Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-09-2023, 05:12 AM   #261
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
My photos are genuine. They are from Arnie Kim's page. The neck seam might not be shown but the overall sculptural quality presented is far superior to that of a GI Joe action figure.

You have, in effect, compared a Porsche 911 to a Honda Civic and found the Porsche 911 to be no better than a Honda Civic. I find it intriguing. I wish you had photos to support your claim.

It is perfectly fine that you dislike it. I am just curious to see if it is really as bad as you've claimed it to be.
The fact that the head is stuck in with the same ugly seam as a gi Joe or ken doll, makes it more in the DOLL category than a statue…JND does not have that.
Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:18 AM   #262
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
When the only game in town was the Cinemaquette- or the woeful first (and now second) Sideshow, those Arnie Kim pieces come across as wholly impressive.

Even if they could have been had for a few hundred $ less than the JND, I still would have passed on them because like most Reeve pieces out there, they represent the older, bulkier, fuller faced later Reeve.
And TBH, even then I don't think the Supes portrait is substantially better than the JND. They both are somewhat general likenesses of the actor at slightly different points. I can see why some people might feel the Kim is stronger, but I personally think the JND portrait is more attractive, and I'm happier they went younger and leaner. It still has room to improve, and hopefully it will.
When it comes to costume-seriously, is there any contest here?

The third photo below represents what it would look like with the neck slightly shortened (as opposed to widening both the neck and jaw), the iris adjusted, and with general contrast & exposure adjustments. The first two should be easily doable tweaks, if only JND can be convinced in time to do them.

By the way, if that (somewhat creepy looking) Cinemaquette was priced around $2K in 2010 dollars, that translates to just under $2800 now.

The 4th image Arnie Kim, the portrait looks on the small side compared to the body.
The 'S' looks sewn 'into' the outfit rather than 'onto' the outfit.

LOADING: Image(s)

Compared to this.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:39 AM   #263
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
I'd say you're half right. Christopher Reeve was leaner in the first two movies but only in certain scenes. They were filming back to back and he was still adding mass throughout production. It's really obvious when watching the scene of him handing over the cat burglar. He looks pretty slim there. And then if you watch the desert scenes especially after the time reversal he's bulked up quite a bit.

Correct. The film had a very long shooting schedule, especially compared to movies today, and his physique does change throughout the movie.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #264
pdenham
Teen Titans

No argument there. I was going to reply yesterday, but Master Pizza covered it...and going forward I'm going to dial back and try not to monopolize the conversation.

Some of the most radical differences in his physique occur in II because the ending scenes in the Fortress (and anything there with Hackman in the same shot) were among the earliest footage of him in costume.

Also the pre-reveal scenes set in the Daily Planet in STM show a much lankier Reeve.

One last photo manip- The JND portrait still needs work- and shortening the neck would only get it part way there. They really do need to widen the jaw and neck, in addition (and fix the eye orientation!).
If they don't, it's going to be hard to cough up the balance when the time comes, and just as hard to let it go as e this might be the last halfway good stab at the character. The big fans of this are going to be rapidly aging out soon, and it lacks any relevance whatsoever for the under 40 demographic.

This property (the first film) is now farther back in the past than the Kirk Alyn serials were to it, when it was released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lankyclark2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	164109   Click image for larger version

Name:	lankyclark3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	164110   Click image for larger version

Name:	lankyreeve1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	164111   Click image for larger version

Name:	lankyreeve2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	164112   Click image for larger version

Name:	lankyreeve3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	164113  

Name:	christopher_reeve5.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	164115   Click image for larger version

Name:	supejnd3,0.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	705.4 KB
ID:	164116  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #265
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I'd say you're half right. Christopher Reeve was leaner in the first two movies but only in certain scenes. They were filming back to back and he was still adding mass throughout production. It's really obvious when watching the scene of him handing over the cat burglar. He looks pretty slim there. And then if you watch the desert scenes especially after the time reversal he's bulked up quite a bit.
That maybe the case. However, I reckon the majority of CR Superman fans would likely remember him with a stronger physique rather than the leaner one, at least to me anyway.

I would much prefer to see a statue of him that looks more superhero-like with a bulkier physique.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:07 AM   #266
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
No argument there. I was going to reply yesterday, but Master Pizza covered it...and going forward I'm going to dial back and try not to monopolize the conversation.

Some of the most radical differences in his physique occur in II because the ending scenes in the Fortress (and anything there with Hackman in the same shot) were among the earliest footage of him in costume.

Also the pre-reveal scenes set in the Daily Planet in STM show a much lankier Reeve.

One last photo manip- The JND portrait still needs work- and shortening the neck would only get it part way there. They really do need to widen the jaw and neck, in addition (and fix the eye orientation!).
If they don't, it's going to be hard to cough up the balance when the time comes, and just as hard to let it go as e this might be the last halfway good stab at the character. The big fans of this are going to be rapidly aging out soon, and it lacks any relevance whatsoever for the under 40 demographic.

This property (the first film) is now farther back in the past than the Kirk Alyn serials were to it, when it was released.
That last photomanip would be a phenomenal portrait. If JND changes the sculpt to look like that I'm going to have sell off some pieces to pay for this thing.

Also, I feel you on the aging out comment. My heart really isn't in this hobby anymore so I check out for stretches of time but occasionally something peaks my interest enough to re-engage. This JND Superman happens to be one of those things. Had some genuine excitement built up before the full reveal but I'm not as disappointed as I was with other Reeve pieces out there. Still not impressed enough to shell out that much cash though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
That maybe the case. However, I reckon the majority of CR Superman fans would likely remember him with a stronger physique rather than the leaner one, at least to me anyway.

I would much prefer to see a statue of him that looks more superhero-like with a bulkier physique.
As long as he looks accurate to my minds eye I'm good. Of course it's not the same for everyone but I believe it's possible to make something that the consensus of Reeve fans would say "that's my Superman".
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:48 AM   #267
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
That last photomanip would be a phenomenal portrait. If JND changes the sculpt to look like that I'm going to have sell off some pieces to pay for this thing.
The thing is, all the changes to the photo are simply changing scaling of certain areas or position (iris).
I'm not introducing anything that isn't already there in the photos of it JND has supplied. The proportions simply need to be tweaked in a few small, critical areas.

Last photos, I promise.

the comparison is self explanatory.
The second photo shows what exactly was re-scaled (neck and jaw widened by 4%), along with about the neck being cut/ shortened by about 20%.

Small changes= big difference.

No reason, with what they have already, this can't be the Reeve figure all other would be judged by in the future.

I have to be careful because while I can see how good this can be, that doesn't mean it will be. It's a property that has always meant a lot to me, so there's plenty incentive there to fool myself that it's turned out better than it has. The final cost there is way too steep to settle for something that can easily be improved with this much production time left.

If they do make the right changes, and it comes out well, this will almost certainly be my retirement piece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jndcompare annotated.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	164123   Click image for larger version

Name:	supejndarea.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	711.8 KB
ID:	164124   Click image for larger version

Name:	manipduo.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	800.1 KB
ID:	164125  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:20 PM   #268
Jez
Fantastic Four

Does anyone know if its still possible to pre order this?
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:28 PM   #269
Deelym
Doh!

Looks like it’s still available on Spec Fiction and Big Bad Toy Store.
Deelym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:28 PM   #270
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Footage from Shanghai Wonder Festival round 2:47 mark. Maybe I'm just getting use to the portrait for Superman but I'm not as against it as I was before.

https://youtu.be/FoktbGgO4u4?si=3742KdLNLZM3cwj9
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote