Statue Forum 





Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2022, 02:34 AM   #461
Phoenixblazes
Zot
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
Exactly. I've learned to enjoy looking at reviewers videos, but learned not to take it to heart their opinions, as sometimes, I definitely detect bias.
When it comes to statues they collect, its 10 out 10 guys!!!! Its perfect guys!
And then on JND, its a meh, the likeness is weak.

The one I always think is funny is when people say Anne Hathaway catwoman looks like it has a droopy face. lol. C'mon. If I had a lot of money to burn, I would love...LOVE to own that piece. I think its a beautiful statue.

But I have to be picky on what I choose to get.

As far as silicone, I can personally attest to their longetivity.
I have a 1/6 Heath Ledger Joker that's made with silicone, glass eyes, and punched in hair, and its over a decade old and it still looks like the same as when I first got it.
Also, on the youtube show, collectors enabled...on one episode, they wanted to put to bed the whole silicone thing, so they consulted with someone who personally works on these medical grade silicone, and they confirmed that it should last 30-40 years.
I personally really don't like how their Selina Kyle looks in videos and photos (but it's supposedly perfect in hand). I don't see the issue with having critiques on any piece, as long as it's balanced; but it's obvious that the more expensive something is, the more picky a person is going to be.


I preorder most of Queens silicone busts (which are even more expensive), and they can get picked apart at times, and for some reason I rarely ever see for those pieces the argument that, the negative comments are only coming from people who can't afford them, or along those lines; at least, not nearly as much as I see in JND threads. I guess maybe busts in general are a more niche item.


Of course bias is going to exist. The most biased YouTuber I've ever seen by a country mile is Justin. As much as others have their issues, he sometimes has made the most idiotic comments to forgive a particular manufacturer. He's got to be the number one, where most say they watch his videos on mute.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:09 AM   #462
Silas Loki
Teen Titans
 
Silas Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
...on one episode, they wanted to put to bed the whole silicone thing, so they consulted with someone who personally works on these medical grade silicone, and they confirmed that it should last 30-40 years.
Honestly....I think with the right care (meaning, the statue is kept in an enclosed case, out of direct sun, in a reasonable temperature) - you'll get a lot more than 30 - 40 years.....hopefully let's see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I personally really don't like how their Selina Kyle looks in videos and photos (but it's supposedly perfect in hand). I don't see the issue with having critiques on any piece, as long as it's balanced; but it's obvious that the more expensive something is, the more picky a person is going to be.

I preorder most of Queens silicone busts (which are even more expensive), and they can get picked apart at times, and for some reason I rarely ever see for those pieces the argument that, the negative comments are only coming from people who can't afford them, or along those lines; at least, not nearly as much as I see in JND threads. I guess maybe busts in general are a more niche item.

Of course bias is going to exist. The most biased YouTuber I've ever seen by a country mile is Justin. As much as others have their issues, he sometimes has made the most idiotic comments to forgive a particular manufacturer. He's got to be the number one, where most say they watch his videos on mute.
Absolutely true - don't misunderstand stand me it's not about trying to silence criticism or wish away bias - I'm just saying that when I detect these things - I personally choose to switch off. People think WWJL lips are too big - switch off, I disagree. People think Catwoman has a droopy face - switch off, I disagre......etc etc.

In the past (and I'm still tempted to do so) I might have tried to offer a counter perspective, or challenged a clear bias - but it's just not worth it. People see what they see, think what they think.....in the end we (mostly) buy these statues for our private collections, so really, does it matter what anyone else thinks?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:50 AM   #463
generalszabo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
it's not about trying to silence criticism or wish away bias - I'm just saying that when I detect these things - I personally choose to switch off. People think WWJL lips are too big - switch off, I disagree. People think Catwoman has a droopy face - switch off, I disagre......etc etc.

In the past (and I'm still tempted to do so) I might have tried to offer a counter perspective, or challenged a clear bias - but it's just not worth it. People see what they see, think what they think.....in the end we (mostly) buy these statues for our private collections, so really, does it matter what anyone else thinks?
It shouldn't, but when collectors drop this amount of cash on a piece, they inevitably feel like they need to defend any criticism, and some even take it personally. One reviewer who is almost always positive with his 'reviews' is BSC, but even he and others on his channel admit there's something up with JND's faces, and there are countless people saying the same on FB. If you don't see it though, as you say, it's your collection, and it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't share your opinion. I think it's important to have that discussion because this is a forum, and no piece is perfect. Even my favourite pieces have something that could be changed for the better, but that doesn't mean I don't love it and would never part with it
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:10 AM   #464
Silas Loki
Teen Titans
 
Silas Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
It shouldn't, but when collectors drop this amount of cash on a piece, they inevitably feel like they need to defend any criticism, and some even take it personally. One reviewer who is almost always positive with his 'reviews' is BSC, but even he and others on his channel admit there's something up with JND's faces, and there are countless people saying the same on FB. If you don't see it though, as you say, it's your collection, and it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't share your opinion. I think it's important to have that discussion because this is a forum, and no piece is perfect. Even my favourite pieces have something that could be changed for the better, but that doesn't mean I don't love it and would never part with it
Sure, that's one reason for the forum to exist - discussion. But I've never seen the likeness or quality debate resolved through discussion - and how can it be?

Personally, I think the forum would be a much better place if people avoided negatively criticising products. I'm not talking about any kind of censorship - I'm talking about people simply ignoring threads that contained something they don't like.

There's a risk that threads become Care Bear echo chambers of positivity - but is that really a bad thing? I mean, what does it add if someone bombs a thread with "I won't buy it because....", or "....it's rubbish because...." - who cares if some faceless person on the internet isn't going to buy a product? Instead, the threads could be places of anticipation, excitement, encouragement about a piece - discussions on display options, complementary pieces - etc. Rather than these pointless acidic debates that achieve nothing.

Maybe one exception would be if a producer genuinely requests feedback and criticism.....then, I guess there's a purpose to such discussion. But even here, I would still (self) restrict those threads for people who genuinely want the piece. If yo know you'll never buy the piece (for whatever reason) - then even if the producer is asking for criticism, yours would be useless as you won't buy anyway.

I'm trying (and failing) to live by those principles....but it's damn hard because we're encouraged to "share" our opinions, and most of us feel we have something to contribute - but is my opinion really so critically required that it needs to be shared? Probably not, and certainly not if it's only to spread negativity.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #465
redbloodedboy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 176
Stock at Sugo back up to 4 from 3….. wonder if someone cancelled an order?

Out of curiosity… is Sugo the only place left to be able to order this?
On the JND web site wait list.. there are over 100 people on it…. Strange they don’t just snap up the 4 that are available from Sugo?!
redbloodedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #466
ukshaun
Phoenix
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 12,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbloodedboy View Post
Stock at Sugo back up to 4 from 3?.. wonder if someone cancelled an order?

Out of curiosity? is Sugo the only place left to be able to order this?
On the JND web site wait list.. there are over 100 people on it?. Strange they don?t just snap up the 4 that are available from Sugo?!
Shhhhh!...
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 AM   #467
Phoenixblazes
Zot
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbloodedboy View Post
Stock at Sugo back up to 4 from 3?.. wonder if someone cancelled an order?

Out of curiosity? is Sugo the only place left to be able to order this?
On the JND web site wait list.. there are over 100 people on it?. Strange they don?t just snap up the 4 that are available from Sugo?!
Yeah I noticed that a few days ago.

Given the size of the deposit, I wonder if Sugo was willing to refund or transfer it.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #468
thenic123
Doh!
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbloodedboy View Post
Stock at Sugo back up to 4 from 3?.. wonder if someone cancelled an order?

Out of curiosity? is Sugo the only place left to be able to order this?
On the JND web site wait list.. there are over 100 people on it?. Strange they don?t just snap up the 4 that are available from Sugo?!
Please don't tell everyone as I'm still thinking of putting down the $2000aud deposit possibly.


Edit 14 Nov:
I watched a Art Statue Collector YT vid and it was at the recent Queen Studios/InArt Bangkok event. They were with QS John and there was a question about 1/2 scale WW and said there's going to be but they're working on DC licenses. He also mentioned a 1:1 life-size WW is also on the list as well as a Bale Batman life-size.
thenic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com