Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #371
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Mine has arrived, but i won't open it for a while. I'm super lucky that my edition number is 007. (:

007, Seid, Darkseid. xD
Well damn #007! That's a good number but I want to know who's the lucky collector that has or will recieve ES #134.

Congrats!
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #372
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
The no paint difference between the skin, gums, and teeth is just inexcusable.
It must be a sideshow thing. The OG Darkseid PF had the same colored teeth and gums as well.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #373
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLungs31 View Post

I definitely tend to lean more of a villain collector. I was looking at that Bane, was very tempted for a while, and if he was sculpted by Martin Canale it would be almost impossible to resist.
The OG Bane PF is a MONSTER. It's also sculpted by Canale. I can not recommend it highly enough. Although I really like the new MAQ, the OG PF is still my favorite. The MAQ is a great representation of the classic Graham Nolan Bane. The PF is more of a hulking David Finch looking modern Bane. You can't go wrong with either of them. I just prefer the PF.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #374
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Darkseid just stomped-in. Mixed take on this one.

As already stated by many; the over sprayed skirt is complete nonsense, the lack of paint depth for the stone skin tragic, & the rushed/cutting corners paint apps for the teeth(?), an obvious cheapening of a great sculpt element.

The sculpt itself is sublime, with Canale once again capturing the essence of a character beautifully. Love the thickness/mass, and the stretch and flex of the various muscle groups, as only Martin can sculpt.

The stance/pose of Darkseid is glorious, conveying that classic/iconic comic image perfectly, beautifully balanced with no lean.
Great sculpt overall, but my two great negatives are size & eyes.

The eyes, (as Thanos but worse!), do capture a slight glow effect, but are so rudimentary, simplified, & cheap looking, lacking any sense of depth, that it drives me fcking crazy. Even Sabretooth's pearled, whited-out eyes convey more depth/life than this! If eyes are windows to souls, we have been "blessed" by having these bloody overpriced things painted by deadhead trolls.

This Darkseid is simple undersized, & should have been slightly larger scale, with 11/2 to 2 inches taller, and with that, that extra mind-blowing muscle mass anatomy. Maybe not as big as Thanos, but when you switch out the portrait to the larger grimacing version? You get a sense of what could/should have been. Great sculpt, with wonderful presence, but frankly undersized, as the character, the artist, fans/customers, & The Justice League deserved better.

Overall, i'm broken on this one. Still a keeper, but also a weeper, simply because what simply should have been.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #375
SONICobra
Batman

yeah paint kind of lets this piece down, im planning a repaint at some point because i enjoy doing that (but no one should have to repaint a $650 statue)
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #376
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
yeah paint kind of lets this piece down, im planning a repaint at some point because i enjoy doing that (but no one should have to repaint a $650 statue)
Sonic, if you have the skill & the will, by all means, go for the painting kill. Bleed that Darkseid.

But seriously, it's a great sculpt that just needed a little, little bit more paint depth, possibly slightly larger size, do justice to the eyes, & this thing would have a presence/status akin to Thanos & Juggernaut. Pity.

Question. For those who have the painting skills and have repainted, or those who have had statues pro painted, if statues were ever sold in the after market, did they gain or lose value? In essence, does manipulating the original statue in any way diminish the value? Even if the repaint would be considered a vast improvement over the original?
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #377
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Sonic, if you have the skill & the will, by all means, go for the painting kill. Bleed that Darkseid.

But seriously, it's a great sculpt that just needed a little, little bit more paint depth, possibly slightly larger size, do justice to the eyes, & this thing would have a presence/status akin to Thanos & Juggernaut. Pity.

Question. For those who have the painting skills and have repainted, or those who have had statues pro painted, if statues were ever sold in the after market, did they gain or lose value? In essence, does manipulating the original statue in any way diminish the value? Even if the repaint would be considered a vast improvement over the original?

...This a very good question and would like to see the replies. I just can't see how it would hurt the aftermarket if the paint was upgraded.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #378
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLungs31 View Post
[/B]

...This a very good question and would like to see the replies. I just can't see how it would hurt the aftermarket if the paint was upgraded.
I don't know about statues but I can comment on other markets/hobbies.

In other collectible markets, it surprisingly drops the value so I'm interested in what would happen here. For example, I play a lot of MTG and have a lot of old cards, I had one that's very valuable ($1k USD) that had a hand painted extended art... Looked beautiful, but actually dropped the value of the item quite a lot. I still made money when I sold it but it would have been worth far more if it wasn't painted, even if it was damaged (mine was NM).

So yeah, very interesting question... I'm curious what others say on this as well.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #379
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I'm not sure but it is probably just like cars, you know. Or collectable cars like Ferrari or Lamborgini sport cars. Once you mess with the original paint, value goes down. Never mess with the orginal factory anything.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #380
IronLungs31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I'm not sure but it is probably just like cars, you know. Or collectable cars like Ferrari or Lamborgini sport cars. Once you mess with the original paint, value goes down. Never mess with the orginal factory anything.
That analogy makes sense to me.