her pink undies is complaining that Metropolis got the good hero, the Man of Steel (and she wonders if there’s anything Freudian about that nickname), while Gotham is stuck with a flying rodent who actually can’t fly. However, she’s hot for Bruce Wayne and jumps at the chance for a date with him, even if it is to the circus. Of course, we know what happens to Richard’s Mom and Dad, and we get to watch a pretty powerful transformation come over the child star from happy and carefree to stern and serious. Bruce, it turns out, who has an eye for talent has had his eye on him. But, when the Grayson parents are murdered, Bruce disappears to be replaced by a shadowy angel of vengeance.

The writing is trademark Miller. For example, “There’s something rotten in Gotham City. It wears a badge.” And Frank, as with his Dark Knight books and even Batman: Year One, simply can’t resist bringing at least one Superman reference into his Batman script. Interesting also that the Batman calls Richard “soldier,” just as he did with Carrie in Dark Knight. And even though he reuses a trick from Year One, which is borrowed in “Batman Begins,” it still works effectively. Jim Lee’s art is spectacular. His facial expressions, from the shock and horror on the young Grayson’s face to the angry but cool expression on Bruce’s before his disappearance, are riveting. His Batmobile, circa 1950 is stunning. And the Batman he gives us on the final page is beautifully dark and foreboding. This Batman clearly is a tribute to Miller’s, from the bulky Bat chest emblem to the cowl and facial features.

While certainly dark and scary, this Batman does not carry the oppressive weight of today’s counterpart that, frankly, I have a hard time reading anymore. Today’s Batman feels almost burdensome. This story feels fresh and light while still being true to the Batman mythos. So far, we’ve got a winner on our hands, here!

JLA #116
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Allan Heinberg

This issue is part two of the inevitable fallout within the Justice League of America from last year’s famous Identity Crisis series. Of course, in addition to the revelation that it was the Atom’s wife who killed Sue, The Elongated Man’s wife, we also learned Zatana and the League wiped Batman’s mind clean of the knowledge that they’d lobotomized Dr. Light after he raped poor Sue when he tried to stop them from performing this mystical operation. What’s more, the Secret Society had once discovered the identity of each League member and, so, Zatana performed a similar memory-erasing spell on them as well.

Well, Batman’s become aware of what was done to him and a major League villain has restored the Secret Society’s memories. Batman, who’s proved he can be the League’s worst enemy by almost facilitating their destruction in the Tower of Babel story, is rightfully livid. And the Secret Society’s come calling on Batman, J’onn and Catwoman in Gotham by dropping the unconscious members of the League on top of them. All hell breaks lose as the rooftops erupt in battle. But afterwards, Batman disappears with the wounded Catwoman to the Batcave and the League follows to make amends with the Dark Knight. Zatana offers a sincere and heartfelt apology to Bruce and it even, for a moment, looks like he’s about to accept it as he stands over the broken body of Red Tornado. But, as this issues cover implies, he doesn’t and with explosive results. After the fisticuffs between the Bat and Hawkman, the League is forced to split up to protect the coming threat to their loved ones, leaving poor J’onn first with the Tornado’s remains and then alone facing the villain who set these events in motion.

This was not as compelling a read as I thought it would be, especially after the cliffhanger setup of the last issue. Still, the tension is carrying forward nicely, the League appears to be unraveling, and the threat to each of them and their loved ones is real. This is a darker DC Universe, for sure. I just hope the fans don’t feel turned off from the heavier tone Identity Crisis set and now is being carried through DC’s core books when all this is over.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #21
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Greg Land

I stopped reading this title after the very first story arc. I just couldn’t get into it. This issue, of course, has been hyped as the Ultimate Universe meets the Marvel (or 616) Universe so I thought I’d give it a spin. Oddly enough, despite some writing changes, Millar’s back on this book. Different artist, though. And, sure enough, the three part arc’s called “Crossover.”

Well, it appears the youthful Fantastic Four, part of the Baxter Building think tank of young geniuses, have outed themselves to the public and the press, much to the chagrin of Sue and Johnny’s dad, Dr. Storm, who appears to be in charge of the research facility. His concern is that Reed has gone from nerdy super genius research scientist to reckless superhero who’s endangering his kids and has lost focus on the assignments that will keep the organization’s shareholders happy. To whit, the foursome journeyed back 150 million years to apprehend a group of time bandits who are willing to ransom humanity’s future, by threatening to kill the first animal to climb out of the swamp (our ancestor, I guess…I wonder what the Intelligent Design people would say about this issue?) if they don’t get $10 billion. In the process, Ben punches out a T-Rex and Sue gets to look hot in a midriff. Well, despite Dr. Storm’s warnings and Sue’s come-ons (what is up with this universe’s Reed, anyway?), Reed has made contact with a parallel earth and, you’ve guessed it, seems to be communicating with a holographic image of the Marvel Universe’s Mr. Fantastic and Franklin. In fact, Ultimate Reed believes he’s being invited to a gathering of the multiverse’s smartest minds for a mission the MU Reed has in mind.

Naturally, things start going from bad to worse, but the worst part of the whole thing is the story itself. Love or hate the concept of these two universes’ Mr. Fantastics meeting, the writing is dull and Greg Land’s art is just flat and lacks any real dynamic quality. Sure, his photo realistic style often gives us beautiful women but it doesn’t seem able to sustain this issue. This book was a real let down and reminded me of why I dropped the title in the first place.

Sam Wilson’s Reveiws

Yo,

Another week, another chunk of change to the LCS. I must say, this week was heftier than most, New Avengers, Ultimate Fantastic Four and X-men, JLA, Wonder Woman, and this week’s biggest release, All Star Batman and Robin. My pick of the week is Warren Ellis’s Desolation Jones. That being said, let’s get on with the reviews.

Mutopia X issue 1 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: David Hine
Drawn by: Lan Medina

Yeah, fine, I bought another “House of M” crossover. So what, it’s my three bucks goddammmit, so I can do what I want with it. That being said, this issue was okay, not great, but okay, definitely better than District X, which I believe to have been a book of HUGE untapped potential (spot on art by David Yardin, but kinda unfulfilling story wise). Anyway, like other “House of M” crossover titles, Mutopia X is made up of the elements of it’s parent title (District X), but twisted all around by the Scarlet Witch’s hex powers (for a full explanation of the “House of M” phenomenon, see last weeks reviews).

Mutopia X starts out with Ismael Ortega (one of the lead characters in District X) going over how much of a mess his life is back in the regular Marvel U, and then blammo, white light and everything is new. Ismael, or “Izzy” is now living in a fancy apartment with his wife Armena (the same one from District X) and their kids and is an agent of the XSE (some kind of federal law enforcement agency). Lucas Bishop (I hate the fact they gave him the dorky first name, he was way cooler when he was just “Bishop”) is a NYPD street cop in NYC’s toughest neighborhood, sapien town, a human ghetto (wow, lotsa imagination went into that switch). The action starts when one of the nations most popular musicians, “Jazz E Jazz” is playing a gig in Sapien town, and it’s disrupted by a suicide bomber for the terrorist and pro-human organization “The Sapien League”. To make a long story short the blast is contained and to investigate the incident, the XSE teams Ortega with Bishop, and so it goes.

The difference between this title and its regular Marvel U counterpart District X? Well, Izzy and Bishop have switched rolls and that’s pretty much it. It’s not very inventive like the FF or Iron Man “House of M” books. It’s kinda cool, Bishop is a great character who honestly hasn’t been given a decent solo book since the 1994 John Ostrander and Carlos Pacheo Bishop four issue limited series. Other than Bishop, the book really doesn’t have much else going for it. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great either. Will I be buying the next four issues? Doubtful, but you never know. Would I recommend it? Only if you feel you need all the parts to “House of M”, otherwise skipping it would not be a great loss.

Hercules issue 4 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Frank Tieri
Drawn by: Mark Texeira

The Hercules I remember was a proud member of the Avengers in the ‘80’s. I remember him always getting into tiffs with the Wasp about her leadership, and I remember him enjoying a night of drinking and a fine wench or two. Ahh yes, the politically incorrect son of Zeus, loved that guy, a little levity in an otherwise serious world of antiheroes and do-gooders. He eventually left the Avengers, but every once in awhile when needed you would see good ol’ Herc show his face for a beer or two (most recently in the last “She-Hulk” series). As you all know, the Avengers disbanded and Herc fell on hard times, his glory days a thing of the past. Seems all ol’ Herc has been doing recently is taking up space on a bar stool and sharing stories (not always to captive audiences) about the good old days. Good thing someone decided to pull him out of his slump and give him a brand new limited series.

So how does one get a has-been superhero and god back on his feet? With his own reality TV show of course. Enter TV producer Gordon Allsworth and his trusty crew consisting of Robert and Jimmy the cameraman. They decide that a modern rendition of “The 12 Labors of Hercules” (one of Herc’s greatest achievements) is just the thing for the next “hot” reality show. Things start off kinda bumpy, and then enter King Eurystheus and his shape-shifting legbreaker Achelous. Due to the actions of Hercules’s son and mother, Eurystheus had his eyes plucked out and his head removed. Yeah, so he’s blind, has a wicked scar, and a definite bone to pick. Anyway, he proposes that Herc relives the “12 Labors” so they can settle old scores, and so Herc can become a hero again. The Prince of Power accepts, much to his producers delight, and off we are with a new reality based ancient super hero reborn tale. Or something like that. Oh yeah, and Achelous? What’s his beef with Herc? Yup, you guessed it, it’s about a woman.

This isn’t your typical Marvel series. It’s not meant to be taken seriously, all you continuity purists will probably be severely disappointed in it. No, Hercules is not being reinvented and there is not a “character defining moment” to be found. This is Frank Tieri kicking back and having a good time with a cool, forgotten character. Comedy is abound, some of the best moments coming from Jimmy the cameraman (love his timing, he has a great scene where he offers Shanna the She-Devil $20 to take her top off…).

In issue four Herc is almost done with his “12 Labors”. One of his final tasks is to get Captain America’s shield, which puts him at odds with all the new Avengers. Herc had a falling out with the Cap in the first issue of the series, so it’s likely a loan ain't gonna happen, and thus wacky antics ensue, until the end of the issue when we find out Herc’s final labor isn’t so funny, and is directly tied to his past. So if you’re sick and tired of serious crossovers and “deep” reading, check out Hercules, or get the trade when it comes out in a few months. I guarantee you’ll laugh. Well, at least a little bit.

New Avengers issue #7
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Steve McNiven

The New Avengers, what can be said really? This title is arguably one of Marvel’s hottest books right now. The old Avengers ended with a bang, the fallout from that still being dealt with in the “House of M” books. The New Avengers are a team unlike any Avengers team before, we got Spider-Man (a perpetual loner), Jessica Drew aka Spider-Woman (an agent of SHIELD and part time web slinger), Wolverine (X-man and anti hero who isn’t above killing someone, an unusual trait for an “Avenger”), the Sentry (we’ll get into him later) and of course regular Avenger mainstays Captain America and Iron Man. The story thus far? A prison break at “The Raft”, a high tech security prison housing many super-powered criminals has occurred, at least 40 of them have escaped. Call it circumstance or whatever, but in the right place at the right time are Captain America, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Luke Cage and the mysterious Sentry. After battling the rioting and escaping criminals together, Cap convinces Iron Man that a new team of Avengers has been brought together by fate (much like the original team). Tony digs this idea, and puts them up at Stark Tower, the de facto “Avengers Mansion”, and thus a new legend is born…

Presently, the Avengers have just gotten back from the Savage Land (it’s a place in Antarctica with a tropical climate that has dinosaurs, for those who don’t know) where they were picking up Sauron, a real nasty who was one of “The Raft’s” escapee’s. In addition to dinosaurs, our heroes run into some rogue SHIELD agents led by pseudo Black Widow Yelena Belova. Turns out these rogues are mining Vibranium for weapons development and selling the weapons to the highest bidder. There is a dust up, and then a SHIELD helicarrier shows up and eradicates the rogue agents with extreme prejudice. Oh yeah, Yelena is left alive, but lightly roasted and will probably have some nasty scars and a bone to pick with the New Avengers, but that will most likely be it’s own story. Anyway, with the sudden and swift intervention of SHIELD, the Avengers immediately suspect a cover up, and something more sinister is happening, but that too is a different story for a different time.

Enter issue 7, Tony Stark is having a meeting with the rest of the big brains of the Marvel U (Professor X, Sub Mariner, Reed Richard, Dr. Strange and Black Bolt) and letting them know the Avengers are back. Meanwhile, the Wrecker is on the loose and looking for his gear, purchased by an unusual collector. In the midst of stealing it back Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, Luke Cage and Wolverine catch up to him and mix it up. I’ll say this. Bendis does have a talent for epic battle scenes, and damn, this one is a doozy. Finally, Cap and Iron Man track down Sentry and ask him some tough questions.

Okay, I do really enjoy this series, Finch’s art has been great, and McNiven’s art in this issue is top notch as well. Bendis has great dialogue as always and a great ability to weave a story, but I hated the end of this issue. I can’t say why, it’ll ruin it, but I really, really hated it. It deals with Sentry, and, well, I thought it was stupid and cheap and really unimaginative. Ugh. Honestly, they are going to move on from this, and I’ll just force it out of my memory so I can enjoy the rest of the series, but damn. Suck. So if you aren’t already, pick up this book. This issue features a nifty retro variant cover by Neal Adams (yes, that Neal Adams). I personally prefer the Finch cover with the sexy Spider Woman and the rest of the team picture. Check it out, if not, well, I guess your mind is already made up then.

Classic Non-Trade Reviews

Yes, you read that heading correctly. The two of us have been reviewing many of our favorite trades for several months now. But like many of you, we’re guessing, there are some outstanding comics stories that have never (to our knowledge) been captured in trade format. Why this is the case simply boggles our minds. So here are two choices we feel should get the trade wrapper ASAP. We hope you agree!

Wktf’s Review

“Thunder in the Netherworld!”
Collecting: Journey Into Mystery #125, The Mighty Thor #s 126-130
Written by: Stan Lee
Drawn by: Jack Kirby
Why a Trade? Guys, it doesn’t get any better than this!

The year was 1966, four years and forty-two issues after the appearance of The Mighty Thor in the pages of Journey Into Mystery #83. Stan and Jack, with issue #125, the last issue to be called Journey Into Mystery until the title changed to The Mighty Thor with the next issue, took their readers on an explosive whirlwind six issue story that must rank as one of the singe greatest continuing Thor adventure epics ever created.

Check this out! We begin with “When Meet The Immortals!” in which Odin, Thor’s enraged father, commands the forces of Asgard to attack his son for revealing his identity of Dr. Blake to the mortal Jane Foster. Hercules, in the mean time, has made his way to New York and, having foiled a robbery by hurling lamp post through the getaway car, is seeking to woo the very same Jane. Having overcome all of Asgard’s forces in a furiously violent Ritual of Steel to reunite with Jane, Thor is incredulous that Hercules is rebutting him in defense of Jane who was hurt by Thor’s absence. The ensuing battle, in “Whom The Gods Would Destroy!” pits Thor vs. Hercules in an all-out no-holds-barred slugfest throughout Manhattan. Victory is stolen from Thor by his angered father who, in his love for his son cannot punish him directly but, in a display of colossal bad judgment, gives the Odinpower to a courtier called Seidring the Merciless to strip Thor of half his strength. Of course, armed with the Odinpower, Seidring then turns on Odin and takes control of Asgard. With Thor’s strength halved, Hercules wipes the ground with him. Humiliated, dejected and utterly defeated, no longer certain his deserves the mantle of Thunder God, Thor leaves an anguished Jane Foster to face his father’s judgment. What ensues, in “The Hammer and the Holocaust!” is an already battered but desperate Thor’s impossible victory over the Odin-powerful Seidring, a victory that restores the power to Odin who, then, regains the throne but nearly kills Thor. At the end of this issue, a remorseful Odin carries the limp body of his beloved son away. In “The Power of Pluto,” as Thor recovers, Hercules is duped into signing a contract to replace Pluto as Lord of the Netherworld. A revived and empowered Thor, looking for round two with Hercules, comes to his aide instead against the hordes of Hades, surprising Hercules with his renewed prodigious strength. But, “In The Verdict of Zeus!” Hercules pleads for mercy from his father and seeks the help of his Olympian brethren from his plight. Due to his centuries of arrogance, however, no one on Mt. Olympus is willing to lift a finger for the son of Zeus. A monumental coincidence (thanks, Stan!) sends Thor into limbo for the Day of the Three Worlds where Thor is commanded to stake all on behalf of another. Who needs him the most? Yup, Thor’s former foe, Hercules. Thor must battle for Hercules’ freedom and, if he loses, will be doomed to rule Hades in Hercules’ stead.

This story wraps in “Thunder in the Netherworld!” in which Thor, after having previously been beaten, humiliated, stripped of his power, and nearly killed over the prior five issues, finally gets to cut lose at his full strength. And, man, does he ever. Single-handedly and with his full power at his command, Thor takes on the entire populace of Pluto’s realm in defense of Hercules who, in an ironic turnaround, has now been stripped of his power by Zeus. Thor’s battle is cataclysmic and pure Kirby goodness, as are all the previous chapters. Victory is total and glorious for Thor, defeat comes at a great price for Pluto after Thor’s rampage, and Hercules vows Thor his lifelong friendship. What else can I say? Stan and Jack are at the absolute height of their powers with this story. Stan really cuts lose with dialogue like, “Anger??! By the bristling beard of Odin, thou knowest not the meaning of the word! Not all the fury in the heavens - - not all the savagery on Earth - - can equal the senses-shattering cyclone of rage with is Thor, when seized by a pounding paroxysm of wrath!” It’s corny but pure Stan! And how does Thor get all that dialogue in while delivering just a single blow? Dunno, but it’s golden! This epic spans New York, Asgard, Olympus, and Hades and deals with love, anger, loyalty, friendship and all-out pulse pounding battles. It combines mythology, science fiction and pure superhero elements beautifully. Fantastic Four and Captain America may be the more famous Lee/Kirby efforts but none of them surpass, and few even match, this epic for sheer Silver Age Marvel magic!

Sam Wilson’s Review

The Falcon issues 1-4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jim Owsley
Drawn by: Paul Smith (issue 1), MD Bright (issues 2-4)
Redwing: Could Kick Zabu’s a$#.

1981, Ronald Regan is president, comics are 60 cents, and Jim Owsley is an editor extraordinaire at Marvel Comics. In a flash of awesomeness, Owsley decides to do a Falcon story. He goes to then EIC Jim Shooter with the idea, Shooter says “Great”, and then 20 some revisions later the plot is shipped off to Paul Smith, and wallah, the first issue of The Falcon is complete. Originally slated for Marvel Fanfare, then editor Archie Goodwin had no room for it so on the shelf it sat until 1983, when Shooter declared, “Yo (I’m paraphrasing here), let’s do a Falcon limited series! Call that Owsley guy!” So Jim Owsley was charged with turning his one shot to a four issue limited series, but Paul Smith was off and working on some unknown title called The Uncanny X-men. Enter Mark Bright, who says he can pencil The Falcon in between sci-fi novel covers. Thus, an epic was born.

First and foremost, The Falcon is a product of his environment, Harlem NYC. Yeah, he was Cap’s partner, and an Avenger, but to me at least his most important gig was that of social worker by day Sam Wilson and protector of the mean streets at night “The Falcon”. Manhattan had its fill of Heroes, Hells Kitchen had it’s own protector, someone had to take care of the hood and that was my hommie, Sam. Born and raised in Harlem, Sam Wilson was the son of a preacher who lost his father at an early age, which sent him down a dark path of drug dealing and hustling. Sam “Snap” Wilson was not a good guy, he was a predator doing nothing to contribute to the quality of life in his neighborhood. Enter the cosmic cube, the Red Skull, and Captain America and “Snap” is transformed to the costumed hero “The Falcon”. Come issue #171 of Captain America the Harlem Knight gets his wings from T’Challa, aka the Black Panther, and thus a new legend is born.

So what is so damn special about The Falcon? Isn’t he a 2nd tier character? Well yeah, maybe, but I’ll say this, Owsley’s limited series was WAY ahead of it’s time. Damn the “sweet Christmas” stereotypical behavior of Luke Cage, and screw the Avengers “affirmative action hire” status, Owsley made Sam Wilson way more than a stereotype. Think Reggie Hudlin’s Black Panther rather than that MTV-ready garbage known as Brian Azzarello’s Cage. No gold teeth or big chains here, Sam Wilson is an educated man who cares about his neighborhood. In the first issue we see him speak up for those who have fell through the cracks of the ghetto, negotiating gang truces and treating even the lowest criminal with dignity and respect, a far cry for your standard superhero fare. Were comic fans ready for this? Some of them. Some of them still aren’t. In Azzarello’s Cage you get a picture of the MTV Ghetto. Big Bootied chicas and gold chains, it’s like watching a Lil’ John video; too bad that is not what real ghetto’s are like. The Falcon shows us the real side, the human side, where people have been pushed around to the point where they just don’t give a fu$#, and either rise above or sink below. Sam Wilson is in a unique position, because he has done both, and can reach those who have fallen with a perspective that can be understood by all sides.

Oh yeah, and story wise? Of course The Falcon is DOPE. Let’s see, we got the introduction of SGT Tork, who we see at the end of Christopher Priest’s Black Panther run as Kasper Cole’s supervisor and: a Sentinel (seriously), Electro, Captain America, Ronald Regan, and oh yeah, my boy Sammy gets some (hey, sensitive, not chaste, jeeze…). Yeah, and that cat Jim Owsley? Well, he moves on to Power Man and Iron Fist, and later you cats get to know him as Christopher Priest and well, ‘nuff said. Black Panther, The Crew, Captain America and the Falcon, if you haven’t read those books, well then you are missing out. M. D. Bright? One of the original cats of Milestone comics, penciling Icon, and later worked on Priest’s Quantum and Woody. So if you care, go to your LCS and dig up The Falcon (or Ebay, or the Internet, whatever…). It’s cheap and damn entertaining, and you may even learn a little something as well.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

Guys, great idea with the should be trades storylines. I love both of these and have to ask "Why not, Marvel?"
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Cool, great reviews guys, but I don't agree with All Star Batman and Robin, the dialogue seemed very childish. You can be "light" but you don't have to resort to words like "AWESOME" in order to do this. Sam, about Mutopia, from what I saw of Bishop, he still has that "M" on his face right? How do they explain this?
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

WKTF, we agree on All-Star Batman! There is a first for everything.

Sam, we agree on New AVengers too. The battle was gtreat, the ending was aweful. Stupid. So bad it left a bad taste in yoru mouth.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
Cool, great reviews guys, but I don't agree with All Star Batman and Robin, the dialogue seemed very childish. You can be "light" but you don't have to resort to words like "AWESOME" in order to do this. Sam, about Mutopia, from what I saw of Bishop, he still has that "M" on his face right? How do they explain this?
They don't!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
MiamiLoco

Hahah, so Bishop (now a normal dude) is just running around with an ugly black "M" on his face?? Priceless :P
Old 07-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
b_c is correct. Yes on the "M", no on the expanation? Hmm, I think everyone seems to have forgotten about that whole "from the future" thing. You guys read that Pacheo/Ostrander Bishop series? Now that's Bishop done right...

b_c, it could be a red letter day, cause I haven't read All Star Batman yet, and considering 99.9% of the time I agree with wk, we might have a triple agreement happening here...
Old 07-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Oh yeah, and thanks for the compliments fellas (toxie and maimi). And the rest of you. Word.

Toxie, speaking of the essential format and books that need to be collected, I wish they would do a Power Man/Iron Fist essential...
Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Hahah, so Bishop (now a normal dude) is just running around with an ugly black "M" on his face?? Priceless :P
meh, Bishop is still a mutant in "Mutopia X", but it is still lame...
Old 07-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
MiamiLoco

Oh, since in your review you said:

"Well, Izzy and Bishop have switched rolls and that’s pretty much it."

I thought that meant that Izzy was a mutant and Bishop was human.