Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
starmanmm
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Sculpting... Can be Done by Anyone?

Seeing what others have done on this site has made me ask this question.... How do I know if I can do this?

I really don't know if I can squeeze two pieces of clay together... but if I knew how to sculpt at least half as good as what I have seen on this and other sites... I would be into doing my own.

I've never had the opportunity to sculpt so I don't even know if I have any potential.

So, how do you know if you can or have the ability to do this?

Take evening classes in sculpting? Learning the basics?

Or do you hook up with someone that teaches you the ropes?

Does a scupltor have to have certain traits like drawing or do some scupltor sculpt better than they draw?

Or is it simiply that either you have the talent or you don't?
starmanmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
iceprince_x
Deadman

In art.. it is both a skill and a talent. Meaning one can be born with the ability already and thats talent while others have to learn it and thus earn them the skill.

I believe sculpting is something like this. So if one can not do a proper sculpting at first... with enough practice he/she will eventually learn.

The best way to know if you can really do it is just DO IT!
Don't expect at first that you get it altogether... what is important is you did the first step.

Attending class will also help but in the end... its your passion and commitment to the craft.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
adee
Green Arrow

I think the best way to find out is to give it a shot.

Unless you are extremely artistically inclined the odds of you picking up a piece of clay and creating a masterpiece are slim.
Like anything else it takes practice. I'm sure there are incredible sculptors who don't draw as well but I would think for the most part
artists that sculpt well can also work in 2D. At least enough to sketch out ideas they want to translate.

Having someone teach you is never a bad thing. Taking a sculpting class can only help. There are also a lot of great sites out there including
this one that can also help a beginner.

I have always had some artistic ability and I have given sculpting a try. My advise would be to not be to hard on yourself and have fun with it.
It really isn't as easy as the talented folks on here make it seem. It takes a lot of time and patience. Obviously it varies based on how talented
the artist is but everyone had to start somewhere. If you are really that interested in trying it the best thing to do is go for it!

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you post your first attempt!
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceprince_x View Post
The best way to know if you can really do it is just DO IT!
Don't expect at first that you get it altogether... what is important is you did the first step.

Attending class will also help but in the end... its your passion and commitment to the craft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I think the best way to find out is to give it a shot.

Having someone teach you is never a bad thing. Taking a sculpting class can only help. There are also a lot of great sites out there including
this one that can also help a beginner.
If you are really that interested in trying it the best thing to do is go for it!

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you post your first attempt!
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
fflamingmoe

I was born into it.
I sculpted my first elephant wan i was 4 years old.
And sculpted with ice at age 8.
You wouldn't know unless you try.
fflamingmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Jesse321
Galactus

I would say that 95% of the sculptors that I've talked too have all been self taught ... and/or been given lessons by or encouragement from other sculptors.

In so far as art background goes, being able to draw does make certain things easier, because it gives you a sense of scale and anatomy. Sculpting (to me) is basically drawing in 3D, with whatever medium you choose to work in. That being said, no one is born with an inherit ability to draw or sculpt, true some learn it faster than others, but everyone has to learn. The one thing you have to be is observant, keen powers of observation will serve you more than any class. While you may not always know how to correct something, knowing when something looks wrong is more than half the battle.

There are some artists and sculptors that will use the excuse "well that's my style" ... and while stylized drawing or painting is fine ... stylized sculpting is a little more difficult to pull off, especially when you're not paying attention to proper proportion, and you use a you use "style" as an excuse.

My advice ... learn to do it right FIRST, then experiment with different styles to see what emerges.

You can learn to do anything you set your mind to ... don't make the mistake of letting anyone tell you otherwise.

If you want a REALLY great resource book ... get Tim Bruckner's book "Pop Sculpture", it's got a lot of great technique information regardless of the subject matter you choose to sculpt.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Sculpture-.../dp/0823095223

Now grab some clay, sculpty or wax and make something!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
starmanmm

Thanks all for the info.

I do want to give it a try and I am very clear to know that what I ever I make will be just that... a first time. It may not look like what I expect, but as long as it does not discourage me I should keep plugging along.

First, I think I want to take a class at the local college here... reason... just to get the basics and a better idea of what I'm doing.

Once again... thanks all for the info.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
ctuckr68
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmanmm View Post
Thanks all for the info.

I do want to give it a try and I am very clear to know that what I ever I make will be just that... a first time. It may not look like what I expect, but as long as it does not discourage me I should keep plugging along.

First, I think I want to take a class at the local college here... reason... just to get the basics and a better idea of what I'm doing.

Once again... thanks all for the info.

Classes will definitely help, but not necessary. I never studied sculpting, and learned most of what I know from the great people around this forum. It will be discouraging at times, more or less just depending on your skills. It's a part of the process though. I compare it to math. You have to practice it over and over for it to make sense and get the right answer. The same is true with sculpting IMO. I've only been sculpting a couple of years, but spent about 8 mo's on my first piece while learning with no experince. It was very frustrating at times...and still is at times. It's very fun, though, and quite addicting once your really get into it. You'll find a lot of support around the forum here to help you....good luck!
ctuckr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
starmanmm

Ok... what would you all recommend I should start off with?

A figure? Or is that just too complicated?

An animal?

Plant?