dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #84
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Damn, sorry you gotta wait
Yeah man the fee's don't bother me it's the wait. This is why i hate having stuff shipped USPS, need to have stuff sent with Fedex.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #85
dao2
Cyclops

Fedex international can be very expensive if you don't get heavily discounted ><
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #86
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

HCG did sort me out so the charges are very minimal, so I'm super happy with that!

Pics tomorrow!!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #87
dao2
Cyclops

nice! looking forward to em
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #88
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Just unboxed him so will do some impressions first then some pics later.

So he comes in 8 pieces those being - the large Axe, the Clerics Head, the body, the base, the mace hand, his cape/shoulder armour, a small peg and the acore head for the EX. Also if you have the EX it comes with a very nice print!

The small peg is part of his left hand gauntlet. HCG have handled the swapping of the mace and Acore head in an unusual way, instead of using a magnet to hold it in, the piece you slot in has a hole at the connecting part and then you push the peg though the gaunlet and through the piece itself.

I'll show you on the pictures later but I've never encountered this before. The connection holds but the piece does move if touched.

Sculpt - Sculpt on the actual cleric, his weapons and the Acore head all fabulous really detailed. When i first pulled his cape out i thought, god no this looks awful, as it was just so straight and lifeless, but actually once it's on it looks great

The base is just plain textured rock which is fine but i feel it needed some debri or maybe something from Acore he killed the wings? Just something to give a little more. Over all really good sculpt the base leaves something to be desired but does the job.

Paints - The body of the Cleric, his face and weapons all look great, the details all pop the metal has a good worn look and the cloth pieces look dusty and grimey, really the paints aren't bad at all.

Again it's the base that's letting it down, the colour they went for is a orangey/brown but the application isn't good at all, it's just one colour no shading, it comes off looking plasticy and flat, honestly when the Cleric is on the base it looks OK because the focus is on the Cleric but on it's own it does look pretty shockingly poor. They should have gone for a darker red like on the promo shots.

The Acore head also is just a little dull in colour and needs a little more detail, a lot of the cracks weren't painted in like on the promo images so you get this wash of gold with not much else.

The head of the mace hand also suffers the same problem, it's a flat grey with no metallic's or shading.

The base, mace and Acore head i think i'm gonna take the paint brush to, it reminds me of the QS Conan the Brutal, everything was ok it was just missing those final details to make it pop and i think i can add them.

I will get some pics in an hour or so of it before i do anything to it and will then update once i paint it.

1 Last thing, it weighs a ton if you care about that and is actually 26" tall not 22" as listed lol, he won't fit in my besta without me adjusting the shelf so that's why pics will be later. I originally planned to put him in a detolf but i have no idea if he'll fit now also i would have preferred him to be much lighter for the detolf lol. I'll report back on the detolf dilemma later!

These are all first impressions and like anything you get used to things and they grow on you. I can say right off i really like him, he's got a huge presence just because of his size, the design is so unique and yet i think he'll fit in any fantasy collection no problem, I just think he's really cool and i do hope Alterton continues to do more!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #89
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Ok the peg for the switch out may be the stupidest thing to ever grace a statue.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #90
alterton
Sculptor
Sculptor

D! Great man, thanks for taking the time to review the Cleric. You rock... and talking about rock: the rocky base: not to excuse myself but it has a porpouse, as the battles the Hunters (Cleric for example) against the Acores and their breed are fought at The Passage of Sorrow, picture it as a Martian Great Canyon, LOL... if you take a look to the test illustrations I am doing for the book here https://www.artstation.com/artist/alterton you might see a patern! Anyway, love your description and review, thank you...now show us some pics!!!!!
alterton is offline   Reply With Quote