Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #27181
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) - A dark force threatens Alpha, a vast metropolis and home to species from a thousand planets. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.

Nothing too deep here, just an average science-fiction story backed by a barrage of special effects. 5/10
Gorgeous movie but the Lead actors were bloody horrible choices. And Rhianna should never be in a movie.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:51 AM   #27182
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Gorgeous movie but the Lead actors were bloody horrible choices. And Rhianna should never be in a movie.

I guess I'm alone in liking this movie Although even I agree about the main cast. I don't think there were as terrible as some say, but having two leads with the same dry delivery didn't help. Better casting decisions probably could have improved this one a fair amount.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #27183
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I just re-watched the LOTR Extended Edition films on the new 4K discs that were recently released. Still my favorite movie trilogy of all time, and these new editions make them even more breathtaking than ever.

Fellowship of the Ring 10/10
The Two Towers 9/10
Return of the King 10/10
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #27184
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I guess I'm alone in liking this movie Although even I agree about the main cast. I don't think there were as terrible as some say, but having two leads with the same dry delivery didn't help. Better casting decisions probably could have improved this one a fair amount.
I am willing to bet good money we would have got a franchise if it wasn’t for the bad casting.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #27185
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I am willing to bet good money we would have got a franchise if it wasn’t for the bad casting.
Yeah, I wouldn't bet against you. A shame really. The opening scene is awesome at any rate I think you'll agree.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #27186
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

So I decided to re-watch all the DC Universe films since Wonder Woman 84 is coming out on Christmas Day, just because. I haven't watched some of these in a while and figured I'd both treat and torture myself. I did not include Joker in this though as I don't consider it part of the rest of these films and honestly don't consider it a comic book film in anything but name. So with all that said, here we go.

Wonder Woman - 8/10 - This film has a good message. The dialogue fits well with the story it's telling. It also fits into WW1 time period better than I could have imagined. The only reason I gave it an 8 and not higher is because the visuals were less than stellar in some places and the third act climax doesn't quite stick the landing in all the places it could have.

Shazam - 8/10 - Just a brilliantly told story from the perspective a kid gaining powers. Mark Strong is excellent. The visuals are good. I think I rank this at an 8 because I felt that underlying themes just don't have that punch they could have and the film instead focus' on the comedy aspect, which isn't bad but I think more emotional punch would have driven up the score.

Man of Steel - 7.5/10 - This is the best of the Zach Snyder films. While I think Snyder and Goyer give great action sequences and the plot on this film is actually very well written it's the character tones they ultimately fail at. There are several choices made in the film when it comes to characterization that just don't hold water for me and it comes off feeling overly cynical and dour, two things you generally would never associate with Superman.

Aquaman - 7.5/10 - Everything I said about Man of Steel also applies to Aquaman. The film is well written when it comes to plot. The Action is intense. The Villains are great, I love Orm and Black Manta. However the characterization, especially the dialogue is just forced in places. I also really dislike the Arthur being portrayed as such a fool in places, it just feels off.

Justice League - 5/10 - This film is a mess. You can literally tell that it's plot and characterizations were course corrected, and the only one that feels genuine is Superman. Wonder Woman, takes a back seat to other characters who aren't even fleshed out. Barry Allen feels like a joke, and anyone who's ever read a Flash comic knows Barry was never a joke. I could go on for days, but what's the point.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition - 5/10 - Holy long title Batman. While the Ultimate Edition does give a little more detail to the plot of the film it does not begin to correct the mistakes here. While watching this film you are expected to think both Superman and Batman are woefully stupid, and that the latter is morally bankrupt and unable to untangle a mystery...the worlds greatest detective...yep. What you get is Zach Synder's version of these characters, I won't even go into Luthor, and they miss the mark by a wide margin.

Suicide Squad - 3/10 - Wow...just...How did this film get a $175mil budget? The plot starts off as seemingly well intentioned but then just dives off a cliff. The characterizations are barely touched on and feel hollow, half the characters from start to finish we learn nothing about. We don't even have a good reason as to why these people were chosen except, "they're the worst of the worst". As far as comic films go this is close to one of the worst I've ever seen, except...

Birds of Prey - 1/10 - Everything bad I've said about plot, themes, characterization and story in these other films all take place in this film. This film, and I use the term loosely, probably disappoints me more than a lot of others considered the worst because it has one of my favorite characters in it and they basically drove a train over her characterization and then pissed on it. I'll never watch this film again.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #27187
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I have not seen Birds of Prey, basically the reviews on here have scared me away from it. After your review, Josh, and a couple others, I doubt I’ll ever watch it. Same thing with Suicide Squad. Never watched it, and probably never will.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #27188
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
I have not seen Birds of Prey, basically the reviews on here have scared me away from it. After your review, Josh, and a couple others, I doubt I’ll ever watch it. Same thing with Suicide Squad. Never watched it, and probably never will.
Suicide squad is straight trash by a 1 hit wonder director. Leto’s self indulgent potrayal of the Joker is one of the movies biggest disappointment’s . The movie reeks of Boardroom interference, men in suits trying to make a movie based on surveys and focus groups. The movie was actually edited by the Marketing team that made the trailer with all the hit songs that to try to take advantage of your nostalgia. Where music was skillfully used in GOTG this movie dumped a whole bunch of 80’s hits in the first 15 minutes. Will Smith is Will Smith in the movie. YAWN. The rest of the cast are dull as hell, killer Croc was pathetic Margot Robbie was the only redeeming thing about the movie as I think she nailed the character. But the movie on the whole is a repulsive pile of garbage made by a bunch of corporate hacks .

Birds of Prey was more palatable IMHO , but was oddly boring and annoying at times. There is only so much of Harley someone can take.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #27189
statman
Baron Zemo

Kung Fu Hustle - 7/10

Ridiculous, but a lot of fun.

Ava - 4/10
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #27190
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
Well you shouldn't really go by that because I liked Birds of Prey a lot. We all have different opinions and you actually may enjoy it. For example, he put Shazam at 8/10 and I hated that movie with a passion and will never watch that again. Maybe give it a try....
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote