Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-02-2022, 08:09 PM   #71
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
And that's one reason why it's pretty disappointing to me that he's the big bad.
i fully agree, him being the main antagonist is beyond underwhelming. when he was walking around the Upside-down and saw the Demos and stuff i was happy that it was just a world created on the spot, then he found the cloud and i was hoping it was just going to fly into him and explain why he has as much power there as he does....but nope, just a cloud he shaped into a spider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Was that Conan's Atlantean sword? I was like "What?"
it did seem like it came out of nowhere, but then i remembered the weapons locker they let the prisoners use.
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #72
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i fully agree, him being the main antagonist is beyond underwhelming. when he was walking around the Upside-down and saw the Demos and stuff i was happy that it was just a world created on the spot, then he found the cloud and i was hoping it was just going to fly into him and explain why he has as much power there as he does....but nope, just a cloud he shaped into a spider.
Just rewatched some of the last ep, skipping the slow parts (which is most of it, btw).

(Tangent - reviews talked about how the last two eps were "never a dull moment in those jam-packed four hours", "guaranteed to give fans everything they want and a whole lot more"... and that's a head-scratcher for me. Ep 8 was mostly still just 'set-up', despite the prior 7 eps being mostly 'set-up', and so was the first half of 9. I never make the claim that reviewers are paid-off, but I felt like I was watching a different vol 2...)

Back to the Mind Flayer - Vecna says he found something "that would change everything". "A means to realize my potential." "Transcend my human form". "Become the predator I was always born to be"

Sorry... how exactly is that not gibberish just invented to cover for the fact the Duffers decided to conflate Vecna and the Mind Flayer? How does controlling a smoke cloud enable him to do any of that, and how does it let him do anything he wasn't already capable of? Seems like no more than a simple guise to me. ??
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:19 PM   #73
MrYac
Hercules

that is why i really wish the cloud would've gone to him instead of what we saw, let the mindflayer merge with Vecna giving him his power but still being dependent on the Flayer instead of whatever it is we just saw.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:51 PM   #74
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Definitely a better idea, I agree. Could actually still be true, as the scene was vague enough to expand upon.

Just read this guy's take:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...h=3c5c9c5458a5

A LOT of the issues I had, some I've already stated. Some I disagree with (like Vecna being a more compelling big bad (guess he never heard of Lovecraft, a pillar of scifi/horror storytelling)) and some he got wrong (protective collar didn't inhibit powers, just delivered punishment).
Old 07-03-2022, 12:23 AM   #75
MrYac
Hercules

he makes some good points, i did think the collar would have some significance in the final fight though, El slapping it on Vecna to symbolize she's always been more in control then he or something.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:56 AM   #76
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I just want to state again - I really like this show. Like the Forbes author, I'm critical, but there's really nothing that captures my severe nostalgia for the 80s like this show. So I agree there, Josh.

I'm sure I'll be pretty depressed once it's over.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:47 AM   #77
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Best two scenes for me were definitely Eddie playing the guitar and Eddie fighting the bat things.

Epic character!
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #78
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I just want to state again - I really like this show. Like the Forbes author, I'm critical, but there's really nothing that captures my severe nostalgia for the 80s like this show. So I agree there, Josh.

I'm sure I'll be pretty depressed once it's over.
Netflix needs to put out a Collectors edition box set of the series once it's over. I'd buy it in a second as long as season 5 does completely jump the shark.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:18 AM   #79
MrYac
Hercules

another random thing that has been bugging me, but how did they get out of the Upside-Down after the Earthquakes? it doesn't really seem like any of the portals they used would still be accessible to them.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:42 AM   #80
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
another random thing that has been bugging me, but how did they get out of the Upside-Down after the Earthquakes? it doesn't really seem like any of the portals they used would still be accessible to them.
If anything more portals would be accessible to them. Those ridged divides are basically larger versions of the portals with the membranes over them.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote