Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > IT Department

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Apple Care Warranty Worth every penny!

Ok so begining of 2009 i bought a new MacPro, my old G4 died on me and i needed something for graphic work.

So the 2008 models where cheap by then and i got myself a Quad Core 2.8 macPro. Apple care warranty was like $300 on top of what i paid for the mac.

Few weeks ago my Mac wasnt starting up normally anymore and came to the point it wouldnt start at all. So i called up apple, went thru everything on my end of trying to fix it, taking out ram, HDs, etc.... So i made a appointment to hit the apple store with my MacPro.

Went in, waited for my turn, told the guy what was wrong. he took it into the back room, ran a test came out and told me hes got good and bad news. Motherboard and Proccesors were shot, good news is apple care covered it. $2000 to fix it and i dont have to spend a dime.

Before this happened i upgraded to a new vid card, so my old was was all dusty and was used. So i brought that into the apple store, told them it was faulty, no questions asked, they took it back and replaced it for free and i sold it on ebay. Made some money back for the better vid card i bought.

and before that the hard drive that came with the mac was a Maxtor, and i hate these drives cause they always crap out. So when i got the macpro i bought a seagate and used the maxtor as a windows HD. Few times runing the maxtor drive it died. Brought it into the apple store and replaced without question.

So if you guys ever buy a mac, snag the apple care well worth it. Standing at apple stores and watching people bring in broken items, the employes always walk into the back room, bring out a new item and people walk out with new stuff with no hassle. Guess its better to replace the items new then fix them while customers wait weeks.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Closetnerd
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I was just thinking about getting this for my new Mac mini I bought in December. Thanks for the nudge to make me get it!! $139 and no tax at the Navy exchange and it would have been $162 through Apple.
Closetnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetnerd View Post
I was just thinking about getting this for my new Mac mini I bought in December. Thanks for the nudge to make me get it!! $139 and no tax at the Navy exchange and it would have been $162 through Apple.
its worth it, never know when and if something may happen.

I dont bother with the small items but big purchases its worth it.

I seen people walk in with nanos that were dead and walk out with brand new ones in like 5min due to having a warranty.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
twinzs
anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home

I've dealt with a few stores/companies over their warranties and the only company that I felt lived up to their side of the deal was apple with an ipod I had. The ipod was even 3 weeks out of warranty and they still honored it. I wouldn't suggest paying extra for anyone's warranty other than apple's.
twinzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
J Storm
Birdman

I have it on my iPhone but it's worked fine since I got it back in '09
J Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I get it on everything, but knock on wood nothing has had problems yet... gotten it for iPod, iPhone, Airport Extreme, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini...
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Taking my MAC Pro tomorrow to my local Apple store for repair. Damn thing is constantly freezing & locking up on me. So glad I bought the warranty!
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Got my mac pro back this past weekend and its running like its brand new! New motherboard and processors were installed.

They also found out a issue with my 3rd party ram i got from OWC. Computer wouldnt boot up with that ram in it. Good thing i kept all my papers from when i bought the ram, returned it to OWC for a free replacement.