Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Garage Kits anyone?

Just want to put a feeler out here....anybody on board collect/build/paint garage kits? If so, what do you buy?

Me....I guess I like a little bit of everything. Super Heroes, ALIENS, Predators, modern horror, Classic monsters, Godzilla, but most of all I really enjoy original design work.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

I mostly buy the superhero pieces that are not made but also known for buying some cool looking ones such as batman.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoDaMan
Just want to put a feeler out here....anybody on board collect/build/paint garage kits? If so, what do you buy?

Me....I guess I like a little bit of everything. Super Heroes, ALIENS, Predators, modern horror, Classic monsters, Godzilla, but most of all I really enjoy original design work.
A number of years back I took an interest in the hobby and I started buying kits. I put together a nice collection of all types, including some really nice Japanese kits. At the time I had every intention of building and painting them and went so far as to purchase everything necessary to do it. I wish I could have purchased the skill necessary but alas that can't be bought. I never got around to it and in the end I would surely have sucked at it. At least I was smart enough to realize this before I ruined any of my kits. You probably know that some of these kits are just too expensive to practice on. CKinSD has a whole mess of images I sent him and some of his buddies have bought a few of the kits. I'll be putting most of my kits up for sale at some point in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. One kit I will not part with is my Volks Sorayama Cutey Honey 1/4 scale. I love that piece to death and someday I'm going to get someone to build her for me. Jerry Buchanan did a gorgeous build up of her that was featured in a Modeler's Resource article a few years back. That's how I picture mine someday.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey Zurb,

I remember the list (Charles had forwarded it on to me). LOL! You may remember Charles mentioning me to you about painting the Cutey Honey, LOL! My name is Dan Cope, most people just call me Danno and you can see some samples of what I have painted in the past at my site (in my signature).

I hope that you give painting/building another shot. I believe all people have the skills to do it...time is a completely different story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-17-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Hey Danno:

Yes of course I remember. When I saw the handle I thought that it might be you and figured you would ID yourself if you wanted to. Good to see you here. I've been to you're site. You do great work and you're modest. Folks we got us a heavyweight here. Dan is one of the top guys in the GK field. I'd be thrilled if you would build and paint Cutey for me. PM me and we can talk about it.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:56 PM   #6
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

I collect and build kits. I have recently bought quite a few of them.

Moonsinger
Netherworld's Marilyn Manson
Hard Heroes Red Sonja and King Kull
Warrior's Confederate Vampire
Devil's Own Resin:
Consumption
Meltdown
Thanos
Heir to Atlantis
Formation Designs:
Both Wolvie busts
Commando
I also got a Morphess and Bowen Decapitator off Zubaran.

Hey Danno, i post on the clubhouse forums too as useful idiot. I took your advice for the five o' click shadow for my Wolvie bust and I used eyeshadow. That stuff works great and makes it look convincing.
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey Zurb,

Thanks much for your very kind words. "heavyweight" ??? LOL! Yeah, I need to go on a diet....since I live in Wisconsin...I eat too much cheese and sausage, LOL!

Hey John,

I'm so glad that tip worked out for you. You have got to post some pics when you get a chance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #8
bigjohn550
Sailor Moon

I sure will. I am just waiting on some Alclad for the claws.
bigjohn550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 AM   #9
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Thumbs up

Danno,
Your paint job is amazing. It has like a spray painted feel to it. Well, at least I think it does. I don't have any artistic talent but I love the art which is what got me started in this industry anyways.
Don't know if you know Joel Nelson. He paints the Transformers busts. He's painted a few personal pieces for me as well. I've become friends with some sculptors such as Tony Cipriano, Clay Moore and Mat Falls (Sideshow) but never had the chance to see the work of the painters.
Glad to see you and your work around. Hope you plan on selling some pieces (Doom and Green Lantern for starters!)
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #10
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey Drod,

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate that.

I'm not familiar with Joel Nelson or Mat Falls, But I would love to see their stuff.

Tony Cipriano and Clay Moore, I am very familar with their work. Great stuff!!!!

LOL! As for selling pieces, sometimes I let some things go here and there. Depending on what room I have left on my shelves and such. But I have like 300 unfinished Garage kits laying around and my plan is to paint them all....someday. So...you never know what needs to go to make room for a freshly painted piece.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]