Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
NullSkier
A day without sunshine is like... night.

James Gunn and producer Peter Safran taking over DC Studios as co-chairs and co-CEOs

Pretty big news for DC movies, TV, and animation this afternoon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...on-1235248438/
NullSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:50 AM   #2
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I like James Gunn. Guardians of The Galaxy films are my two absolute favorite Marvel Films. I enjoyed his The Suicide Squade as well. I don't know Peter Safran though... I heard about him for the First time.

Gunn even pitched a secret project. I hope that is a Plastic Man film. (: James Gunn really shines when it comes to comedy. I believe he would make a very good Plastic Man Film.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:15 AM   #3
AC_808
Hercules

I like James Gunn as well. I like what he did for Marvel.

However, I don't know how well he knows the DC characters and how adamant he will be in making sure the DC characters stay true to the source material. Their success will depend on how well they stay true to the source material and on how well they tell their story on the big screen.

We'll find out. But at least DC Studios now has 2 co-drivers to lead the way.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
Ralek
Fantastic Four

I second what was already said in terms of liking James Gunn.

His GoG movies are my personal favourites in the MCU and definitely the ones I rewatch most. I feel they strike the right balance between stakes, depth and quirky fun. They also feel more "Gunn" than "MCU" if that makes sense. In that sense they are pretty unique and only really compare to Coogler's work on BP and maybe Rami's single outing so far.

That said, I am not 100% sure that Gunn and DC will be a great fit. I hope I am wrong and I very well maybe, but Suicide Squad worked in my mind because it's actually not that far removed from GoG in terms of being a bands of somewhat quirky misfits out doing adventuring stuff.

To succeed the DCEU needs much more "breadth" than that though. Still, as I said in the movie review thread, I definitely prefer the choice of Gunn and Safran over The Rock as the ones masterminding the next attempt.

I feel there would have been more obvious choice out there though. Matt Reeves certainly brought his A game with Batman, not just in terms of his directing, but in terms of a cohesive vision of a world for (at least) Batman to inhabit. That is no small feat and to me a major part of what has been missing from anything than came before, even from Nolan's work, which I deeply admire and cherish more than almost anyone else's.
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote