Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-29-2021, 12:44 AM   #351
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
I can see your point BUT they are at least showing new items for the most part. At least it gives you some idea of what to plan for (even though I know the lead times are long).

Even a long Prime 1 Next Level show is only 2 hours compared to the week of drivel SSC puts out...with barely any reveals.
Yeah, but the point of the week of Spooktacular has always been about giveaways and stuff like that. Spook has never really been about reveals, it's about giving to the fans. Even in the earliest memories I have of this week back to 2009 they might have revealed 1 or 2 items and that was it.

As for Prime1, they can cut that down to about 45mins and still have a great showing.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:26 AM   #352
darren1228
Zot

Josh to Sideshow’s defense yet again…surprise
I think it’s clear as day that Sideshow is changing they way they are running things. Instead of making and promoting their own products they are relying on other brands to make the product. I don’t see how anyone can not see that after SDCC, NYCC, and Spooktacular. Heck have they even put up a statue for preorder these past few weeks?

Sideshow is no longer the company that started our journey in geek collectibles…
Yeah I’ll take Prime1’s event over all of Sideshow’s combined
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:35 AM   #353
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Sideshow F-
Prime 1 A+
I'm not one to pit these companies against each other because I just want nice pieces, but this is absolutely undeniable.

I have my issues with Prime 1, but it seems like they're constantly pushing their own limits, pedal to the floor, looking to excite their customers. There's real energy and inspiration there to make crazy s--t.

It feels like Sideshow's energy is focused on pumping their social media presence and cementing their place as the top collectibles distributor in the world. Which makes sense, but does absolutely nothing for me.

I can't care about free points when I'm struggling to find stuff to spend my money on.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:45 AM   #354
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Heck have they even put up a statue for preorder these past few weeks?
Red Riding Hood and the Alice in Wonderland color variant 3 weeks ago during NYCC. The Crow PF 5 weeks ago. There might have been others.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:22 AM   #355
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Josh to Sideshow’s defense yet again…surprise
I think it’s clear as day that Sideshow is changing they way they are running things. Instead of making and promoting their own products they are relying on other brands to make the product. I don’t see how anyone can not see that after SDCC, NYCC, and Spooktacular. Heck have they even put up a statue for preorder these past few weeks?

Sideshow is no longer the company that started our journey in geek collectibles…
Yeah I’ll take Prime1’s event over all of Sideshow’s combined
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Red Riding Hood and the Alice in Wonderland color variant 3 weeks ago during NYCC. The Crow PF 5 weeks ago. There might have been others.

Yep, in the last 6 weeks it's:
Catwoman
The Crow
General Grevious
Red Riding Hood
Alice In Wonderland Variant

I'm still waiting on the new Kylo Ren.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:38 AM   #356
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
We used to get 1-2 statues (or 1/6 figures) weekly. It’s pretty clear that they’ve cut down on producing SS products and that their attention is elsewhere right now. Heck have we heard from their superstar talents (Daniel Bel, Will Harbottle) recently?

Can’t say I’m blaming them with the pandemic causing havoc with shipping (def less buyers). So maybe they are pivoting to survive in this climate? Hoping that this is only temporary because I’m a definite fanboy and it is worrying swing SS like this.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:58 AM   #357
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
We used to get 1-2 statues (or 1/6 figures) weekly. It’s pretty clear that they’ve cut down on producing SS products and that their attention is elsewhere right now. Heck have we heard from their superstar talents (Daniel Bel, Will Harbottle) recently?

Can’t say I’m blaming them with the pandemic causing havoc with shipping (def less buyers). So maybe they are pivoting to survive in this climate? Hoping that this is only temporary because I’m a definite fanboy and it is worrying swing SS like this.
Well I said this previously too, they've diversified they're catalogue into smaller, less expensive items too.

Unruly Industries is their Vinyl toy brand and they make a ton of those. They've also started making more 1/6th scales of their own, like all the horror ones we saw today and the crow 1/6th scale.

The 1/7th scale BTS statues and Critical Roll Statues are cheaper to make and sell.

I'm thinking the 1/4 scale market isn't as much as it once was with prices going up and people being priced out or stopping for various other reasons.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:09 AM   #358
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Heck have we heard from their superstar talents (Daniel Bel, Will Harbottle) recently?
Harbottle did the Rey PF that was shown at online SDCC. He also did the portrait on the Storm PF. Bel did Dr. Doom and Carnage.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:20 AM   #359
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Well I said this previously too, they've diversified they're catalogue into smaller, less expensive items too.

Unruly Industries is their Vinyl toy brand and they make a ton of those. They've also started making more 1/6th scales of their own, like all the horror ones we saw today and the crow 1/6th scale.

The 1/7th scale BTS statues and Critical Roll Statues are cheaper to make and sell.

I'm thinking the 1/4 scale market isn't as much as it once was with prices going up and people being priced out or stopping for various other reasons.
Yes so they’ve diversified to making non-statue items. And you know what will happen? Statue collectors aren’t going to be happy about it (last I checked this place is still a statue collecting community).

How is the reasoning of diversification going to appease status collectors? You still see new companies popping up (Queen Studios, Infinity Studios…) and it looks like Sideshow is running away with their tail between their legs. Sure I can understand why with the pandemic but doesn’t mean that I like it.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:28 AM   #360
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Harbottle did the Rey PF that was shown at online SDCC. He also did the portrait on the Storm PF. Bel did Dr. Doom and Carnage.
Sure…but did it create any big excitement? Everything is so lackluster now. Esp when you see what the other companies are doing.

Heck when was the last time Sideshow showed us a non-rehash piece that excited you? For me…it might be the Juggernaut maquette from nearly 3 years ago.