Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 5/4/06

Wktf’s Reviews

A big event week in comics as Infinite Crisis comes to an end and Civil War begins. We also have the finale of the stellar Apocalypse vs. Dracula mini-series and the continuation of two of the best OYL storylines running in the Batman and Superman titles. I normally love reviewing these Superman and Batman books but you have to draw the line somewhere, plus I’m doing Batman in this week’s trade review. And on the trade front, the Eisner award winning Gotham Central sees its third volume trade reprint. A nasty flu I’ve been fighting for about a week is liable to make these reviews a little shorter (I’m tired, guys). You’ll have to let me know if it’s an improvement.

Infinite Crisis #7 of 7
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Phil Jiminez, George Perez, Ivan Reis & Joe Bennet

The mother of all event series comes to a close in a massive supervillain/superhero brawl across the streets of Metropolis. If you read last week’s Villains United Crisis Special you know that the Society, led by Alex Luthor but disguised as Lex, has freed every metahuman on the planet from prison and declared total war on the forces of good. And they’ve got a few more surprise recruits…most notably Bane, who I thought had retired, and Doomsday. The idea is that if they can topple Superman’s city the rest will go the same way. But Superman of Earth 2 has learned already that he backed the wrong horse with Alex and has joined forces with Superman of Earth 1 again, much like he did in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

This issue presents an ending and, with all endings to really great stories, it’s almost disappointing in and of itself. But there are some really great moments in this book. The collective mourning for Connor/Superboy, who was killed last issue, with Batman’s grimly stated but heartfelt words and the pain he knows Superman shares with him. Diana’s symbolic laying down of her sword and Batman’s shocking (for him) display of anger at Alex Luthor as well as the Bat-team's pounding of Deathstroke (unfortunately, mostly off the page). And, of course, the marquee pairing of the two Supermen, once at odds, now striking as one to, literally dismantle Doomsday, take down Bizzaro and team up against the insane Superboy. And, not seen since the first issue, a major DC character returns to these pages to exact some much needed revenge. Sick and twisted as it was, frankly, I took some guilty pleasure in seeing some well deserved punishment meted out. I believe I may even have smiled along with Luthor at that moment. Ultimately, some groundwork also is laid for the OYL stories, at least those for Batman and Superman, that helps explain some of the character changes we’ve been seeing in Batman and how Superman became depowered.

Yes, this issue goes out with an enormous bang, some satisfying resolutions, plenty of lose ends to be picked up in 52, and sheds a little light on OYL. And it does so while providing some chuckles, excitement, a little confusion (wait a minute, is there now only one Flash or are there two? Is Steel back in his costume? Is that Lobo hanging with the heroes? What’s up with Captain Marvel’s hair?), and a hint of menace at the end. For big cosmic, grand scale mega-universe shifting events, this has been one of the best.

Civil War #1 of 7
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Steve McNiven

I was pumped for this issue and dreading it at the same time. With all the hype and build up in the trade and popular presses (Marvel’s PR department has been working overtime on this one) plus the lead-in stories going on in Marvel’s regular titles I found it hard not to get sucked into this issue. Still, after House of M left me feeling flat and Infinite Crisis left me feeling, well, burned out (with virtually a year’s lead time plus the seven issue series I felt like I was ready to rest after IC #7) I just didn’t know if I could steel myself up for “A Marvel Comics Event in Seven Parts.” Top it all off, I’m just not that big a fan of Steve McNiven’s art. It never did anything for me in MK4 or his brief run in New Avengers. It just looked posed and static. The one saving grace that has kept my hopes up? Mark Millar. I’m a convert after his stints on MK Spider-Man, Wolverine and, of course, The Ultimates. The guy can develop characters, move a plot, script a damn fine story, and write action better than almost anyone.

Well, Mr. Millar, thank you! This book is my pick of the week. If Infinite Crisis gave us universe threatening menaces on a huge galactic scale, Civil War #1 presents a tale of intimacy and seeming betrayal in a story that resonates close to home in a post 9-11 and Iraqi War world. Though, to be fair, there’s nothing really overtly political about this story. Goliath says it best to Ms. Marvel, referencing recent events in Captain America, Fantastic Four and Wolverine, “After Philly getting bombed, the Hulk trashing Vegas…Wolverine saying he was gonna kill the President? This is the start of the witch hunts, honey, they’ll be coming after us with torches and pitchforks.” The New Warriors disaster has been well publicized so I won’t go into detail other than to reflect that Captain America reports the FEMA chief said there could be eight or nine hundred deaths, many of whom are children. Should superheroes be registered and regulated, like police officers and doctors? I thought I was pretty clear on this, that I knew on which side I stood, but the really interesting thing is that, especially after reading the tense dialogue between Captain America and SHIELD Commander Hill, I can’t really tell. I’m really not sure. Most importantly to me, Millar takes what was the hardest thing for me to swallow, the split between and confrontation among the heroes (for example, Iron Man and Cap have had their differences, but they’ve always been comrades and friends) and makes it believable by making both sides sympathetic.

And speaking of Captain America, I’m going to return to Steve McNiven for a moment. The art in this book is just brilliant. That conversation I referenced between Hill and Cap? McNiven moves from a casual but professional conversation, to dug in tension, to all out confrontation, to explosive action through a fantastic sequence of panels. This is one of the best Captain America action sequences I’ve seen since Jack Kirby’s work in Tales of Suspense. And McNiven’s Spider-Man, who had only a brief cameo this issue, is drawn in a creepy pose that makes him seem almost alien. Cap comes off as pure Cap, true to the American ideal but not necessarily to the government’s actions (remember when he became Nomad?). This issue was Cap’s issue but the last panel plainly shows how the lines are being drawn. Maybe because the Marvel Universe has always felt more like a close knit family to me than any other comic universe, this issue hit me harder than I expected. Almost like a betrayal, except I’m having trouble now choosing sides. I think Marvel’s got a genuine winner on their hands. After House of M, it’s about time, too.

X-Men: Apolcalypse vs. Dracula #4 of 4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Frank Tieri
Drawn by: Clayton Henry

Well, this series was a blast. Anyone who hasn’t read it really should pick up the trade. Unfortunately, this issue happens to be the weakest of the run. The wrap-up was just a little too neat and tidy, not at all how the story has progressed to date. The quick summary is that the prince and soldier Vlad Dracul was defeated by Apocalypse during the Crusades but returned from the dead as a vampire, becoming the Lord of Vampires, only to declare war on Apocalypse in the late 19th Century. Attacking and killing Apocalypse’s followers, the Clan Akkaba, the vampire lord set forces in motion from the side lines to gradually bring Apocalypse down. And Apocalypse has not been faring well at all up until this point.

Traveling to Transylvania to take the fight to Dracula, Apocalypse cannot be aware that this is exactly what Dracula wants. For, you see, Apocalypse carries Dracula’s bite on his neck which he soon will discover leaves him vulnerable to Dracula’s every command. But Apolcalypse has brought some allies with him, notably his scribe Ozymandias and Abraham Van Helsing, the famous Dutch vampire hunter from Stoker’s book. Still, when Dracula sets lightning, vermin and wolves upon the crew even Apocalypse, especially in his weakened state, finds himself driven to the ground.

This confrontation must end, and the ending is both a bit anti-climactic and confusing, especially given all the years of Dracula history in the Marvel Universe starting in the 1970s through the present. Still, while this particular issue didn’t maintain the excellence of the prior issues, the Tieri/Henry creative combination was a winning one on this title and, should this series inevitably receive trade packaging, I would recommend it over the majority of more popular superhero trade books out there.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Not a bad week this week, we got some great tpbs, including Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David vol. 3, and one of the best Punisher stories told in recent times, an unflinching and unforgiving tale collected in the Punisher MAX vol. 5: The Slavers. Of course we have the biggest event of the month, if not the year, from Marvel Comics, the first part of their Civil War story (reviewed by my comrade). My pick of the week this week is Nick Fury: Peacemaker (hey, check it out, you may be surprised), and that being said, on to the reviews…

Ultimate Spider-Man #94
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Mark Bagley (a great penciller and a heck of a nice guy)

For those of you who haven’t been following USM, ol’ Petey has been having a rough go of it lately. Most recently he has tangled with Omega Red and Silver Sable, and before that he was caught in the middle of a massive gang war between Hammerhead and the Kingpin which resulted in the supposed death of Elektra and had about a gazillion guest stars (including Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Black Cat, and a few others). Even with all that going on though, Peter Parker has found time to get over his old girl Mary Jane and find a new one in the form of Kitty Pyrde aka Shadowcat, of the X-men. She’s the perfect girlfriend for a young super hero; she can keep a secret, has super powers, and is used to the whole super hero thing in general. They got together in the first Ultimate Spider-Man Annual and have been together ever since. Issue 91 kicks off a new storyline for the junior web-slinger, and ho boy, is he ever lucky to have an X-man for a girlfriend…

The story opens with Peter and Kitty taking on some weird no-name villain and kicking his but. Kitty has acquired a new costume for when she is hanging with Spider-Man, and the two play very well of each other. They part ways, and Kitty promises that soon they will go out on a “real date. Kitty finally gets back to the x-mansion and something weird happens which causes her to call Spidey to come running to save the day, and well, the same weird thing happens to him (they both are attacked by what appears to be friends). Then we see Deadpool and the Reavers (you know, those cyborgs whom in the regular Marvel U were former Hellfire Club thugs who have all been dismembered by Wolverine?). Suddenly Peter finds himself getting chucked out of a plane by the Reavers and Deadpool and then he finds himself alongside the X-men on Krakoa (in Ultimate X-men Krakoa is an island by Genosha used by Mojo and the Genoshan Gov’t; they show live “hunting” executions of mutants on PPV and make a crapload of money, but anyway…). Soon Peter is neck deep in Genosha’s favorite reality show being hunted by Deadpool and his Reavers (who we soon find out are all ex-soldiers who have undergone artificial enhancement in order to better hunt and kill the mutant menace). Issue 94 is our finale, and let me tell you. We get off camera Professor X action, Kitty Pryde in a fastball special, and Aunt May gets some. Yeah. For real. No, seriously, she aint that old in this book, anyway…

Witty banter, Deadpool, the X-men, and a$# whuppings left and right, pick this issue up, this story line is DOPE. If you don’t, I’m sure a tpb will follow shortly collecting the entire storyline in one volume. I’ve kissed this books a$# enough, by now you know it’s a solid read, Bendis and Bagley are the most consistent team in comics since Lee and Kirby, and I had the good fortune of briefly meeting Mark Bagley at the NYC con. Heck of a nice guy, so pick his book up already.

The Outsiders #36
DC Comics
Written by: Judd Winick
Drawn by: Matthew Clark

For those of you who haven’t been following “The Outsiders”, they have recently been through some tough times. On top of being fed all of their bad guy intel by Deathstroke disguised as Batman, one of their own members went crazy and tried to kill all of them and the Teen Titans (Indigo, the android from the future who turned out to be a Braniac). Nightwing quit the team in disgust, Starfire and Captain Marvel Jr. signed on and Jade and Arsenal blew up their old headquarters. Then there was “Infinite Crisis”, which split the team up as Donna Troy grabbed Starfire and a few others to go off and do some cosmic battling, and Nightwing stayed behind to lead the assault on the alternate Earth’s (Earth 3 I think, I don’t know, who can keep track?) Lex Luthor’s artic stronghold. Then “one year later” happened, and the team once again went through another major change.

This new, “one year later” team of Outsiders is supposed to be more proactive (kinda like they first set out to be). Only different this time, I guess. Anyway, they are going to get their hands more dirty and go after some big fish and actually try and do some good in the world dealing (yeah, okay, kinda repetitive, but not, be patient). Anyway Nightwing is back in charge; Grace, Thunder, Shift and Katanna (an original Outsider) are all back, and new to the team: Captain Boomerrang. Well, Captain Boomerrang’s son anyway, the new Captain Boomerrang, who we last saw in the pages of “Identity Crisis”. So this new team decides to set wrongs with a heavy hand, and the first person they go after is a no good African dictator who likes to kill people and probably has some kind of mental powers as well. The team sends Thunder in deep undercover to get close, and she uncovers the dictator’s stash of sarin gas only to have her cover blown. The rest of the Outsiders come in for support, but they soon find themselves in conflict with a metahuman who appears to be under the dictator’s employ, a superspeedster who hands the team a nasty whuppin (all this happens in issues #35 and 36). The team soon gets it together, Captain Boomerrang shows us his stuff, and that superspeedster? Well, it turns out he wasn’t just a merc working for a power mad African dictator…

So “The Outsiders” is a little different then from when it first started out. It’s nice to have Nightwing back in charge, and it’s nice to see a little harder edge to the team, even though that is they way they were supposed to be from the get go. It’s also cool having an oldschooler like Katanna in the mix, and I gotta say, I really dig the new character (well, new to the DC universe anyway) Grace (the super strong, super tough former bouncer chick). I think Winick is kind of a douche, but he does well with “The Outsiders”. I would definitely recommend this book, especially to fans of the ‘80’s Teen Titan’s series, which “The Outsiders” is very akin to.

Fury: Peacemaker #4 of 6
Marvel Knights
Written by: Garth Ennis
Drawn by: Darick Robertson

For the second Time Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson tack the legendary Marvel Character Nick Fury (the first time being in the often overlooked Marvel MAX series Fury), but instead of his modern adventures they take him back, all the way back. They take him to a time before he even hooked up with the “Howling Commandos” (no, not that lame werewolf title, you know, the “Howling Commando’s”: Gabe, Dum Dum, etc), back to when he was just an infantry SGT in the United States Army during World War Two. If you have ever read any of Ennis’s “War Story” books from Vertigo, you know the man has an affinity for the genre, and who better to script Nick Fury’s pre-Howling Commando WW2 adventures?

Peacemaker opens with Fury and his unit in North Africa. Relatively new to the war, they are currently getting their keisters handed to them by the Germans. The combat is unlike anything he was prepared for and a lot of people die and Fury is pushed and pushed hard. He see’s all his men killed before him due to faulty intelligence and the negligence of his superiors, and in issue two a small regimen of British soldiers find him wandering aimlessly, shell shocked and despondent over his roll in the war. Lucky for Nick these British soldiers happen to be part of Her Majesties Special Air Services (SAS, British Commandos), and they take Nick in and teach him an entire new way to wage war, and let’s just say issue two is pretty much the opposite of issue one and you’re going to have to check it out for yourself to see what I mean. Issue three has Nick back with Allied High command, who puts him on assignment with the same SAS guys whom Nick met in North Africa (funny that) to assassinate a Nazi Field Marshall, some prodigy who is a pretty big thorn in the Allies side and killing him would make invading Germany a heck of a lot easier. When Nick and the boys eventually make it to his hiding place though, they find the Field Marshall has flown the coop. Why? He’s left, to assassinate Adolph Hitler with full support of the German high command, hopefully ending the war with a full German surrender. Yeah, and that brings us to issue four, where Fury and the SAS listen to the Field Marshall’s chief of staff tell them why exactly the regular German Army wants Hitler dead, and well, for those of you who don’t know history, in issue four history pretty much kicks you in the face. “Fury: Peacemaker” takes a turn for the serious, and I gotta admit, it really makes one sit up and get into the story.

Honestly, I would love to see this series spin off into a new “Nick Fury and his Howling Commando’s” series with Garth Ennis at the helm. Who knows? If this book sells well, it may. Is it good? Hell yeah, even though this series got off to a slow start, issue four kicks you in the nuts and makes you pay attention. I will be seeing this series out, and I hope it is successful.

Last edited by wktf; 05-06-2006 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Correction: Cap became Nomad, not Nomad (duh!).
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews!

A mixed bag for you today. No real theme, just some great books!

Wktf’s Review

Batman: Ego
DC Comics
Written by: Darwyn Cooke
Drawn by: Darwyn Cooke

Several years ago I went on a bit of a Batman trade paperback buying tear. I just couldn’t get enough of The Dark Knight and I think it’s safe to say I may have more Batman books than books for any other character in a comic book library that spans three separate rooms in my house. I picked up Batman: Ego six years ago because, well, frankly, the way-cool art deco cover just grabbed me, flipping through it the stylized art looked great, and the book was thin enough at only 64 pages that I thought it’d be a quick and diverting read if I ever needed such a thing. I’d never heard of Darwyn Cooke, the book’s writer and artist and the unbelievable talent who later gifted us with The New Frontier, at the time that I bought it. It sat on my shelf for years. I think you can tell where I’m going with this so I’ll move on.

Superhero comics about warring dual personalities are pretty common. There’s Bruce Banner and The Hulk, Doc Connors and The Lizard, Kirk Langstrom and Man-Bat, Harvey Dent and Two-Face, and those are just the examples the come straight to the top of my head. As far as dual identities, rather than dual personalities, the mid 1980s saw a little about-face on the Superman and Batman persona stuff. Prior to the Byrne and Miller reinventions, Clark Kent was the bumbling façade for Superman and it was Bruce Wayne who had to put on the mask to become Batman. Then Clark became the Superman character’s core personality and Bruce Wayne the mask, the façade for the true personality of The Batman. What Darwyn Cooke does in Batman: Ego is actually split Bruce and The Batman into separate personae, much as we’ve come to learn that Bruce Banner and The Hulk are not two sides to one person but two separate entities inextricably integrated together. And, deep in the bowls of the Batcave, while Bruce is dealing with guilt and fatigue from a recent case-gone-wrong, one that has driven him to cast off the mantle of the Bat, do these two face off against each other. The Joker is a driving force that instigates this conflict. He appears at the beginning, throughout the middle, and at the end. But, unlike other hero vs. arch villain stories, this tale is an analytical exploration of what drives both Bruce and the Bat as they seek both, at first, to throw off their dependence on each other and then see if they can reconcile. The Joker is a catalyst but not a central player in this conflict of two integrated creatures’ souls. This is anything but a typical superhero or even Batman tale but one that’s still full of terror and tension. It’s almost a “Heart of Darkness” Batman story where we fear that Bruce, having confronted this primal power, as in Conrad’s classic tale of evil, may not survive to rise at the end.

Darwyn Cooke used to work on art and storyboarding for Bruce Timm on The Batman/Superman Adventures and, later, Batman Beyond. And you can really see that here. His style looks like a blend of Timm and Steve Rude, with a dash of Kelly Jones sparingly thrown in at times. The Batman Ego persona is monstrously large, more than twice the size of Bruce Wayne’s Id, and his form and jagged mouth bear an uncanny resemblance to Clayface from the old animated series. And, as with The New Frontier, Cooke’s plotting, pacing and script blend wonderfully with his art to give us a haunting and terrifying tale that brings the reader deep into the intimate workings of The Batman’s psyche. We realize that The Joker may have some competition for the title of Batman’s greatest enemy, that it may in fact be Batman himself. This comic book debut of Cooke’s may well be the perfect companion piece to Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One to help the Bat fan understand what makes The Dark Knight tick. No Bat fan that delights in Batman canon should be without Darwyn Cooke’s Batman: Ego.

Sam Wilson’s Review

The Watchmen Absolute Edition
DC Comics
Written By: Alan Moore
Drawn By: David Gibbons

“From the very cover of the first issue, with its bloody smiley face, the reader knew that this was no ordinary superhero comic. Over the course of 12 issues, Moore and Gibbons showed that a comic can be literate without being boring, and doing that in the superhero genre is doubly impressive. Comics turned a corner with “the Watchmen” mini-series and have never looked back.” Taken from Jerry Weist’s 100 Greatest Comic Books.

Remember back in ‘86, in that box on the front cover of all DC comics that usually contained a UPC code? For awhile they were being printed with the statement “Who Watches the Watchmen?” Well, back in ’86 I was 11, so I didn’t really give a fu$#, but as I got older I picked up an unusual comic series in the comic bins at a used bookstore, The Watchmen. The cover with the bloody smiley face caught my eye, as did a vague recollection to a more innocent time. Well, if anything will rob you of comic book innocence, it’s The Watchmen, but I don’t mean that in a negative way. In the mid-‘80’s, a few key books came out catapulting comics into mainstream media, and into the “not just for kids” genre: Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One and Allan Moore’s V for Vendetta and The Watchmen, and so started the modern “grim and gritty” trend in comics.

So who (or what) exactly are The Watchmen? In many ways they are the same ilk as the Injustice Gang or the Squadron Supreme (if you’re too young to remember them, think of the original versions of JMS’s Supreme Power). They are the earth’s super heroes who started out in a world that loved and respected them, but now outlaws them and fears them (well, most of them anyway). The Watchmen has it’s own continuity not related to mainstream DC comics. An important note about the Watchmen universe, none of their costumed heroes have super powers save one, Dr. Manhattan (I’ll get into him later). Anyway, the series starts out with a grisly murder, an old man getting beat up and tossed out a window. It is later found that this old man is the hero known as “The Comedian”, a costumed hero once belonging to a group called “the Minutemen”. A scary man with a scary mask, Rorschach (yes, the same as the inkblot test) is on the case (think of him like the JLU animated series The Question, only really scary), and immediately seeks out his old costumed buddy “Nite Owl” (they both are part of the modern “Minutemen”, known as “the Watchmen”), who now lives a tame civilian life. Super hero’s have been outlawed since the “Keene Act of ‘77”, but Rorschach doesn’t really play buy societies rules, so he still runs around in his costume becoming somewhat of an urban legend. The rest of “the Watchmen” include Dr. Manhattan, the only true super-hero who gained god-like powers after a nuclear accident, Ozymandias, an individual who has taken his human capabilities to the max, he has a 10x normal IQ, is in peak physical condition and will probably live to be 150, the afore mentioned Nite Owl, a Batman type superhero who uses many gadgets and has a huge underground lair and finally the Silk Spectre, lover of Dr. Manhattan and daughter of the original Silk Spectre.

I can’t really go into the “Watchmen” story because every part is relevant to the devastating conclusion, and to give teasers would be a disservice. I will say it’s very tied into ‘80’s politics, the nuclear arms race and the subsequent paranoia that it brought on (those of you old enough to remember the ‘80’s will no exactly what I’m talking about). The Watchmen isn’t just a story of costumed hero’s, it’s very much a political commentary for the time. “Who Watched the Watchmen?” indeed, that statement will take on several meanings after you have read this the first time. My review of this series comes from the oversized “absolute” edition slipcase hardcover. In edition to a reprinting of the 12 issue series, it has a gallery of supplemental material including scripts, character designs, and notes from Alan Moore (all which were found in the original Graphitti Designs slipcase edition put out way back in 1986). My personal favorite part of the supplementary material is the comparison of the characters to their Charleton Comics Counterparts (Rorschach/Question, Nite Owl/Blue Beetle, Dr. Manhattan/Capt. Atom). Moore originally wanted to use the Charleton characters as the main ones for The Watchmen, but DC but the kibosh on that idea, so Moore just reinvented them in his own universe.

Anyway, buy this book. If you haven’t read it already, well, now would be a good time. This is arguably Alan Moore’s greatest work, and David Gibbon’s art has never been better, especially in the oversized format. It is readily available with a $75 cover price; “The Watchmen” is one of the seminal works in modern comics and should be on every serious comic fan’s shelf.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
I think Winick is kind of a douche, but he does well with “The Outsiders”.
Best, quote, EVER!!! Great review guys!! Joe, glad you finally decided to see how awesome McNiven's art is!!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
CanadianMachine
I am da law!

Great review guys, thks. I have to say Civil War was awesome!!!!
CanadianMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

IC#7 was great i've been following the whole thing from the begaining, and the seven part was great imo, only a few disapointments, i got really hyped when batman and deathstroke came to face eachother but they jumped to the end of the fight(real boomer), a big one was earth 2 superman, why? they should have kept him and given him the action comics title back, and no barry, wally? hopefully this 3 will be adressed in the future somehow, can't deny alot of changes in the dc universe(they delivered what was promised), a great read for me, and the art was amaizing troughout the whole series, after reading this book it actually put me in a great mood.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

Not sure I will do any reviews this week. this sinus infections is just killing me.

Maybe late tonight, but I'm ususually wiped out by the time I get home from work.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

As far as reviews

1) Infinite Crisis was great, but still left you wanting more. If only some parts were more developed. But I can't argue, the green lantern corp fighting superboy, alex's come-uppance, and the resolution w/ superboy were very satisfying. It just went so fast.

And I loved the pages with the resolution to batman, superman, and wonder woman, as well as that heroes splash page. IT was fun looking at everyone and seeing some faces you didn't expect, or that look different.

2)Civil war. Loved it, but it had some problems. I think the scenes with cap were top notch. But I still don't buy everyone turning on johny storm that easily. I thought everyone loved the FF.

My biggest problem with Civil War is that I'm already spending so much due to Annihilation and OYL. I don't think I can afford to put all these titles on my list too. And with HOM's satelite titles sucking so badly, not sure I even want to try.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Eye of Agamotto
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Great reviews guys, WKTF, I'm getting on the Civil War wagon, picking up an issue today based on your recomendation. Sam, very concise review of one very complex, layered series which is Watchmen, less is more and you prove yourself, as well as WKTF, master comic literates.
Eye of Agamotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
As far as reviews

1) Infinite Crisis was great, but still left you wanting more. If only some parts were more developed. But I can't argue, the green lantern corp fighting superboy, alex's come-uppance, and the resolution w/ superboy were very satisfying. It just went so fast.

And I loved the pages with the resolution to batman, superman, and wonder woman, as well as that heroes splash page. IT was fun looking at everyone and seeing some faces you didn't expect, or that look different.
i think it should have been a ten part atleast.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Jesse321
Galactus

Great reviews as usual guys ... I also have to admit that I'm jumping on the Civil War series as well ... I'm not sure if I will get all the cross-over issues, but I'm definately going to give this series a fiar shot.

As to IC # 7, I thought it was probably the best issue of the series, loved the set ups for the coming 52 and OYL spots, as well as the potencial for more stories later. I gotta admit the ending with Alex, Joker and Lex just brought a smile to my face as well ... the bastard had it coming!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote