Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
dr_teng

Gentle Giant Babydoll statue review

Full review with more (and higher-res) pictures over here :

Gentle Giant Babydoll Sucker Punch statue review

Straight up, this statue is gorgeous. I had seen it in person at SDCC behind a display case and while it was very appealing, it was even better in person. It manages to exude sex appeal despite being in an entirely calm and battle ready pose. The pose is simple, but the placement of the legs, the way the thighs curve just below the skirt, even the position of the arms manages to draw your eye upwards to the superbly sculpted face. Very impressive!

The detail is unreal. Perhaps the best detail work I’ve seen on a 1/4 scale statue to date. Sure, there’s the occasional paint issue in the hi-res pics (considerably larger than life) but look at how detailed the engravings are and in the next picture, how surprisingly well painted the INCREDIBLY TINY charms are on the gun. So impressive! About the only detail disappointment is the golden area on the sword handle, that could’ve been better.

The back of the statue has an interesting rubbery texture. I’m not sure what the purpose of it was unless they really wanted that texture, it’s a little less well painted than the rest. The rest of the statue is polystone I believe, it’s fairly heavy for a 1/4 scale piece for those that were curious about that.

The hair flows wonderfully, it’s some of the better looking hair I’ve seen on a statue. Lots of highlights and shading. The face has a nice subtle beauty to it with both the paint and expression. The paint across the whole statue is consistently solid with clean lines, fine details, and no splotches that I could see. Whatever factory put out this piece did an amazing job and judging by the general forum reaction, pretty much everyone got a superbly well painted statue.

The more I look at it, the more I find to like about it. When I initially saw the line I only wanted to order Amber but I’m glad I picked up Babydoll, easily one of the best statues in my collection. Even if you didn’t enjoy the movie, this statue is gorgeous and from early pictures of Amber, it looks like she continues the trend.

5/5. Definitely one of the times I feel my review pictures don’t do it justice. Though the video review may give a better idea!

If you guys don't want to see a busted up Babydoll (had to do it to get my replacement), stop reading at this point! Gotta say, it took some literal THROWING to get certain pieces to break off. The legs/arms came off easily but the rest? I thought I was going to chip my floor! It was pretty rough breaking such a great statue to get my replacement (even though it was already busted) but here you go :

Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
iceprince_x
Deadman

I hate the last pic!
I nearly vomited inside my mouth.
Its stomach churning and made me dazed and confused...

anyway... being an owner of Babydoll myself, yes she is the best 1/4 I have seen though the other Sucker Punch girls will beat her in details, Babydoll is the best one for me, in terms of being subtle and yet very much in character, like the one in the movie that I like.

great review! just can't believe... you did that! (last pic) LoL
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
You should take the one standing leg on the base and make the leg lamp from A Christmas Story out of it!!
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
dr_teng

Haha, that'd certainly be making a good use of the broken bits!