Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-20-2021, 10:57 PM   #161
Bottled_Water
Birdman

Favorite venom portrait is probably Sideshow's life size bust. I don't hate this one but the eyes and top of the head look strange.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:14 PM   #162
Biggunz
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
It's generic to me ...deal with it? Its ok to have different opinions on a forum
This is coming from someone who has Mr. Canale's two works (Venom Comiquette and 1st PF).
This one is by far the most uninteresting (and cartoony) face sculpt to me.

Its better than this one though....IMO of course

WELL GREAT!!!!!!

SIDESHOW HAS MANAGED TO MAKE THE RETARDEST LOOKING VENOM PORTRAIT IN THE HISTORY OF THEIR BUSINESS
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #163
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Here, I stole these off Facebook for you.

I gotta be honest ...I think this looks great! It looks great in these pics ...but even better in the booth tour video.

The texture on the symbiote suit is not my thing, but this looks better than the last one. That one looked wrinkly and weird. The texture on this one flows with the sculpt. It gives a sense of oozing or a sense of being a live suit.

Also I like the pose, proportions, portrait and anatomy on this one. It's sorta reminiscent of the Prime1 1/4 Venom. I like the proportions on this SSC version just a tad more than the P1 version tho.

I don't know man ...I'm liking this one.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:06 AM   #164
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Swing and miss. I don’t know how these same characters keep getting made. If you don’t have a venom in your collection by now you probably shouldn’t get one.
How do you figure this for other people? I want new characters but these repeats keep selling well enough I suppose.

Comiquette - before my time and I never liked it much
PF - I don’t like the texture, passed
XM - I tried to get it but it released when you had to have a connect, my connect promised his allotment to others so I missed out, I’m not paying aftermarket for it
P1 - contemplated it but ultimately it was just a different kind of Venom
New PF - it’s ok

And I still want and would get a 1/4 Venom if I like it.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:14 AM   #165
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
How do you figure this for other people? I want new characters but these repeats keep selling well enough I suppose.
I’m saying there are just so many options available with a vast array of representation. There are 2-4 venom pieces launched each year going all the way back to the Bowen days.

It wouldn’t bother me so much however it’s not just venom...iron man, wolverine, batman, harley, Catwoman, spidey...these character re-dos take very valuable production capacity.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #166
gomur
The Tick

Just finished watching the booth footage on Venom. I like the size and pose. The musculature is impressive - no surprise from Canale. I wonder if the body had a bit more gloss if it would pop more. Base is inspired. The portrait is okay, but it doesn't wow me.

But I definitely don't like the Peter Parker mask. Feels tacky IMO.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:38 AM   #167
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
I’m saying there are just so many options available with a vast array of representation. There are 2-4 venom pieces launched each year going all the way back to the Bowen days.

It wouldn’t bother me so much however it’s not just venom...iron man, wolverine, batman, harley, Catwoman, spidey...these character re-dos take very valuable production capacity.
Yes but if they don't sell Batman every two years and Harley every two years they don't risk Killer Croc or Scarecrow.

As for Spidey I have no idea why other villains aren't mixed in but hopefully it changes soon.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:21 AM   #168
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Just finished watching the booth footage on Venom. I like the size and pose. The musculature is impressive - no surprise from Canale. I wonder if the body had a bit more gloss if it would pop more. Base is inspired. The portrait is okay, but it doesn't wow me.

But I definitely don't like the Peter Parker mask. Feels tacky IMO.
Yup. Super tacky just like Batman's cape on Mr. Freeze's base.

Spidey and Venom are actually on good terms in the comics now (for quite a long time too).
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:28 AM   #169
Mr.Mxyzptlk
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I gotta be honest ...I think this looks great! It looks great in these pics ...but even better in the booth tour video.

The texture on the symbiote suit is not my thing, but this looks better than the last one. That one looked wrinkly and weird. The texture on this one flows with the sculpt. It gives a sense of oozing or a sense of being a live suit.

Also I like the pose, proportions, portrait and anatomy on this one. It's sorta reminiscent of the Prime1 1/4 Venom. I like the proportions on this SSC version just a tad more than the P1 version tho.

I don't know man ...I'm liking this one.
100% agree with every word you said!!!
Mr.Mxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:48 AM   #170
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:

I see what you’re saying, it’s not wrong. My perspective is just different.

Sticking with Venom, when you say 2-4 every year, yeah, but they’re different formats, too. A vast array of representation is needed for different types of collectors. It’s not valid to say don’t make a 1/4 Venom because they’ve already had 4 of him in other scales in the past year. Speaking for myself, the PCS 1/3, Sideshow VS dio, etc, I could care less about, those are formats I’m not interested in, but show a 1/4 and I’m interested. The same and opposite apply to other collectors as well.

I see Iron Man on your list…kinda the same. I could care less about all of the movie Maquettes and 1/5 scale statues they make, but I’d love for SS to make a new comic based PF or Maquette. I see people say all the time there’s tons of Iron Man, but for me they aren’t options because there’s no new comic based 1/4. How many people wanted that Extremis II statue to be 1/4? I recall a lot, so they didn’t buy it (although it seemed to sell well regardless). Just an example.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote