Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-21-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Graded VHS Movies

Have you all heard of this? I stumbled upon them from a FB feed from a comic grading company. I looked over on ebay to see if it was legit & couldn't believe the prices dealers were asking for high graded studio released video tapes. I couldn't believe it. I probably have 300+ old, but kept in good condition VHS tapes that I stacked away in cabinets. Might have to go through them. Since when did old video tapes become such a collectible?

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #2
bladou20
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I actually noticed this a while back while browsing E-bay. Usually, the most valuable ones are the first editions that are still factory sealed. I saw several copies of "Clash of the Titans" sell for about $250 with tons of bidders.

I can't say I'm surprised though. I had a N64 console that was still factory sealed. I paid almost nothing for it when I was in college and sold it for almost instantly for $350 a few years ago.
bladou20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Was not aware that VHS tapes were collectible but there are probably some things that were released on VHS that never made it to DVD or streaming like some vinyl never made it to CD’s and those things might have some value.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:09 AM   #4
Y3E
Gen 13

Quite a few Disney movies are worth money, Beauty and the Beast to name one.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 AM   #5
Demona
Martian Manhunter

This is insane to me. And guess what - I’m going to raid my Mom’s house when I get home at Christmas to see if I have anything of value laying around.

I know FOR SURE we had Beauty & The Beast, Little Mermaid, and Lion King around. Whether my Mon still has them in the cabinet remains to be seen.

Where does one get a VHS graded?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:44 AM   #6
ukshaun
Hercules

I guess VHS represents a slice of history. For quite some time, so called big box VHS tapes command high prices compared to the smaller box VHS would later become. Given the age of VHS, many tapes have either been dumped or in poor shape. Maybe at some point, 9.8 graded VHS tapes will be worth a small fortune, even if the film fails to play.

I have noticed Blu-ray cases are smaller than DVD cases. It means DVD users get to own larger cover art-work. Likewise, VHS cases had even bigger art-work, just because of the larger case.

On the subject of Blu-way vs DVD when it comes to cover art-work. Sometimes each format gets it's own unique art-work, sometimes the DVD cover can look better than the Blu-ray cover. So annoying. I guess al those that stream and have moved on from physical media, couldn't careless.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:37 AM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
This is insane to me. And guess what - I?m going to raid my Mom?s house when I get home at Christmas to see if I have anything of value laying around.

I know FOR SURE we had Beauty & The Beast, Little Mermaid, and Lion King around. Whether my Mon still has them in the cabinet remains to be seen.

Where does one get a VHS graded?
Looks like a couple of companies do it with more on the way. VHSDNA is one & Investment Grading Services another - This article is worth a quick read - https://blog.gocollect.com/vhs-gradi...ewer-frontier/
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #8
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Thanks, Protector!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:13 AM   #9
Y3E
Gen 13

Demona, many of Disney's movies are valuable; Aladdin, Bambi, snow White, etc...It has to be the one that was released for the first time on vhs.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote