Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

View Poll Results: Who wins? Vader or Maul?
Vader all the way! 30 50.00%
Maul chops Vader in half and throws him down a deep hole. 9 15.00%
There is no fight. Vader just chokes Maul until he dies. 12 20.00%
They decide to team up, kill the emperor, and rule the empire together. 9 15.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #81
MrYac
Hercules

well how often does a Jedi vs. jedi battle really come down to force play more then saber combat? and even more so when it does theres usually more tricks used then what i think either Vader or Maul is capable of (lighting for example) so i think this battle would be fought with blades more then the force
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #82
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
well how often does a Jedi vs. jedi battle really come down to force play more then saber combat? and even more so when it does theres usually more tricks used then what i think either Vader or Maul is capable of (lighting for example) so i think this battle would be fought with blades more then the force
I think it comes in a lot; many of the fights have used force push and TK sorts of attacks. Because of the limits of SFX, this doesn't come through a lot in the OT (though you see some of it when Vader fights Luke on Bespin), but more in the prequels, and even more than that in the Clone Wars cartoon.

Like I said, Maul is faster. That much seems clear. But Vader is definitely stronger, and has a lot more experience with fighting in general. Maul strikes me as a Sith who's devoted himself completely to battle, and while that makes him tough, it perhaps leaves him more vulnerable to other forms of attack. Vader took out scores of Jedi who were by then fighting for their lives. Maul might be tough, but no tougher than many of the Jedi that Vader beat. Vader is well established as one of the most powerful Jedi who ever lived, who became one of the most powerful Sith Lords. Maul, not so much.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #83
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Vader: At one with the Force, along with Yoda and Obi Wan.

Maul: Chopped in half and flopping down a seemingly bottomless chasm for all eternity.

One is definitely > the other.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #84
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Vader: At one with the Force, along with Yoda and Obi Wan.

Maul: Chopped in half and flopping down a seemingly bottomless chasm for all eternity.

One is definitely > the other.
i always thought Vaders "redemption" to be BS as well, a lifetime of evil billions killed including innocent children that trusted him, and 1 half assed good deed of killing an old man and he gets a free pass to Jedi heaven.....hardly seems balanced to me
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #85
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
i always thought Vaders "redemption" to be BS as well, a lifetime of evil billions killed including innocent children that trusted him, and 1 half assed good deed of killing an old man and he gets a free pass to Jedi heaven.....hardly seems balanced to me
You DARE question THE FORCE???!?!?!!? May Ewoks invade your most private spaces and wiggle!

rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #86
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't seem quite fair. Still, the concept of absolution is pretty common; no matter what sins you commit, you can always be forgiven.

And for less than destroying an evil Emperor and ending his reign of terror, too: look at the Catholic idea of plenary indulgence. Or the idea of being born-again--there's a reason why this happens a lot in prisons, after all. Since all is forgiven when you repent, even those who have committed horrible crimes can still live a relatively guilt-free life.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #87
michaelgloch
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

personally, I don't think we've ever actually seen Vader (as in breathy black robed cyborg Vader) show off all of his skill in combat.
In some books he's supposed to have a collection of elite dueling droids, but never uses them because they can't survive against him and are too expensive to replace-so he uses cheaper droids augmented with a bunch of extra systems to make them worth while practise but cheap enough that they can be easily replaced.
Also, in the movies you only ever see him fight two people he cared for on some level-his old master and his son. Given that he rebelled and killed the emperor in the end, I can't help but wonder if Vader wasn't going all out because he didn't want to kill Obi-wan or Luke on an unconcious level at least.
This is the same guy who force-strangled his commanding officers on a regular basis-if I were Vader and wanted to kill someone but couldn't move very well I'd use the force to stick them against a wall and then impale them or I'd just crush their windpipe and watch them strangle.
Just figure him not wanting to kill his two main opponents in the movies was the reason he didn't look like he was really doing anything. Thoughts anyone?
michaelgloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #88
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote